Varjo Aero

Associate
The Varjo Aero has just had it's price reduced by 50% to 990Eur, from all the reviews and features seems like it's an amazing headset. I want to upgrade from my original vive and considered the bigscreen, hp reverb g2 but the price drop has convinced me and just ordered one. 2 -4 weeks delivery though :(

If the below is correct should be a decent upgrade from my Vive
FHMcmXH.png

Thanks LittleNose - This is the link for the redshift patch
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/page/43/

Last edited:
Associate
Yep looks decent price now and quality product. Thought about it myself. From what many are saying about the Crystal will be a much better experience. Having existing base stations set up it’s a ‘no brainer’.
Since getting rid of my Rift and 3 x sensors off the wall I really don’t want to go back to that again, even though tracking is better.

Associate
It's brilliant for us consumers that the high end consumer VR market is in competition... I think I'll be ordering an Aero today too, it was previously jsut too expensive for me.
I'm personally not interested in the Pimax due to the accounts I've heard about build quiality and hassles with software.
The big screen beyond was at the top of my list, but I was waiting for real users reviews to start coming in over the next few months before committing.

Associate
OP
Nice I was considering others like the bigscreen but not sure about the long term of the rubber? face cover and ability to share it, the pimax sounds like the software isn't great yet and the battery as well. Stand alone are good but not sure if they could just remove pcvr ability or an update break it as often seems like a secondary function. The only other was the reverb but this just sounds like it has more to offer.

Last edited:
Associate
I owned an Aero for 6 months last year, didn't own it longer as i kept getting sent Aero's with dead pixels so got a refund in the end. At 990 euros it's a much more realistic proposition. The image quality is great, really high res, great colours, vertical fov a bit small though. The software that is used was really good. If you have and like basestations/index controllers then this is well worth considering imo.

Soldato
I owned an Aero for 6 months last year, didn't own it longer as i kept getting sent Aero's with dead pixels so got a refund in the end.

Some people went through 4/5 headsets before either giving up, or getting a refund. Heard the earlier ones were really bad.
Problem with VR is that they have tiny screens magnified with a lens, so seeing dead pixels is quite easy for the untrained eye. They really need to get this sorted out.

Associate
Some people went through 4/5 headsets before either giving up, or getting a refund. Heard the earlier ones were really bad.
Problem with VR is that they have tiny screens magnified with a lens, so seeing dead pixels is quite easy for the untrained eye. They really need to get this sorted out.
yeh it was really bad for a while, i think it may have improved later on....or maybe there wasn't as many as they weren't selling as many, idk. i know you've had very bad luck with dead pixels, i've had 3 vr headsets in succession with dead pixels, it's my biggest fear when buying them now.

Soldato
yeh it was really bad for a while, i think it may have improved later on....or maybe there wasn't as many as they weren't selling as many, idk. i know you've had very bad luck with dead pixels, i've had 3 vr headsets in succession with dead pixels, it's my biggest fear when buying them now.

That's why I'm almost certainly going to buy the somnium vr1. They guarantee zero dead pixels, and scan the panels before production.
My other hope is that these upcoming 4K Micro OLEDs which everyone is ordering will be better quality, so maybe I will try a Pico 5 at some point (doubtful as I promised never to buy pimax or pico again, but who knows).

Here's a list of all the headsets I've had with them....

1 x Pimax 5K Super
1 x Pimax 8KX
1 x Meta Quest Pro
8 x Pico Neo 3 Link
1 x Pico 4 (maybe 2 I can't remember)

Like you, I dread switching it on for the first time.

Last edited:
Associate
That's why I'm almost certainly going to buy the somnium vr1. They guarantee zero dead pixels, and scan the panels before production.
My other hope is that these upcoming 4K Micro OLEDs which everyone is ordering will be better quality, so maybe I will try a Pico 5 at some point (doubtful as I promised never to buy pimax or pico again, but who knows).

Here's a list of all the headsets I've had with them....

1 x Pimax 5K Super
1 x Pimax 8KX
1 x Meta Quest Pro
8 x Pico Neo 3 Link
1 x Pico 4 (maybe 2 I can't remember)

Like you, I dread switching it on for the first time.
That's a good sign from Somnium, although Varjo said similar on discord when the problem with dead pixels became apparent...but they were still shipping with dead pixels.

That's a bad run of luck (your headset history of dead pixels), i don't think that's typical tbh, or atleast i hope not. For me i had 2 successive Aero's then a Quest 2 with dead pixels. I've had 4 Quest 2's and only 1 had dead pixels however, but both the Aero's did.

I don't understand people who say just ignore them, they're impossible to unsee once seen.

Soldato
That's a good sign from Somnium, although Varjo said similar on discord when the problem with dead pixels became apparent...but they were still shipping with dead pixels.

That's a bad run of luck (your headset history of dead pixels), i don't think that's typical tbh, or atleast i hope not. For me i had 2 successive Aero's then a Quest 2 with dead pixels. I've had 4 Quest 2's and only 1 had dead pixels however, but both the Aero's did.

I don't understand people who say just ignore them, they're impossible to unsee once seen.

Yeah, I spend more time looking at the damn pixel than the game :cry:

Associate
OP
It sounds like most headsets likely have issues, and as long as the company is good to deal with them that is great. I had some on my current one or thought I did and it was just eye floaters or whatever they are called, so just ignored them

Soldato

The @TheOracle has a dead pixel in his eye, so he's always going to have problems with new headsets.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

Soldato
The @TheOracle has a dead pixel in his eye, so he's always going to have problems with new headsets.
50743288142_4132b2c759_o_d.gif

haha, I'm sure you've said that to me before. I just have this awful trait where my eyes for some reason instantly focus on them
Literally, most of the time I spot them before the headset has finished booting up :cry:

at least dead pixels on OLED are black, and with the 4K resolution even if you do have them, you probably won't notice

Associate
OP
I heard on a few reviews and videos, can't remember which, that they just thought it was too high priced, but I would imagine they want to to take customers from Pimax. Another thing which may be worth considering is people saying it doesn't work with AMD cards, not sure why though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom