Velma Is Complete And Utter Trash

Associate
I'm assuming people complaining about the casting haven't watched it or only watch it through the lens woke bad

Velma seems like it’s upsetting both sides of its potential audience here. Sure, there will be the usual “diversity recasting” haters, but if you watch the show itself, it feels like it’s almost making fun of shows that do diversity casting or social messaging. It’s led what you might have assumed would be a more left-leaning fanbase for the show to accuse creator Mindy Kaling of making it actually a somewhat conservative project, as people cite past comments she’s made and things like her liking recent JK Rowling tweets as evidence of her personal views.

I actually watched it and it does lampoon both sides quite a bit. In the part where Fred looks like Hitler there's a comment that "we compare everyone to Hitler that's what we do" or similar so this isn't written by a massive lefty. It's an attempt to get something more along the lines of Rick and Morty or Venture Bros just executed really badly and used the wrong IP.

The it's bad because it's woke narrative gets old it's bad because it's bad

Caporegime
OP
I actually thought the OP had posted a straight-up unedited clip of the show for me to assess myself. Lol as if. Gotta get that rage going by listening to some wacko YouTuber preach for 5mins instead. :rolleyes:

But those ARE from the Show... So? Scam much? :cry:

Man of Honour
From what I gather, the show suffers from being massively too meta, in a grating way.

Actually, it sounds like this show is exactly what people were accusing the 2016 Ghostbusters as being. Seems that Fred is given a really raw deal.

Ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t amazing, but it was fine. It was playful with its dumb male secretary, but it was never cruel or dismissive.

Velma as a show seems overly cynical. Again, from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ghostbusters 2016 wasn’t amazing, but it was fine. It was playful with its dumb male secretary, but it was never cruel or dismissive.
The problem with doing a gender swap on Janine is they totally dismissed anything about her character with the recasting of Hemsworth. Janine was never dumb, she was annoyed and frustrated with the team but never an idiot.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The problem with doing a gender swap on Janine is they totally dismissed anything about her character with the recasting of Hemsworth. Janine was never dumb, she was annoyed and frustrated with the team but never an idiot.

Yup, his character was an idiot in a playful spin against the stereotype of the dumb sexy secretary. These characteristics weren’t in the original character, you’re right. But as I said, I never felt this change was mean spirited or punishing. It was very light mocking, of the sort that everyone should be able to take on the chin in a way that dismisses that it’s even a ‘punch’ (because it’s not a ‘punch’).

But you’re more than entitled to just dislike the character and the changes.

The new iteration of Fred just seems a bit too mean and cynical: he’s a mean, entitled idiot that’s shown to have a tiny penis - which together with his whiteness is used suggest he is the culprit of some murders.

I mean, it’s clearly attempting to be playful as well, but it’s just too bitter to work.

Soldato
Yup, his character was an idiot in a playful spin against the stereotype of the dumb sexy secretary. These characteristics weren’t in the original character, you’re right. But as I said, I never felt this change was mean spirited or punishing. It was very light mocking, of the sort that everyone should be able to take on the chin in a way that dismisses that it’s even a ‘punch’ (because it’s not a ‘punch’).

But you’re more than entitled to just dislike the character and the changes.
You're right, it was never spiteful, just playful. I guess it stands out as they made the core group of women generally have the same characteristics as the original 'busters, this just felt like a cheap shot.

Soldato
You're right, it was never spiteful, just playful. I guess it stands out as they made the core group of women generally have the same characteristics as the original 'busters, this just felt like a cheap shot.

It's funny that he was easily the funniest thing in that movie, the deleted scene at the end was the first time I even cracked a smile

Soldato
But those ARE from the Show... So? Scam much? :cry:
All I heard was some Scottish guy telling me what he thinks cut over some old clips of Scooby Doo. By that point I’d already given up. I don’t need to be told what to think about a show. Stop feeding his ad revenue, he clearly has an agenda and is trying to make a living out of hating on any “current” media. You’re just feeding the beast.

If you’re interested in a show, watch it and make up your own mind. Don’t post other YouTubers opinion as your own for this anti-woke agenda. I’m so bored of need being “this happened and everyone on Twitter is RAGING” etc. It’s nonsense.

I need a coffee, clearly.

Last edited:
All I heard was some Scottish guy telling me what he thinks cut over some old clips of Scooby Doo. By that point I’d already given up. I don’t need to be told what to think about a show. Stop feeding his ad revenue, he clearly has an agenda and is trying to make a living out of hating on any “current” media. You’re just feeding the beast.

If you’re interested in a show, watch it and make up your own mind. Don’t post other YouTubers opinion as your own for this anti-woke agenda. I’m so bored of need being “this happened and everyone on Twitter is RAGING” etc. It’s nonsense.

That is by definition, a review. You watch a guy or girl's review, you watch the film or show and see if you agree with them. The reviewer in question, if it is who I think it is, has reviewed many older films too. I happen to agree with his opinion on much of what he says about them and I see him as a fairly good barometer of a new piece of media. Other reviewers have concurred with the review and the scores on IMDB and RT all show a very poor showing.

Associate
Is anyone saying it is good (someone must be?).
A few video have popped up saying it is bad but none so far saying how good it is? (Not watched it myself)

This.

I dont get it scooby doo has been appalling for decades. lol at grown men (well) complaining about a show that isnt even aimed at them.
Then who is it aim at?

fez

fez

Caporegime

Plenty of people do watch the things he reviews and come to the same conclusions. He also reviews things well when they are actually good. His bread and butter for a lot of people is the negative reviews though but there are rich pickings these days when it comes to **** media. Sometimes people watch reviewers to see if they are likely to like something before committing hours of their life to it as well. If a friend who has the same taste in music suggests something to you then you are more likely to listen to that than if you were just left to your own devices.

Permabanned
So it's a woke show that also manages to offend people on the left, interesting. Seems like the target audience is just one person, Mindy Kaling.

Yes, you can get a lot of attention very quickly by releasing the most offence garbage TV series possible, but you can do the same by setting yourself on fire.... Not sure she's thought this through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom