Velma Is Complete And Utter Trash

Soldato
Think you might be doing 2+2=5 here. People watch his reviews for many reasons.

Yes, they do, including looking for ammunition (or being presented with it via social media) to spout off about an "woke agenda" leftist conspiracy or whatever it is that's currently got their angry little mind(s) fixated. "IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!""!!!?"

Which was the point that you tried to refute that by posting that people might want to watch a youtube review to help in the decision to commit hours of their life to a Scooby Doo remake.

I know which premise is most laughable. It's a cartoon FFS.

Last edited:
Associate
It is bad in my opinion, but not for the reasons given in either of those videos (side note, the people presenting those videos are clearly morons, especially the guy on the right in the second video).

I think the show is bad because:
It's obviously made with profit as one of the main motives, rather than artistic expression.
It pushes an ideological agenda*
It's not funny

*I happen to agree (for the most part) with the ideology they are pushing, but that's irrelevant. If you want to push an ideology through artistic means that's great, but please create something new from scratch to do so, don't rehash a classic artistic work from decades ago (unless the original happened to push the same ideology, not the case here though) and twist it beyond recognition to suit your ideology.

The people in the videos posted here hate it because:
They disagree with the ideology
The show is very popular, therefore lots of people (supposedly) agreeing with the ideology being pushed, which makes the reviewers personally angry (because as previously stated, they are morons).

If the ideology being pushed was one that aligned with the right-wing "anti-woke" agenda of those presenters, they'd love it. I would still dislike it just as much for the same reasons I stated above.

But there's also plenty of morons on the other side, people who do like the show, claiming that it's impossible for anyone to dislike the show for reasons other than racism/transphobia/homophobia/etc, i.e. anyone who dislikes the show is automatically racist/transphobic regardless of the actual reasons given for disliking it. Which is absurd in the extreme. This annoys me even more than the kind of opinions given in the linked youtube videos.

All I heard was some Scottish guy telling me what he thinks cut over some old clips of Scooby Doo. By that point I’d already given up. I don’t need to be told what to think about a show. Stop feeding his ad revenue, he clearly has an agenda and is trying to make a living out of hating on any “current” media. You’re just feeding the beast.

If you’re interested in a show, watch it and make up your own mind. Don’t post other YouTubers opinion as your own for this anti-woke agenda. I’m so bored of need being “this happened and everyone on Twitter is RAGING” etc. It’s nonsense.

I need a coffee, clearly.

Also this.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to push an ideology through artistic means that's great, but please create something new from scratch to do so, don't rehash a classic artistic work from decades ago (unless the original happened to push the same ideology, not the case here though) and twist it beyond recognition to suit your ideology.

They can't because they have no talent. They're hired to tick boxes, to make shows that tick boxes.

Caporegime
If you want to push an ideology through artistic means that's great, but please create something new from scratch to do so, don't rehash a classic artistic work from decades ago (unless the original happened to push the same ideology, not the case here though) and twist it beyond recognition to suit your ideology.

They can't because they have no talent. They're hired to tick boxes, to make shows that tick boxes.
I haven't seen the show and I have no intention of watching the show.

But thought I would at least Google the creator to see what else they have done.

They were a writer on SNL and The Office though, two pretty big credits.

Soldato
I haven't seen the show and I have no intention of watching the show.

But thought I would at least Google the creator to see what else they have done.

They were a writer on SNL and The Office though, two pretty big credits.

SNL? That's not saying much these days. The Office was already written 20 years ago.

Hardly enough to helm a show in any case - and it shows.

Caporegime
You could have also googled Mindy Kaling and discovered that her actions are at odds with the virtue signalling she likes to do.

Couldn't care less about this show, but it's obvious why it's ended up this way with her at the helm.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yes, they do, including looking for ammunition (or being presented with it via social media) to spout off about an "woke agenda" leftist conspiracy or whatever it is that's currently got their angry little mind(s) fixated. "IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!""!!!?"

Which was the point that you tried to refute that by posting that people might want to watch a youtube review to help in the decision to commit hours of their life to a Scooby Doo remake.

I know which premise is most laughable. It's a cartoon FFS.

I'm sure some people do. I watch his reviews after I have watched some shows/films to see if he agreed with some of my views on them. I watch his reviews to see if I might like a show or film I am considering and I watch some of his reviews of stuff that I have no intention of watching either way. Usually because I have heard that its generally a mess and wanted to watch a 5-10 minute summary on it.

Like most people I don't tend to take these things overly seriously and if I have a strong opinion on a show it will be because I have watched it.

The reason people like him do so well is because people watch his content because they like it, others will watch it because they want to complain about him and he creates a polarised discussion like this thread where people are making grand claims about things that are really quite simple. Both sides are arguing against something that doesn't exist up to a point and ascribing an extreme viewpoint that doesn't exist in most people.

I don't agree with everything he says but I broadly agree that the mainstream media industry is churning out a lot of crap that seems more concerned with identity politics and ticking boxes than it does making good media. That being said, good film and TV is still being made. Bad TV and film was made in the past, it was just bad for different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom