What Audiobooks are you listening to ?

Soldato
I'm looking for audiobook recommendations. I don't read novels and have not paid attention to novels so unless I can think of a film I like to see if it has an audiobook I don't know what to look for. I currently use Audible and some sequel books aren't on there which is why I've not listened to JP: The Lost World.

I've listened to War of The Worlds, Jurassic Park, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Bequin, 1984 and currently listening to Animal Farm.

Associate
If you liked War of the Worlds there was a sequel book called the Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter that I quite enjoyed the audiobook for.

Associate
Down and out in Paris and London, George Orwell. (For the third time. Many years apart.)
The Salt Path, Raynor winn.
A Waiter in Paris By: Edward Chisholm.

I'll go through a couple of audio books a week.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Currently listening to "Junkyard pirate" by Jamie McFarlane, really enjoying this so far, narrated by Mikael Naramore

"Knocking at death’s door. Bargaining for a second chance. Seems like a heck of a way to find out about an alien invasion… Vietnam vet Albert Jenkins is battling a bulging waistline and a passion for drink. So when a towering pile of scrap rocket parts falls and crushes the stubborn curmudgeon, he thinks it’s finally the end. But just as he’s about to take one final breath, a snarky alien parasite offers him a deal: his life in return for sharing his body. With a little coaxing from his new pop-culture-loving inner resident, AJ’s broken carcass improves so much that even an old flame is impressed. But his bright outlook fizzles when he discovers he's at ground zero of a galactic conspiracy to strip Earth of precious resources humans don't even know exist. Can the unlikely partners join forces and use AJ's rusty military skills to raise the alarm? Or, will the alien invaders put him down once and for all?"

Soldato
Relistening to James Clavells - Shogun.

Took me a while to warm to it again as I've listened too and watched the series a good few times. However, after a few chapters I'm hooked again to point I'm now tempted to make my way through the whole Asian Saga again.

Incidentally I see there's a remake of the TV series out next year, the trailer looks a bit iffy so not holding out much hope but you never know.

Man of Honour
Just finished Big Beacon, now on to Garth Meranghi's Terrortome and already loving it. Spot on for anyone who is a fan of Garth Meranghis Dark Place tv show.

Soldato
The Dawn of Everything by David Graeber and David Wengrow. Interesting and very long examination of human history and questioning the current narrative about it's course based on accepted but incorrect theories by Rousseau and Hobbes.

Soldato
Currently listening to 'No Comment' by Jess McDonald, about a young lady's experience in joining the Met Police as part of a fast track to Detective program in 2016. About 60-70% in and it's an interesting listen.

Man of Honour
Just about finished my re-listen to He Who Fights With Monsters books 1-9 just in time for book 10 tom come out in a few days.

Also started the Jack Ryan series again. Been a few years since I've listened or read them. I'm going to do them in chronological order rather than release order too. Also, only the ones actually written by Tom Clancy.

Just remembered that I also need to listen to Dungeon Crawler Carl book 6 - The Eye of the Bedlam Bride

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently listening to 'No Comment' by Jess McDonald, about a young lady's experience in joining the Met Police as part of a fast track to Detective program in 2016. About 60-70% in and it's an interesting listen.
Just finished Deep Cover which I would recommend. Shay Doyle becomes one of the UK's best under cover agents and tells how he did it in this book. After No Comment, you can't help but think that each book is about the different paths when joining the police when it doesn't suit you and then when you're good at it.

Man of Honour
He who fights with Monsters book 10 arrived in my library this morning. 25 hour book. Already 4 hours in. Binge listening to audiobooks is kinda my thing....

Associate
I've not picked up Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 yet - came out recently - but the whole DCC series is so good in audiobook format.

I highly recommend the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson.
I've just started #14 (of 15).
It takes a while for book 1 (Columbus Day) to get going
IIRC, it's 6-8hours before you meet the main character of the series!

Old Man's War by John Scalzi is excellent
I listen to books 1-3 on a regular basis but must admit to not really liking 4 & 5.

Project Hail Mary has already been mentioned but that is such a good audiobook - have listened to that 4 or 5 times already.

Ready Player One is great

The Breach series by Patrick Lee is also a firm favourite - wish he'd do more with the characters/universe

Man of Honour
I've not picked up Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 yet - came out recently - but the whole DCC series is so good in audiobook format.

If you want a different take on DCC book 1, the guys behind the audiobook (soundbooth theater) have got the chance to do a full cast version with music and sound effects and everything. It's really, really good. Slightly different to the previous version, it's been slightly re-written by Matt Dinniman. First part is free as well.

Soldato
I quite enjoyed 'A Bit of a Stretch', so now listening to 'Time After Time: Repeat Offenders' both by Chris Atkins, the investigative reporter that did 2½ years in prison for fraud.

Back
Top Bottom