What Audiobooks are you listening to ?

Associate
If you want a different take on DCC book 1, the guys behind the audiobook (soundbooth theater) have got the chance to do a full cast version with music and sound effects and everything. It's really, really good. Slightly different to the previous version, it's been slightly re-written by Matt Dinniman. First part is free as well.

Thanks for that - hadn't heard about it - will add part 1 to my listening queue :)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Just finished The Wheel of Time Book 2 The Great Hunt. TV show wasn't even close to how good it was in the novel. Onto book 3 The Dragon Reborn. Becoming a huge fan of the series!!

Associate
OP
The Lies of Locke Lamora, the first book in the Gentlemen B@#!"~#d series, loved this book and the narration is brilliant, well recommended.

"An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman B@#!"~#ds, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying."
"
lteiuh8.jpg

Associate
The Lies of Locke Lamora, the first book in the Gentlemen B@#!"~#d series, loved this book and the narration is brilliant, well recommended.

"An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman B@#!"~#ds, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying."

These are really good and worth getting into if you like fantasty audio books - its well narrated too. I did the usual thing of trying the first book then surfacing after 60-70hours later of the series.

I'm currently trying the Wheels of Time Series, the newer ones narrated by Rosamund Pike, and fair play I much prefer this to the Micheal Kramer narration. I sometimes struggle with female narrators (Apols, no offence meant, I don't like the fact that I do either!) but Rosamund nails it. I've already picked up the next 2 in the series.

Associate
Just about finished my re-listen to He Who Fights With Monsters books 1-9 just in time for book 10 tom come out in a few days.

Also started the Jack Ryan series again. Been a few years since I've listened or read them. I'm going to do them in chronological order rather than release order too. Also, only the ones actually written by Tom Clancy.

Just remembered that I also need to listen to Dungeon Crawler Carl book 6 - The Eye of the Bedlam Bride
I'm 10 hours into book 1 of HWFWM and thoroughly enjoying it!

Soldato
I'm currently listening to Book 13 (Fallout) in the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. Although the series can be a bit repetitive I am really enjoying it. What makes it so enjoyable for me is, the performance of the narrator - JC Bray, the interaction between the main two characters which gives some priceless moments that made me laugh - although its not a comedy some parts are genuinely funny. If you like Sci-Fi, space battles, unpleasant Aliens, and want to meet a unique character then I'd highly recommend it...

Soldato
The Life of Lee (Lee Evans Autobiography) - Interesting and amusing read, all about his life before stardom. Read, very well, by Lee himself.

The Black Echo (Bosch book 1) - Really enjoyed this. Will almost certainly listen to more.

The Killing Floor (Reacher book 1) - Only about halfway in and enjoying it but, whilst the narrator does some great voices for the characters, he sometimes has quite an annoying cadence on the narrative parts. "Da-da-dee. Da-da-dee. Da-da-dee. Da-da-dee."

Soldato
Currently finishing off the Darth Bane Star Wars books. I've read them multiple times so decided to listen to the audio books, I always listen to a book when driving and when I'm in the kitchen cooking, and as much as I'm enjoying them, these are the first audio books I've listened to that had sound effects and music over the reading which, at first, was annoying but now I can tune that part out. I've listened to audiobook dramtisations, there's some good Alien Universe dramtised books on Audible, which have sound effects and music but they have multiple cast members so are done like a radio play.

When I've finished the 3rd book, 3h33m09s left, I'll listen to Darth Plegueis.

Associate
Taking a break from Expeditionary Force after finishing audiobook 14 and have been binging the Murderbot Diaries series...

Some of them are free, some of them are short for a full audible credit, but they are all very good!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just finished Expeditionary force: Columbus day

why is this not a TV series or movie? done scene for scene exactly as the book is????? :mad:

Don't be put off by the dumb patriotic hold my beer line in that trailer, the books not forced American gung ho type rubbish and the main character is a likeable guy.

The first book was free on audible but seems that changed as we entered march sadly.
It's absolutely brilliant, it's listed around the web as a "comedy scifi" but it's proper science fiction first..

The comedy is mostly one character that has a cameo in the cyberpunk game, he has the same name so anyone whos played that will know. (confirmed from the cyberpunk wiki)

The books wrote by an American but the comedy is absolutely 10/10 hilarious not the goofy/cringe crap they usually shoehorn in. (just wait for it!)

I only listen to audio books when I go for a walk and I walked for 4.4hours in total yesterday :O purely because I think I'm addicted to this book series.

It's really that good.

First 7 mins of book 1

If an earth setting is boring to you then don't worry the earth part is only a few chapters and then the book really gets going :D

especially once the character cyberpunk stole for a side quest enters the the story.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just finished Expeditionary force: Columbus day

why is this not a TV series or movie? done scene for scene exactly as the book is????? :mad:

Don't be put off by the dumb patriotic hold my beer line in that trailer, the books not forced American gung ho type rubbish and the main character is a likeable guy.

The first book was free on audible but seems that changed as we entered march sadly.
It's absolutely brilliant, it's listed around the web as a "comedy scifi" but it's proper science fiction first..

The comedy is basically one character that has a cameo in the cyberpunk game, he has the same name so anyone whos played that will know. (confirmed from the cyberpunk wiki)

The books wrote by an American but the comedy is absolutely 10/10 hilarious not the goofy/cringe crap they usually shoehorn in.

I only listen to audio books when I go for a walk and I walked for 4.4hours in total yesterday :O purely because I think I'm addicted to this book series.

It's really that good.

First 7 mins of book 1

If an earth setting is boring to you then don't worry the earth part is only a few chapters and then the book really gets going :D
Whilst I loved every single one, they are extremely formulaic after a while. The ending of the series is pretty "meh".

Some of the best bits of the lore are left unexplored too which was really frustrating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom