What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Civil War - 5/10 - A road-trip movie more than an action film, the cast are good actors but don't have a lot of consistency (strong one second, falling apart another) and the young woman holds up well considering who she's acting next to but I'm a little disappointed in the Writer/Director (Garland), whose earlier work I really liked (28 days, Dredd, Ex Machina etc), over some of the writing choices he made. The story is meh TBH, in an attempt to not "pick a side" it comes across as very inoffensive and misses the mark a lot due to that, but if you want to keep both "sides" happy (and your box office full) thats the path I think you have to pick, only with such a film I wish they'd been more insightful and shown the the extremes of both sides in action.

There will be a lot of talk about "is it left/right, is it about Trump" etc and as they picked a more neutral tone, its not really about any of that. As mentioned its more of a road trip through the war following the Journalists through small towns/situations hitting small little stories (lots of cameos), then moving on after 10 minutes to the next small story then rinse/repeat, which means it seems to lack the "bigness" that a real US civil war would have all around the world (which gets virtually no mention, its all kept inside the US).

In the end it felt like the desire to not offend is this films biggest weak spot which, although this may have been done for solid financial reasons, leaves you feeling a bit "is that it" by the end. The 3rd act in Washington has some good combat scenes (mostly in the Trailer) but by that point the scale so far has been so small that this final "OMG!!!!" feels like watching the intro to a "White House Down" movie, rather than the thrilling climax to the entire US civil war.

I won't spoil the ending but people will take from the ending exactly what they want to see. It's not something I'll bother seeing again, its just OK at best TBH with nothing that stands out enough to make repeated viewing a necessity for me.

Soldato
Ghostbusters : Frozen Empire - 6/10

Pretty formulaic movie that gets extra points because a) it was better than the last one and b) it had a real Ghostbusters feel to it (probably as they had many original references in it)

Associate
Monkey Man 6.5/10
Fairly good action film without ever coming close to being great. Dev Patel suddenly turning into prime John Wick without any real explanation in the plot was a bit of strange one however fun all the same.

Man of Honour
Hot Shots (1991)

Not too bad, not as funny as I remember or maybe my sense of humour has matured more than the jokes. Unlikely, I can still get a laugh out of Naked Gun and Airplane.

5/10

Soldato
Civil War - 5/10 - A road-trip movie more than an action film, the cast are good actors but don't have a lot of consistency (strong one second, falling apart another) and the young woman holds up well considering who she's acting next to but I'm a little disappointed in the Writer/Director (Garland), whose earlier work I really liked (28 days, Dredd, Ex Machina etc), over some of the writing choices he made. The story is meh TBH, in an attempt to not "pick a side" it comes across as very inoffensive and misses the mark a lot due to that, but if you want to keep both "sides" happy (and your box office full) thats the path I think you have to pick, only with such a film I wish they'd been more insightful and shown the the extremes of both sides in action.

There will be a lot of talk about "is it left/right, is it about Trump" etc and as they picked a more neutral tone, its not really about any of that. As mentioned its more of a road trip through the war following the Journalists through small towns/situations hitting small little stories (lots of cameos), then moving on after 10 minutes to the next small story then rinse/repeat, which means it seems to lack the "bigness" that a real US civil war would have all around the world (which gets virtually no mention, its all kept inside the US).

In the end it felt like the desire to not offend is this films biggest weak spot which, although this may have been done for solid financial reasons, leaves you feeling a bit "is that it" by the end. The 3rd act in Washington has some good combat scenes (mostly in the Trailer) but by that point the scale so far has been so small that this final "OMG!!!!" feels like watching the intro to a "White House Down" movie, rather than the thrilling climax to the entire US civil war.

I won't spoil the ending but people will take from the ending exactly what they want to see. It's not something I'll bother seeing again, its just OK at best TBH with nothing that stands out enough to make repeated viewing a necessity for me.

Isn't the film more about the morals of journalism - the civil war is just a backdrop - so who cares if its republicans vs democrats or normals vs woke etc, it doesnt matter.

Again it's set during a civil war so the rest of the world is kind of irrelevant to the story anyway.

Also the scale is more a function of the budget - this wasn't from a major studio.

The problem with small studios releasing trailers like this is that people assume they are getting a $300m action movie... which this definitely isnt..

Soldato
Barbie - not sure what to rate it, 5/10? 4/10? 3?

Really liked the world they created (reminded me of the Truman show), felt they could have done a lot more with it. Seemed like a waste of effort.

The whole patriarchy story wasn't very well delivered either. It was all a bit too much like a twitter post rather than a film message? Did they dumb it down for the masses?

The film seemed to do nothing great. It should have either told the patriarchy history more effectively and seriously or should have played on the craziness of the world they created.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Willy's Wonderland (2021)

A Nicolas Cage film were he doesn't speak a word of dialogue, does some cleaning, fights and kills (serial killer possessed) animatronic characters, drinks pop, plays pinball while he waits for his car to be fixed, then leaves.

Depending on you're perspective it's total genius or utter dross. I'm on the side of dross.

1/10 (for the car)

Caporegime
Nope

I thought it was fun, didn't expect the concept to go the way it did, and I like it when that happens. 6/10

The Menu

Really enjoyed this, was great watching it all unfold, and surprisngly funny at a few points. 8/10

One Piece: Red

At first I was "WTF, is this a musical?", then later it all made more sense. It also felt a lot tighter as a film without all the bloat/filler that happens in the tv series. "Ouchie Finger" is now a meme in our house :D 7/10

Soldato
Demolition Man - 7/10

Never got to see this 1st time round at the cinema so went last night, it's a decent enough action romp from it's time (was released 1993) but the dialogue may upset a few people nowdays (Wesley Snipes making fun of Chinese people being 1 part), forgot Rob Schneider was in an uncredited role as well.

Caporegime
Demolition Man - 7/10

Never got to see this 1st time round at the cinema so went last night, it's a decent enough action romp from it's time (was released 1993) but the dialogue may upset a few people nowdays (Wesley Snipes making fun of Chinese people being 1 part), forgot Rob Schneider was in an uncredited role as well.
Why would a bad guy saying bad things upset people?

Soldato
Transformers - The Last Knight - 2/10

At this point in my tranformers watchathon I am not sure where to begin. Being set in London and not having a decent backing soundtrack to any part of the film, it was drab from the start.

This film absolutely butchers everything we've learnt and then some. The film is an absolute nightmare to watch because there are a massive number of close up shots combined with shaky cam. The worst thing was that for the whole film, the aspect ratio is constantly changing. I have never seen a film shift so much that it kind of hurts ones eyes.

ALL the characters suck, yes even the transformers this time.
British girl is fit but god irritating.
What was the point of the lame kids, and the girl who is hardly in it?
Why was John Torturro's character even in the film as he was in another country for the whole duration.
Cybertron was in Earths FACE in the last film but Unicron didn't appear, and Quintessa wasn't on Cybertron so wtf is that about?
Megatron is back? Wtf did Galvatron from the last film go?

My head hurts as I've just discovered theres ANOTHER Transformers film that wasn't included in the 5 pack of films...so tomorrow night I know what I'm doing.

Associate
Dune Part 2 - 8/10

Good film with some decent set pieces and acting (for the most part). I was expecting it to be the greatest film ever from the hype and other reviews, but didnt think it quite reached that level.

Soldato
Immaculate 6/10
Second horror film in a week and whilst not as good as disappear completely, it's not a bad film. Jump scares were a little predictable, but some quite creepy moments. Better than expected.

Sydney Sweeney slightly wasted in a nun outfit though :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom