What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Sleeping Dogs https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8542964/

A very fine performance by Russell Crowe and the rest of the cast,
though I can't say I recognised any of them. It didn't outstay its welcome,
though I honestly wouldn't have minded if it had gone on for a little while longer.

I really do enjoy a detective-type story, so films like this or,
for example, Prisoners, grab my attention quite readily.

If anyone else has similar suggestions for other films of this type,
then that would be swell. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rebel Moon Part 2: The Scargiver

Well, the second one was an improvement, I guess. Some nice visuals, a lot of pointless lens flare mucking everything up and making it look a smeary mess, poor writing, thinks it's some kind of epic when it's clearly not, a story that makes little sense, incoherent visual design, characters no-one cares about, appallingly badly choreographed fight scenes, and ponderously slow at times. But, overall, it rises to the level of an ordinary quality sci-fi movie. There's some fun action, some cool tech, some moments to cheer, and that sort of thing - kind of like a bad, but not terrible, Marvel movie.

Kind of watchable if you like that kind of thing, and can forgive the sheer dumbness of coal powered starships 6/10

However, it renders the first movie utter completely pointless. I recommend not watching it even if you want to watch this one. I said it would be assessing in the light of the second, and I thus downgrade it from 4/10 to 2/10 for how little value it adds to the story.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, I quite enjoyed the straight-up detective story, although I saw the twist coming and I don't normally see these things coming, so I guess it might have been a little obvious?
I thought it might take that turn as well, but a little later, I began doubting my thinking, only to be proven correct at the end. Tbh, I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen in the end.

Soldato
The Zone of Interest - 6/10.

I'd been intrigued since hearing about this film a long while back. Was a bit disappointed as there really is no plot/storyline beyond 'let's show a family living next to a concentration camp'.
It's like an art installation in film form to me. Not enjoyable, and I suppose it's not intended to be. Just felt it could have been more, somehow.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Abigail - it's a hit or miss for some I guess but I enjoyed it. It's got a obvious plot but the novelty soon wears off but the movie does a clever twist to maintain and drive the story forward. 7/10.

Rebel Moon - it's a bit of a mix bag. It does have some good visuals but the plot is somewhat lacking with the same second helping of the main antagonist. It draw out a bit but had some spectacular sequences. 6/10.

Man of Honour
Civil War (2024)

Starts off a bit slow, but still engaging enough for you to not switch off, but the second half is excellent. Not easy to watch at times with a very accurate portrail of armed conflict and the brutality and horror of war crimes.

Jessie Plemons' cameo was just pure class.

8/10

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Sleeping Dogs https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8542964/

A very fine performance by Russell Crowe and the rest of the cast,
though I can't say I recognised any of them. It didn't outstay its welcome,
though I honestly wouldn't have minded if it had gone on for a little while longer.

I really do enjoy a detective-type story, so films like this or,
for example, Prisoners, grab my attention quite readily.

If anyone else has similar suggestions for other films of this type,
then that would be swell. :)

Oooo defo give it a go now. Thx

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Knox Goes Away. Very surprising and enjoyable movie by Michael Keaton. Very good build up and delivers with solid performances all around. 7.5/10.

Soldato
Back in Black - 6.5 / 10

The Amy Winehouse biopic. It was a decent enough watch, but didn't have the overall emotional engagement of some of the other recent biopics.

Back
Top Bottom