What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Turns out battery wasn't holding sufficient charge overnight, also turns out it's in year 4 of the 5 year warranty so phoned up ECP, a new battery is being delivered today and the faulty one being taken away. Hopefully this process can be done every 4 years :D

Caporegime
Over-fortnight parts from Japan! Turbo gaskets and outer timing cover seal.

N9sedQth.jpeg

Installed the turbo, some of the intake piping, the outer timing cover, coolant lines, dipstick tube, etc.

6TgXaVMh.jpg
6HKvFETh.jpg

Had a small oopsie...

WhH9vKNh.jpg
D3J9bHhh.jpg

Now waiting for a new banjo bolt. :p

Permabanned
Not trolling btw, just giving you a heads up...
@Rilot did you know those are DRL's you've made aren't legal?

IF you get pulled running something like this, IF they want to/stop it, they can nail you for this, as with non standard HID/LED bulbs, IIRC it was £130 10 years ago, so christ knows what they'll charge you now, and I'm pretty sure it was with 3 points, if you can't remove them at the roadside, they can defect and impound your car, which they love to do and charge you a day rate, then force an MOT retest/form to be handed in...

I know a few people that had this happen 10-15 years ago with HID's.

Retro-fitting DRL
There is no requirement to retro-fit DRL on vehicles not fitted with them as standard. If you decide to retro-fit DRL you should ensure they have been approved to the correct European legislation. This can be confirmed by checking that the approval mark embossed on the lamp contains the letters “RL”, see figure 1.
Ideally retro-fitted DRL should be installed such that they activate automatically when the engine starts and switch off when headlamps are turned on. If this is not the case then you must ensure that you manually turn DRL off at night as they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others if used in low ambient lighting conditions.

Why do you drive around with your headlights on in the day anyway? Is it rubbish weather where you live or what? Hasn't it got Xenons anyway?

BTW, they're not 'fake vents' they're blanking plates for optional foglights that you can spec ;) - these are aftermarket but you get the idea :)
iu

I'd personally rather have the rare fog lights, you never seen them, as with most Honda's, it was always an option, but stock spec they're always blanks.

Last edited:
Don
BTW, they're not 'fake vents' they're blanking plates for optional foglights that you can spec ;) - these are aftermarket but you get the idea :)
iu

I'd personally rather have the rare fog lights, you never seen them, as with most Honda's, it was always an option, but stock spec they're always blanks.
Those aren't factory. Honda never offered factory fog lights on the S2000. Those are the rare as hens teeth aftermarket items that were available for a couple of years. I had them on my last S2000.
Good info re getting pulled for them though. I have wired them in such a way that they turn off with the headlights and only come on with the engine running.
If I get pulled then so be it. It would have to be a very, very jobsworth copper to do it though considering the amount of cars I see with LED retrofits in reflector headlights, underlighting, exhausts I can fit my head in, red/blue LED side lights etc. etc.

Permabanned
Those aren't factory. Honda never offered factory fog lights on the S2000. Those are the rare as hens teeth aftermarket items that were available for a couple of years. I had them on my last S2000.
Good info re getting pulled for them though. I have wired them in such a way that they turn off with the headlights and only come on with the engine running.
If I get pulled then so be it. It would have to be a very, very jobsworth copper to do it though considering the amount of cars I see with LED retrofits in reflector headlights, underlighting, exhausts I can fit my head in, red/blue LED side lights etc. etc.
That's so weird mate! I didn't know that, I used to be well into my Honda's but the S2K is a bit too new for me and I was a bit gutted it wasn't a coupe - I still think it's cool and people like J's Racing/Amuse etc etc have proven what you can do with one, and I know the chassis is awesome for what it is :)

Just seems strange that they wouldn't offer it considering they do that on all previous cars as an option depending on model/country of origin?

I think this time round they've just given you the option as they know the aftermarket will produce them, as I'm sure you're aware JDM models often can be spec'ed with many aftermarket parts, be it bodykits, gear knobs/steering wheels/wheels etc etc etc.

For example Momo always do all the Type R steering wheels, Speedline do the UKDM special Honda wheels like the Jordan EK4 VTI-S/Accord Type R, Enkei make a lot of the Type R wheels like the EP3/DC5R, Recaro make the seats for pretty much every JDM companie's post seats even if not branded underneath 90% time they are Recaro (as with BMW E30 325i tech 2 leather sport seats if you look underneath), Toyota use Nardi for gearknob/steering wheels, the list is endless!

IIRC it's Vertex and Varis that Toyota offer as a from factory/showroom bodykit option on a lot of stuff, Nissan also did this with a company I forget the name of lol as it looks horrific, Nissan also often use BBS on special models, as do Mazda and many other companies.

So I think they've just chosen to either pair it in Japan with an optional OEM backed aftermarket option, which will be super rare to get being as old as the car is, and never sold over here, and no-one wants to let the parts go over there as they know what they have (as per usual), or they've just made it knowing an aftermarket will offer fogs that'll fit.

Otherwise there would be no point in having the removable blank where a fog is, as they're in the wrong place to be brake ducts, and don't have ducting connected to them, nor is there OEM brake ducts as an option - as I'm sure you know...

On both the AP1/2 they have the same style EK civic push to snap out fog light blanks in both the places you can have foglights, be it pre-facelift or facelift - in true Honda fashion they're either in the side of the mouth grille, or either side below the headlights - just look at an EG/EK/EP civic and you'll see what I mean if you look at what the optional fogs look like when fitted.

Just as an example the AP1 can house these OEM looking foglights that'll you'll find on a EG/EK...
iu

Which are the same as these which were offered from Honda OEM depending on country/model/spec
ek-foglight.jpg

These are also an OEM option, again country/spec/model dependant.
honda-civic-vti-perche-comprarla-classic-1854369895.jpg

I'm sure you remember what they look like without them fitted with the same style removable snap out plastic blanks, so I wont bother linking pics without them fitted haha.

Yeah regarding legalities, just be careful, obviously it depends how much a dick they feel like being/if they can be bothered to turn around and pull you, how busy they are, if they bother where you live, blah blah blah, but for example in my area, they're very hot on low/loud/stretched tyres/HID's/illegal numberplates etc etc, and will do it for the brownie points quota and the fact they 90% of the time can dish out a minimum £130 fine + sometimes 3 points, for example if you get caught with stretched tyres/major poke fitment of your wheels, it's £300/3 points PER wheel, i.e. instant ban, I knew a mate years ago that had to battle it in court for running slightly stretched tyres with flush fitment and a bit of camber, and 'got away with' £1100 fine and 11 points... Ouch.

I often see them pulling the VAG stance crowd cars for this, as it's easy money, just like stopping someone for going 3-4MPH over is...

And the same goes for as you same any retrofitted headlights, as you know if they didn't come with them regardless of if you've professionally fitted self leveling projector lenses etc etc, it's still illegal as not factory fitted, and = instant fine/defect/not fit for road use, they love to get a DVSA agent out here and measure emissions on loud cars/blatant straight pipes/decats, BUT if you have a cannon and it's under IIRC 96 or 110DB and have a cat - it IS legal and they can't do ****, unless they literally see you being anti social waking people up or banging the limiter, then you can get a CD20 IIRC, or section 59.

Some coppers are sound though, my mate has an E30, and they stopped him for being loud, it's a 5L E39 S62B50 M5 engine swap, and he simply politely said "well yeah it's a V8..." the copper asked to have a look and compliamented how factory it looked as was off on his way, my mate said "whilst your here, are these headlights OK? I know they're not factory, but the stock ones are like candles and very dangerous!" the copper agreed and said they were fine, despite being HID's in a reflector.

However my mate didn't do the stupid thing of having 6-15k blinding ones, just genuinely usable brightness, I know they can still glare, but if aligned properly and you point them down lower, you dont tend to have a problem, and when the roads are empty and you can see for miles, you just flip the adjuster switch, when you see lights coming miles away or round a corner you flip em down, that's what we always did on older cars without an aftermarket option. And obviously fit stock bulbs for the MOT haha.

Just take yours out for the MOT and you'll probably be fine, then refit after haha!

Last edited:
Permabanned
The AP1 could take Honda Odyssey fog lights. They were almost a perfect fit. The AP2 blanks aren't removeable. They are actually part of the bumper skin and to remove them you have to cut them out. https://baero.tech/ap2-front-brake-duct-install
Yeah I've seen that mod! Looks decent!
Ah really? They didn't have the little plastic snappable tabs/spot weld type bits that you just twist till they snap off and the blank falls out, like the EG/EK/EP bumpers have? Mental!

Modern cars man haha! Well I'm in denial living in the 80's/90's thinking anything 2000ish is new still :cry:

Last edited:
Permabanned
One of my fav old school mods @Rilot , was moulding in EK facelift bumper vents into an EG6/EJ2 bumper, looks so OEM/right! Ignore the BackYard Special lip, obviously you can fit whatever, but yeah the bumper itself looks factory IMHO.

iu

I had a genuine set of Spoon Sports carbon fibre mirrors on my EK hatch, couldn't see **** but they looked the ******** haha! Got them off a scrapyard who didn't know what they were, ran them for a year then sold them for £460+postage haha!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stock is 64HP, it was probably making 75 or 80HP when I took the engine out, when I put it back in I guess probably 75 ish again? At around 0.9 bar.
It was running 1 bar on the old very worn turbo, going to back it off a little bit on this lower mileage replacement turbo.

I just want it to stop leaking. :p

Back
Top Bottom