What have you done to your car today?

Caporegime
False start, decided to replace the gearbox mounts because they are pretty roached.

3Dzp431.jpeg

The rear gearbox mount is unobtainium, but I found something that looks close enough from a Daewoo that uses the same gearbox casing.

xpaBZ7Sl.jpeg
xAeOs4j.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted a bit of engine bling at the weekend. I'm toying with the idea of getting a FMIC fitted so wanted these in case I decided to go for it. I wanted to fit the Forge silicone intake hose as well, but there's no place to plug the moisture sensor in on it and I've seen a few people say if it's disconnected it throws up an error and I didn't want to take that chance.
NI9Nu3xh.jpeg

Soldato
Someone coming to view the Vito today, had a lot of interest, a car that I actually made money on, wow

Bad news is that the Impreza STI is still in Japan, shipping seems to be a big issue at the moment. Should leave for Newcastle soon though.

IMG20240408135638.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I live in an apartment, and not having anywhere to work on a car is turning out to be a massive pain.

It's not considered generally legal to work on a car in the street here, so I resorted to trying to find a quiet car park in an industrial area at the weekend so I could work in peace - and within five minutes of getting the car jacked up I had a busybody telling me what I was doing was illegal and that they would call the police if I didn't pack up and leave.

After some Googling, I managed to locate a couple of "Kfz Werkstatt" places - garages where you can hire a lift, and tools if you need them, by the hour.

IMG-20240331-112309.jpg

They're extremely busy and fairly cramped, but 13 Euros an hour is not too bad.
It can soon add up on a big job though.

Replaced:

Front discs
Front pads
Anti roll bar bushes
Top mounts
Front dampers
Front springs
Front wishbones

I still need to replace the sill, but these ramps are really inconvenient for that. I don't have much alternative though.

Associate
13 Euros an hour is very good for having lift access, there's only one place in London that does that and it's £20+ VAT per hour...
Not my car but swapped all discs and pads on a friend's 520d over the weekend, those rear discs were fatory fitted and seized into oblivion but nothing a bolt and two nuts tightened through the caliper holder wouldn't sort.

Caporegime
Might be best to try and find some old boy with a farm and a shed?

What about tinkering on a driveway is that frowned upon over there too? Tinkering for me at least is a massive relaxant and getaway from the day to day. Would hate it if I was unable to do it anymore.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Might be best to try and find some old boy with a farm and a shed?

What about tinkering on a driveway is that frowned upon over there too? Tinkering for me at least is a massive relaxant and getaway from the day to day. Would hate it if I was unable to do it anymore.
I live in a capital city - not many farms here unfortunately!

No driveway either:

IMG-20240415-105441.jpg

Apartments have underground parking, but it's very expensive (€150 pcm) and it's forbidden to work on a car in them. They don't have any power outlets either.

Washing your car in the street is illegal too, not that I could do that as I've no way of getting car washing quantities of water outside anyway :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
13 Euros an hour is very good for having lift access, there's only one place in London that does that and it's £20+ VAT per hour...
Not my car but swapped all discs and pads on a friend's 520d over the weekend, those rear discs were fatory fitted and seized into oblivion but nothing a bolt and two nuts tightened through the caliper holder wouldn't sort.
This is the one I use:

It's nowhere near as clean or well lit as it appears in the promo pictures unfortunately, but it has what you need, you can rent things like MIG welders for 10 Euros an hour etc. Some of the bigger tools you can use for free (spring compressors, big trolley jacks, oil syphon, hydraulic stands and jacks for lifting axles/anti roll bars etc into place. The bloke who's on duty when I go doesn't speak a word of English but I manage my way through interactions with rough German.
Unfortunately it's a 30 minute drive away ,and sometimes there are no places free - but it's definitely better than nothing.

I tried this one : https://www.kfz-hobbycenter.at/ but it's insanely cramped, you have to work almost touching backs to the person on the next ramp, and it's very very busy every time I have been - queues of 5-10 people literally standing waiting for you to finish. Aggravatingly it's also a 30 minute drive away, but in the opposite direction :D Again it looks very spacious in the images but it's a trick of the lens, like when you look at estate agent pictures of houses.

Last edited:
Associate
This is the one I use:

It's nowhere near as clean or well lit as it appears in the promo pictures unfortunately, but it has what you need, you can rent things like MIG welders for 10 Euros an hour etc. Some of the bigger tools you can use for free (spring compressors, big trolley jacks, oil syphon, hydraulic stands and jacks for lifting axles/anti roll bars etc into place. The bloke who's on duty when I go doesn't speak a word of English but I manage my way through interactions with rough German.
Unfortunately it's a 30 minute drive away ,and sometimes there are no places free - but it's definitely better than nothing.

I tried this one : https://www.kfz-hobbycenter.at/ but it's insanely cramped, you have to work almost touching backs to the person on the next ramp, and it's very very busy every time I have been - queues of 5-10 people literally standing waiting for you to finish. Aggravatingly it's also a 30 minute drive away, but in the opposite direction :D Again it looks very spacious in the images but it's a trick of the lens, like when you look at estate agent pictures of houses.

30 mins is very good, my London option is 1h drive each way in lovely London traffic.
That being said, I am always anxious when using it in case something goes wrong (a wire/ connector breaks, a bolt breaks, a part of something breaks and you have to order a replacement part waiting for days). You can try and pack as much as possible but it becomes such a faff.

A good example was when I replaced a balljoint on the Audi earlier this year... used a knuckle spreader, put the balljoint in and then as I was tightening it holding a 3/8 ratchet in the palm of my hand (there's only so much torque that could generate!) the balljoint recess snapped. There's no chance you're getting that moving from there, ordered a replacement knuckle online (of course there's multiple part numbers and variations of holes diameter for the same car) turned up with the wrong part first and only got it back on the road a week later. I dread to say what I'd have done with the car stuck on the lift somewhere that charges by the hour given how awkward sourcing the replacement was.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Added a few details, I'm treading water a little bit while someone is borrowing the pallet truck which I need before I can put the engine back in. :p

w9UGwZc.jpg

Even gave the engine-less car a bath...

lyuETNuh.jpg

The alternator on the car is the wrong one, and the alignment of the belt was way off, no idea how it wasn't causing issues, but it wasn't. Still, I decided to improve matters a little.

This is how misaligned it was before vs after:

ftXbbNol.jpg
jbOpwSYl.jpg

I had to cut the alignment tab thing off the top because it was in the way of it sitting straight...

Ww6Lbxal.jpg

And here is a before and after of how it is mounted... The lug is threaded, so this was just nonsense:

PFfqVCJl.jpg
ovlulSXl.jpg

And if anyone can identify the alternator for me, you will earn one internet cookie! :p
Because I tried, and these numbers all seem meaningless.

mWHQKzkl.jpg
j6D7Lkul.jpg

It also has "AMF1312" stamped on it. At least I think that is what it says...

Back
Top Bottom