What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I swear I have so much karma built up now.

QSB1qDF.jpeg

I think I'd enjoy hoovering that all up again

Soldato
Meant to be resting today after moving my partner's workshop yesterday from in-laws garage to our own. Including a 90kg laser cutter.

So of course I soaked my muscles in a hot bath and then gave the garden its well overdue first mow since winter. One pass with the mower held off the ground to get the worst of the long stuff. Then the opposite direction with mower at the highest adjustment. Raked it a bit and decided I was too sore. There's so much weeding and de thatching to do, I'm tempted to have it tilled and start again from seed :(

Soldato
Meant to be resting today after moving my partner's workshop yesterday from in-laws garage to our own. Including a 90kg laser cutter.

So of course I soaked my muscles in a hot bath and then gave the garden its well overdue first mow since winter. One pass with the mower held off the ground to get the worst of the long stuff. Then the opposite direction with mower at the highest adjustment. Raked it a bit and decided I was too sore. There's so much weeding and de thatching to do, I'm tempted to have it tilled and start again from seed :(

Scarifier job?

Soldato
Yes, shame it wasn't real grass but the kids have been on it today and loved it apparently. It's at a school.
Wait until they scrape their knee and get gangrene :D

Is that vacuum meant to have a bag?
It works bagged or bagless. It works best bagless for smaller finer stuff as it stops the filter from clogging up. If it's just big stuff, bagless is fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Been out and bought a new water butt -Ex olive shipping container with 220ltr capacity and screw on lid - not bad - On ebay for £20 but got it a bit cheaper - just ordered a tap for it - Also put bit of Mr Muscle in it and filled it to make sure there are no leaks -All is fine -just got to fit it

KGImBEH.jpg
aye was it shrewsbury way for it was looking but put off by 9.99 delivery (live swadlincote area so had to deliver).
anyways in end bought one of these Strata Ward 210 Liter Plastic Water Butt Barrel Set with Stand, Filler, and Tap if you use there code which runs out on 30th it was 40 quid near as with all fittings and stand bargain i thought.

code is PAYAY20 20 per cent off

Last edited:
Soldato
Scarifier job?
Quite possibly. But the ground is so uneven and maybe 30% of the grass is that horrible stalky hard stem outcrops. Also there's a big patch of weeds where we removed a hedge and left a metre wide strip of fresh soil. I'm highly tempted to nuke and restart.

Can you tell I'm not a natural gardener :p

Soldato
Quite possibly. But the ground is so uneven and maybe 30% of the grass is that horrible stalky hard stem outcrops. Also there's a big patch of weeds where we removed a hedge and left a metre wide strip of fresh soil. I'm highly tempted to nuke and restart.

Can you tell I'm not a natural gardener :p
Yeah nuke and restart.

Just hope that the restart isn't a yearly endeavour! I'm currently redoing lawn after getting a bit carried away with with killer :o

Man of Honour
Green is green, nuking and starting again is hard work. Pull up unsightly weeds, aerate, scarify, overseed as a start, it won't take too long and can make huge improvements.

Soldato
This is my issue - at present I don't have time/energy/priority to sort the lawn and I tell myself if it's a fresh start I will stay on top of it better. Questionable whether I really would.

I do like the idea of clover and pleasant flowers. Unruly is ok, I'm not after a manicured bowls pitch. Just don't like the spiky weeds.

Soldato
Started my cable pulls. Just shy of 2 years here and I may finally connect up the antenna lol.

KxgLDgL.jpeg

And cat6 courtesy of @doodah. I figure I'll run a couple for redundancy into the attic and then throw a switch up there. I'll leave a bunch coiled under the other bedrooms for when I get to them....I think...

Soldato
Few daft qs - can I fill the drops from second to first floor with foam? Like it won't corrode the copper or anything? I get mean draughts.

Also, best gloves?

Soldato
Started my cable pulls. Just shy of 2 years here and I may finally connect up the antenna lol.

KxgLDgL.jpeg

And cat6 courtesy of @doodah. I figure I'll run a couple for redundancy into the attic and then throw a switch up there. I'll leave a bunch coiled under the other bedrooms for when I get to them....I think...
Yep, I still have a roll of 3x cat6 and 2x coax hiding under my top floor hallway... Since buying the house I no longer WFH at all and so don't need TV/satellite and LAN in every room. I'll pull it to its destination one day honest :p

Soldato
aye was it shrewsbury way for it was looking but put off by 9.99 delivery (live swadlincote area so had to deliver).
anyways in end bought one of these Strata Ward 210 Liter Plastic Water Butt Barrel Set with Stand, Filler, and Tap if you use there code which runs out on 30th it was 40 quid near as with all fittings and stand bargain i thought.

code is PAYAY20 20 per cent off
It's north east of SY not far from Market Drayton.
I am glad I went to see it first then bought one home - They are all stacked around the back and when looking at them some were missing lid and some had the lid screw broken so looked them over and picked what I thought was the best --Would have been PO if I had had it delivered with broken lid..

Back
Top Bottom