When are you going fully electric?

Associate
I cheat, I work there.

Had one of each now, coil is fine good sporty drive but has that nasty stance like a scalded cat when parked. Air better for ride and pitch control when under power and has benefit of auto access mode to lower when stopping, brings a level of premium to the ride as it what’s the car was setup up. Coil spring was a late addition in development so a bit of a compromise.

Lots of ex Arval coming into market with coil, great value regardless.

This one on adaptive air is really impressive even with the 22” much better secondary ride for impacts etc as well as roll control. Hard to separate completely as the lower profile
Summer tyres are certainly better for feel and of course 250miles in tyres are still fresh. Adaptive has slight benefit of speed lowering above 65mph.
Thanks for the write up and comparison. Pretty much what I thought to be honest, springs good but air better lol. You're right about the parking stance, it sits a tad bit high and doesn't look sporty at all to be honest!

Mines an ex Arval lease and so far it's been spot on perfect, thankfully!

Associate
What’s the plate? If you want send me the VIN and I can have a nosey at any warranty work.
Thanks for the offer of checking and I'm happy for you to put anything you find in this thread or send me it via PM. I've got nothing to hide! I was going to paste it here as anyone in a public car park can get the details anyway but thought it might be better via PM in case I ever get a stalker on here! :cry:

Associate
We have took the plunge on a Mustang Mach E select, it was a on a very good offer for us via the NHS (salary sacrifice) think the final cost with all the savings the car will only cost us 375 a month, should be arriving in June or July which gives us plenty of time to get the charger installed. even with it just being the select its a vast improvement on the vauxhall meriva its replacing.

Soldato
We have took the plunge on a Mustang Mach E select, it was a on a very good offer for us via the NHS (salary sacrifice) think the final cost with all the savings the car will only cost us 375 a month, should be arriving in June or July which gives us plenty of time to get the charger installed. even with it just being the select its a vast improvement on the vauxhall meriva its replacing.
RIP pension

Soldato
I do wonder what numbers equate to being a minor impact.

From what I gather, long term NHS salary sacrificing can have a sizeable impact on a future annual pension income.

Though if your current car situation costs a fortune in repairs and insurances etc then I suppose it could work out alright.

That article makes a bit of sense of it.

Last edited:
Associate
without going into the figures in detail we consulted our financial advisor we are aware of the pros and cons of the system and what it would mean for our pensions in retirement

Last edited:
Soldato
The same people keep posting the same hyperbolic nonsense about the NHS SS scheme. Ooh RIP pension and such ****. It of course has an impact but most people now are not on the 1995 final salary pension. They are also not consultants on £100,000 plus per year. And they will almost certainly not live until they are 88.

I had my pension impact worked out to just over £1000 per year if I keep using SS until I retire. I retire at 67 and the avg male life expectancy in the UK is 82. So the impact would be £16k but if I live to 90 (unlikely) it will be £25k.

What these people also seem to forget is the massive savings on insurance, maintenance and servicing. This alone could more than make up the hit to your pension over the years.

I always advocate people ask for advice and look at the numbers. Just don’t believe the naysayers with nonsense like RIP pension. But please don’t make the mistake of seeing the net cost without looking at the hidden costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s all relative at the end of the day. The cost of the car and how much of your pay you are actually sacrificing matter. The lower your income (or the more you sacrifice), the bigger the relative impact it will have on your future pension.

E.g. a consultant taking say a Model Y compared to a junior nurse taking the same car would have the same cash impact but as a % of their pay/pension, the difference is significant.

As you say, as long as you go in with your eyes open, that’s fine.

Soldato
I did ask my employers HR about this SS effect on pensions. And they assured me that the pension contribution was taken off first, then the salary sacrifice. So in that case, would it really have an effect on my pension?

My guess is the NHS scheme doesn't do this, hence this discussion. But I did check before I signed up.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is fine but I do wonder if some people are sucked into the hype of being able to drive something they wouldn't normally be able to afford? I mean, how many people would normally jump from a Meriva to a £50k+, 265 BHP car?

Then again I'm just describing car finance in general I suppose.

Soldato
It is fine but I do wonder if some people are sucked into the hype of being able to drive something they wouldn't normally be able to afford? I mean, how many people would normally jump from a Meriva to a £50k+, 265 BHP car?

Then again I'm just describing car finance in general I suppose.
You can usually tell this by people fitting canards and spoilers to their Model 3.

Soldato
I did ask my employers HR about this SS effect on pensions. And they assured me that the pension contribution was taken off first, then the salary sacrifice. So in that case, would it really have an effect on my pension?

My guess is the NHS scheme doesn't do this, hence this discussion. But I did check before I signed up.
I'm no accountant, but that doesn't make sense? If it's salary sacrifice, you're sacrificing your base salary for a post-tax gain?

Soldato
I'm no accountant, but that doesn't make sense? If it's salary sacrifice, you're sacrificing your base salary for a post-tax gain?

But my pension is also salary sacrifice. And so I guess it is the order of sacrifice here making a difference surely?

EDIT: If my salary is say £60k, and there is a 10% pension SS, and say a £400 car SS, then thats £5k per month. If the Pesnion comes off first, then that's £500 into pension, then £400 off for the car, leaving £4100 to be taxed. If the car comes off first, then the pension contribution is obviously only £460, as the resultant wage after the car is down to £4600. So I'm then taxed on £4140.

So it absolutley the order of SS making a difference here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don’t forget the employer contribution ;).

The NHS (and most public sector) schemes are a defined benefit scheme which is very different to a defined contribution scheme which is typical in the private sector. Salary sacrifice reduces pensionable pay in those schemes.

Defined benefit schemes used to be more common in the private sector but many have had problems due to the aging population and people living a lot longer and employers/employees didn’t pay enough in to keep them viable while they were working.

They are also risky from an employee perspective, if the business doesn’t fund them correctly or they go bust, it can impact payouts. See BHS.

Back
Top Bottom