When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
i am no badge snob and indeed i love it, as it means great cars for great prices........ however at £65k i am disappointed.

I hope the car sells well but what the market really needs is an MX5 equivalent of an EV and the cyberster is certainly not that.

I would love them to release a new electric MGF for around the £25k mark. it doesnt need to be blisteringly quick (though by its nature it would likely smoke the petrol one) but a "light weight" (note the " " ) 2 seater EV with soft top for a sensible price and reasonable performance... i think that would sell. practically because it would need to be 150mile+ range i suspect it would be a little bigger than the old ICE car but even so it could be relatively small.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another pro tip: never take pension advice from someone "planning" to retire at 67.

Now show me where I said plan? It is the current UK state pension age and was used as an example because not everyone is a top earner and can retire early. Stop being condescending and opinionated with your hyperbolic “RIP pension” crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye whilst we are playing with fairy dust I'd love for them to release a 911 around the £30k mark
not really a fair equivalence is it?

£25K EVs are coming, and ICE 2 seaters can be gotten for around 25k new (MX5 maybe a little more but then mazda cars do fetch a premium over MG). when have Porsche ever sold a new £25k ICE car? where as the MGF even allowing for inflation was around that. (iirc the base model was closer to £15k than it was £20k)

it is possible to get a new MG4 close to £25k so why not an equivalent to an MGF?

Last edited:
Soldato
not really a fair equivalence is it?

£25K EVs are coming, and ICE 2 seaters can be gotten for around 25k new (MX5 maybe a little more but then mazda cars do fetch a premium over MG). when have Porsche ever sold a new £25k ICE car? where as the MGF even allowing for inflation was around that. (iirc the base model was closer to £15k than it was £20k)

it is possible to get a new MG4 close to £25k so why not an equivalent to an MGF?
The cheapest Mazda MX5 on there website is £35k and that is the defacto 2 seat mass market petrol sports car. I don't think there is a single EV even closer to £25k at the moment, let alone a small volume 2 seater. Notice MG went bust :cry: :D

Soldato
I agree that £65k is a very expensive MG.

However, the MX-5 has a £28k-£35k list, you’d expect the EV equivalent to be £5k to £8k on top (less any purchase ‘discounts’).

Last edited:
Associate
Buying a new untethered charging cable to go with the Zappi. Any idea why there's such a disparity on price for 10m, untethered, type 2 - type 2, 32A, 1ph, 7.4kW? Anywhere from £95 to £200, and that's before looking at whether I might want to just pay a few more bob for a 22kW.

Soldato
Where's the additional £30k go?
Scissor doors and weird looking arrowhead lights.

EDIT - Beaten :(

As for an EV MX5 type car... I don't really think there is a market for it. I'd love to know the average age of a NEW MX5 buyer. I'd have a punt at it being somewhere between retired and dead. These people are looking for a bit of a blast from the past and that's what the MX5 serves up in terms of the way it drives.

The roads are increasingly becoming less of a place to enjoy driving these days but you can still get your kicks in a low power low grip car. The problem is that these cars simply appear archaic on paper now and that is all people, including the motoring press, care about. RANGE, CHARGING SPEED, 0-60, THE MONTHLIES... peoples priorities read like a game of top trumps and if you release your new "sports car" with a 0-60 of over 6 seconds it's going to be laughed into non existence. It's a shame but it's the world we live in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an Audi etron which Audi were promoting in Q4 last year with a free charger, big contribution, free servicing, MOT etc etc. I really like the car but the 150 mile range can be an issue for longer journeys. Most of our driving is around town but when we go on holiday it can make things more complicated. We are going to Disneyland Paris next month and will have to use the tesla charging network multiple times each way.

Man of Honour
It was interesting to see one of my colleagues go back to a petrol/hybrid after an electric car. Apparently they were worried about how much life the battery had left in it and the mounting insurance renewal. I’ve not seen many personally go the other way.

I’m impatiently waiting to see what Audi replace the TT/R8 with. There’s still no electric sports car on the market that I would switch to.

Soldato
It was interesting to see one of my colleagues go back to a petrol/hybrid after an electric car. Apparently they were worried about how much life the battery had left in it and the mounting insurance renewal. I’ve not seen many personally go the other way.

They were worried how much battery life was left in it, was it a 2011 Nissan Leaf? As for renewals the ancient X-Trail has gone up way more than our EV. #shrug

I’m impatiently waiting to see what Audi replace the TT/R8 with. There’s still no electric sports car on the market that I would switch to.

You'll be waiting a long time, I wouldn't bother, just stick to buying ICE if they are your type of vehicle.

Man of Honour
They were worried how much battery life was left in it, was it a 2011 Nissan Leaf? As for renewals the ancient X-Trail has gone up way more than our EV. #shrug

You'll be waiting a long time, I wouldn't bother, just stick to buying ICE if they are your type of vehicle.

BMW i3 with 80k on the clock. I think the range had dropped a bit too.

I’m just hoping my current car lasts until something emerges. Don’t want to buy another ICE car really, but nor do I like many of the current offerings.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had a good look at my work eV lease thing.

Cheapest car on there was 300 a month for 2 years + 0 deposit.

That would = 7200.
Current car cost 3000 + 200 in insurance +150 I think in tax + what... 500 for repairs?

So yeah, unless something goes badly wrong (ie auto gearbox dies) it's better to keep the banger.
But it's not as far out as I thought.

Edit. I forgot get 5000 miles of ovo free charging. So it's probably quite close (assuming sold the banger for 3000)

Last edited:
Soldato
a banger vs a new car is always going to favour the banger ... and if you choose to stick that is great.
but compare the cost of a new EV on a lease Vs a petrol or diesel equivalent car on a lease and that is where things get interesting imo .

Soldato
btw I posted in the insurance thread but after some haggling the wife's and I insurance on our 2 EVs ended up not so bad.

house insurance, ipace and i3 for me and the mrs.came in at £1511. "only" £300 increase from last year total. (about £100 for each policy)

Soldato
I see Nio are going to be testing their 150kWh Semi-solid state battery packs in the swap stations in China.

Wonder how long before these become wide spread with other auto makers? 360Wh/Kg is impressive, if it were in my current vehicle it would shave off over 150Kg's of weight, and it's only gross capacity of ~41kWh.

Back
Top Bottom