Why do we never see a PSA these days?

Soldato
I've been watching some British public service adverts reminding people of dangers and giving them good advice.

I remember seeing some of the adverts when growing up in the 80s and 90s. But in the recent couple of decades I've never seen any. Why?

I don't believe there is some osmosis information absorption that happens from parents to their children.

We know some parents send their kids to school these days without them being potty trained or getting dressed etc, so we know some parents don't know the basics.

Do other people remember any PSA's from back in the day? And should we bring back PSA's?

Caporegime
There are some adverts to the effect that show up locally (rarely) but I guess that depends on whether they're being targeted correctly.

Associate
I've been watching some British public service adverts reminding people of dangers and giving them good advice.

I remember seeing some of the adverts when growing up in the 80s and 90s. But in the recent couple of decades I've never seen any. Why?

I don't believe there is some osmosis information absorption that happens from parents to their children.

We know some parents send their kids to school these days without them being potty trained or getting dressed etc, so we know some parents don't know the basics.

Do other people remember any PSA's from back in the day? And should we bring back PSA's?
I've seen one not too long ago about not driving in the middle lane on the motorway. Is that kind of thing you're on about?

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Iirc there were those tv psa's about hiding under the stairs, closing your curtains etc in case of Nuclear blast. That and the AIDS and COVID ones (in .au) are all that come to mind.

Commissario
I think there are still some on the commercial channels, but they tend to be on the cheaper channels, I seem to remember a "recycle your electricals" one fairly recently, and I think there have been a few about how being drunk results in stupid decisions.

Soldato
You boomers confuse the hell out of me. One second you are moaning for free choice/less government, the next you are complaining the nanny state of yester-year isn't alive and kicking?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Because whatever the advice is you will get someone saying the complete opposite and that hiding under a table when a earthquake happens is a bad idea and your better off using a doorway or running 5 miles in 2mins to get to a open space and lie on your back whispering oooooooooooooooooooooooo save meeeee pixie.

Associate
Conservatives closed down the COI in 2011. I believe there used to be free advertising slots for the Government to advertise in as well.

Now they would need to be factored in to the budget of whichever department would be responsible and probably can't afford it.

I was jokingly going to say we ain't got the money for that any more... but yeah, I guess we ain't got the money for that.

Back
Top Bottom