World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
Doesn't seem too long ago and that's suffered from burn in already?

Goes to show that these panels aren't ideal for WFH.

I use mine for WFH sometimes (development work) and if it isn't work, it's browsing, youtube etc. most of the time along with HDR gaming, perhaps it's because my usage is more varied than mrk which helps reduce likelyhood of burn in.

mrk since you don't use/value hdr, LCD won't be so bad tbf :p

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
7 hours a day 5 days a week for WFH, then a few more hours in the evenings at least 5 days a week, and then weekends if I am editing. I think I have seen 4 or 5 panel refresh cycles elapse now too although I don't trust the internal counter as it even counts up the timer for pixel refreshes when the monitor is in standby so you would expect the refresh cycle time to resume when you next take it off standby, but nope, turn it on in the morning and a prompt comes up asking for a pixel refresh lol.

Caporegime
7 hours a day 5 days a week for WFH, then a few more hours in the evenings at least 5 days a week, and then weekends if I am editing. I think I have seen 4 or 5 panel refresh cycles elapse now too although I don't trust the internal counter as it even counts up the timer for pixel refreshes when the monitor is in standby so you would expect the refresh cycle time to resume when you next take it off standby, but nope, turn it on in the morning and a prompt comes up asking for a pixel refresh lol.
Mine is probably higher usage than that tbh as also includes weekends for me too (although more gaming on weekends than browsing, work). Brightness for me is 40% on SDR and of course for HDR 1000, left at default settings so 100%. Not sure how many panel refreshes I am on now but must be at least 7.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If mine didn't burn in after 10 years, then they don't burn in. I know which is more distracting, IPS glow or burn in you can see every time you open up Photoshop/Lightroom as a productivity professional first and casual gamer 2nd :p

So because it did not happen to you it means it is a fact it happens to no one? Lol.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to next gen OLED panels and not IPS. I had to go and edit my post and highlight it to make it obvious :cry:

Associate
Your panels definitely have way more on time than mine, and I game 90% of time and other 10% is browsing/youtube when it is on.

My SDR brightness is also 28% which is perfect for my environment.

Knowing my luck, my panel will burn in 1 day after warranty expiry

Man of Honour
So because it did not happen to you it means it is a fact it happens to no one? Lol.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to next gen OLED panels and not IPS. I had to go and edit my post and highlight it to make it obvious :cry:

Well yes, it's the nature of the technology, as z10m said above, /if/ IPS burns in then it's extremely rare, IPS can have image retention, but that clears itself anyway without any user intervention. I've had IPS panels of all types since launch and none of them whether at home or work have burn in of any kind. Likewise I do not know a single person with a burned in IPS either now or ever in the past, and my last job role involved maintaining, buying and dealing with displays.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well yes, it's the nature of the technology, as z10m said above, /if/ IPS burns in then it's extremely rare, IPS can have image retention, but that clears itself anyway without any user intervention. I've had IPS panels of all types since launch and none of them whether at home or work have burn in of any kind. Likewise I do not know a single person with a burned in IPS either now or ever in the past, and my last job role involved maintaining, buying and dealing with displays.

So I am right then, they do burn in. Just takes a lot longer. As I said, I was never talking about IPS. I was obviously talking about next gen OLED panels you mentioned.

Associate
Doesn't seem too long ago and that's suffered from burn in already?

Goes to show that these panels aren't ideal for WFH.
Yup that is my general advice. For multimedia use they are great and touch wood my screens 9,6 and 3yrs old are all burn in free. However, my first oled that I used for wfh and evening multimedia lasted about a year before burn in.

I would not recommend them for wfh with static images.

Man of Honour
So I am right then, they do burn in. Just takes a lot longer. As I said, I was never talking about IPS. I was obviously talking about next gen OLED panels you mentioned.
The tech of IPS does not burn in so to speak, there is only image retention, which isn't the same thing, I was solely on about IPS here btw too, not anything else as the chat was within context of IPS :p

Caporegime
Yup that is my general advice. For multimedia use they are great and touch wood my screens 9,6 and 3yrs old are all burn in free. However, my first oled that I used for wfh and evening multimedia lasted about a year before burn in.

I would not recommend them for wfh with static images.

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that, as mentioned, I also use mine for WFH and devleopment work i.e. terminal one side and documentation or/and video on the other side.

I think it's safe to say if you purely use it for static windows say 80+% of the time then yes, you're better of with LCD (not like oled will be beneficial for this usage anyway so money is wasted).

Key thing for avoiding burn in is probably a healthy variety of usage.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@BananaDunka you got that grey slide you use? Will check mine.
Oops yes:

Dell have a hidden menu for colour swatches too btw, switch to an input source with no signal then hold joystick left for 5 seconds then just wiggle between RGB/ and white/black/grey. My grey above is darker than the built in grey so any burn should be more obvious on this the darker the grey you go.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oops yes:

Dell have a hidden menu for colour swatches too btw, switch to an input source with no signal then hold joystick left for 5 seconds then just wiggle between RGB/ and white/black/grey. My grey above is darker than the built in grey so any burn should be more obvious on this the darker the grey you go.

I can see it already. Nexus will come back and say oh noes. He has burn in also :p

Back
Top Bottom