World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that, as mentioned, I also use mine for WFH and devleopment work i.e. terminal one side and documentation or/and video on the other side.

I think it's safe to say if you purely use it for static windows say 80+% of the time then yes, you're better of with LCD (not like oled will be beneficial for this usage anyway so money is wasted).

Key thing for avoiding burn in is probably a healthy variety of usage.
No matter how you use it it will still burn in or rather wear out and all you can do is delay it.
My 8 years old LG B6 has something that I would describe as panel wear where the middle of the screen has this patch where colours are less saturated and when displayed yellow slide it’s clearly visible.
IMG-5999.jpg

not my picture but mine looks similar to that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just on the phone with Dell right now, they will be replacing it :cry:

They said it will be refurbished but checked by Dell before it ships, so will be interesting to see if I get a later manufactured model with different FW that isn't on the Gsync firmware update tool yet etc.

Oh yes here is what my Photoshop canvas looks like:

Jts3K9X.jpeg

You can see 3 defined areas.

Last edited:
Associate

They said it will be refurbished but checked by Dell before it ships, so will be interesting to see if I get a later manufactured model with different FW that isn't on the Gsync firmware update tool yet etc.

Jts3K9X.jpeg

Yeah that clearly visible and I can imagine it’s even worse in person.

Soldato
I still haven't noticed anything on mine, i had to turn the brightness down a tad the other day as i realised i was getting abit of eye strain on really bright white pages.

Caporegime
Oops yes:

Dell have a hidden menu for colour swatches too btw, switch to an input source with no signal then hold joystick left for 5 seconds then just wiggle between RGB/ and white/black/grey. My grey above is darker than the built in grey so any burn should be more obvious on this the darker the grey you go.
I can see it already. Nexus will come back and say oh noes. He has burn in also :p

Exposure turned right down and blacked out room to elevate if there was any so not representative of what the eyes see let alone in my normal env lighting conditions, sure I can see some imperfections but doesn't look like burn in to me:

hx01n6H.jpg

No matter how you use it it will still burn in or rather wear out and all you can do is delay it.
My 8 years old LG B6 has something that I would describe as panel wear where the middle of the screen has this patch where colours are less saturated and when displayed yellow slide it’s clearly visible.

not my picture but mine looks similar to that.

Well yes that is true to some extent but tech in general is going to develop some fault at some point.

Rtings have done a test on this stuff before but as mentioned by themselves, Vincent at hdtvtests, badass, pcmonitors etc. this is not a great test for most people for normal usage, which is why it's called a torture test:

My LG 55e7 (bought in 2017) doesn't have any permanent burn in either, there is temporay retention even after a short time of say the plex homescreen but this goes quickly enough and is mostly only noticeable when a mostly grey screen comes on. There is definetly uneven wear though on it now but to be expected for a 2017 oled which is 7+ years old and used every day.

Some LCD shows issues which are arguably worse with time too.

As always, pick your poison, personally I'm happy to take the chance with burn in than that may or most likely won't be noticeable in normal usage 98% of the time based on my usage over say ips glow/grey blacks which would be noticeable 95+% of the time in normal conditions/usage.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
OP
IPS does not burn in

Does this though

Also, I've got an IPS TV with what looks very similar to permanent burn in, I can take a photo and show you. I've also got a VA TV which doesn't have burn in, but one of the centre backlights is fuxored and on bright images the centre of the screens looks dimmer than the rest

Last edited:
Associate

Jts3K9X.jpeg

Any mention of the previous burn in RMA? Pretty decent of them tho lol.

They told me refurbished as well before (only had 1 RMA due to a defect) and ended up getting a brand new one any way.
Although a friend of mine received a refurbed one when he had to RMA his panel. Unmarked box apparently.

Associate
I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that, as mentioned, I also use mine for WFH and devleopment work i.e. terminal one side and documentation or/and video on the other side.

I think it's safe to say if you purely use it for static windows say 80+% of the time then yes, you're better of with LCD (not like oled will be beneficial for this usage anyway so money is wasted).

Key thing for avoiding burn in is probably a healthy variety of usage.
How long you had yours for? Because if I got the same burn that I got after 1yr but it took 3yr, I still wouldn't recommend an oled for 8hrs wfh using static images + 2hrs evening gaming.
So yes, your 80% static image is very possible for wfh as even with 2hr gaming every night I am still at the 80% wfh mark.

Man of Honour
Yeah last time they said it would be refurbed too if I recall but the replacement was a retail box and sealed. I guess the same should apply this time too. It's arriving tomorrow so will see what's what

Caporegime
How long you had yours for? Because if I got the same burn that I got after 1yr but it took 3yr, I still wouldn't recommend an oled for 8hrs wfh using static images + 2hrs evening gaming.
So yes, your 80% static image is very possible for wfh as even with 2hr gaming every night I am still at the 80% wfh mark.

The AW? I got it when released so that's what 3 years since release?

Man of Honour
Any mention of the previous burn in RMA? Pretty decent of them tho lol.

They told me refurbished as well before (only had 1 RMA due to a defect) and ended up getting a brand new one any way.
Although a friend of mine received a refurbed one when he had to RMA his panel. Unmarked box apparently.
I only mentioned that the last replacement was brand new but they can see on the screen anyway the history of the service tag etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exposure turned right down and blacked out room to elevate if there was any so not representative of what the eyes see let alone in my normal env lighting conditions, sure I can see some imperfections but doesn't look like burn in to me:

hx01n6H.jpg

Well yes that is true to some extent but tech in general is going to develop some fault at some point.

Rtings have done a test on this stuff before but as mentioned by themselves, Vincent at hdtvtests, badass, pcmonitors etc. this is not a great test for most people for normal usage, which is why it's called a torture test:

My LG 55e7 (bought in 2017) doesn't have any permanent burn in either, there is temporay retention even after a short time of say the plex homescreen but this goes quickly enough and is mostly only noticeable when a mostly grey screen comes on. There is definetly uneven wear though on it now but to be expected for a 2017 oled which is 7+ years old and used every day.

Some LCD shows issues which are arguably worse with time too.

As always, pick your poison, personally I'm happy to take the chance with burn in than that may or most likely won't be noticeable in normal usage 98% of the time based on my usage over say ips glow/grey blacks which would be noticeable 95+% of the time in normal conditions/usage.

100% man. OLED all the way. Imagine going back to IPS after having OLED for so long :p

Man of Honour
Na OLED is still the best for everything in terms of visuals, VA has that grainy look to it (I have a 34" 165Hz Freesync premium pro MateView GT), plus VA panels have VA "Tinge" which is like an alternative to IPS glow but is either golden or silver in hue depending on panel variant.

I could still settle on a good IPS though having used one for so long but there's no denying the "peering through a window" picture of OLED. If I can continue to just get replacements until warranty ends in March next year, then so be it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom