Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Must try and find out how many hours I have put on the screen. You could be comparing apples to oranges

Still haven't replaced my burnt in C7 yet.

One thing that occurred to me; in the early days people said the burning on those gen TVs was accelerated by having the TV at high brightness, which I indeed was guilty of. These days everything I watch and play has HDR. Doesn't HDR normally crank up brightness to 100% and sort of help cause the problem in the 1st place? Or is HDR not necessarily 100% brightness on newer gen models that are much brighter than my 2017 model in the 1st place?

rp2000
I turned the brightness down on mine and avoided gaming in HDR to try and avoid burnin and look how mine screen turned out hah

Caporegime
Must try and find out how many hours I have put on the screen. You could be comparing apples to oranges

I turned the brightness down on mine and avoided gaming in HDR to try and avoid burnin and look how mine screen turned out hah
I meant OLED Light, not Brightness! At this point of the life of my screen I care very little so OLED Light is on 95 for PC Mode :D. I too would love to check the hours (if only to make myself feel better for semi ruining the screen!)

I tried to capture as best as I could with a phone camera. Microsoft Paint, red background, OLED Light set to 100:

PXL-20230427-162628188.jpg

Edit: The sad thing is I can easily identify some of the patterns and shapes from content I have consumed. I can even read Breaking News in the bottom left :D

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
I meant OLED Light, not Brightness! At this point of the life of my screen I care very little so OLED Light is on 95 for PC Mode :D. I too would love to check the hours (if only to make myself feel better for semi ruining the screen!)

rp2000
That’s what I meant also.

I normally keep my viewing in expert dark room 60 or a modified cinema/ expert bright 80.

Mostly expert dark as I know most of us love a good bit of YouTube.

Turns out I need to get into the service menu to get hours viewed.

I do have a harmony remote lying about I might be able to set up to get into the service menu.

Caporegime
That’s what I meant also.

I normally keep my viewing in expert dark room 60 or a modified cinema/ expert bright 80.

Mostly expert dark as I know most of us love a good bit of YouTube.

Turns out I need to get into the service menu to get hours viewed.

I do have a harmony remote lying about I might be able to set up to get into the service menu.
At this point (based on your photos) just crank up the settings, it can't get much worse :D

I don't have a mobile phone with an IR blaster, otherwise I'm fairly sure that can get into the service mode.

I partly blame the TV anyway. If it had screensaver mode on all the HDMI inputs then this never would have happened. I use all the built in streaming apps but there is no Netflix, Amazon, Disney related burnin as those apps go to screensaver after a minute of inactivity.

rp2000

Soldato
Still rocking a C7 - many hours of gaming over the years and the better half many more times that watching TV and no burn in yet. A handful of times there's been some retention that soon went away.

Soldato
First time in this thread.. Coming in as someone who has had a Panasonic GT60 plasma for >10 years and not had any burn-in, currently looking at upgrading to OLED… Should I even be concerned or thinking about burn-in? Or just treat whatever I get the same as my plasma and I’ll be fine? No kids, no pets ( :p ), just a girlfriend who is relatively well trained!

Man of Honour
First time in this thread.. Coming in as someone who has had a Panasonic GT60 plasma for >10 years and not had any burn-in, currently looking at upgrading to OLED… Should I even be concerned or thinking about burn-in? Or just treat whatever I get the same as my plasma and I’ll be fine? No kids, no pets ( :p ), just a girlfriend who is relatively well trained!
No requirement to worry, especially on the newer sets where the issue is pretty much non-existent. I've had OLED for 10 years now I think.

Associate
I've a really old LG C6 (still does 3D!), a Sony 83A90J, and an Alienware 3424DW. No burn in on any of them. I have always used Screensavers on all of them set to a low number of minutes. All have been used for PCs or Consoles.

Soldato
No requirement to worry, especially on the newer sets where the issue is pretty much non-existent. I've had OLED for 10 years now I think.
Thanks. We won’t be gaming on it nor do we leave news channels on for hours on end.. Didnt think it would be an issue although I hear some new models have heat sinks that can help? :confused:

Associate
Have had multiple OLED displays and not experienced any burn in with any of them ( Panasonic and LG displays ).

Last edited:
Soldato
Still no issues here.

My OLED devices:

1 year old Dell aw3423dw monitor
5 year old LG C9 TV
7 year old iPhone X
3 year old iPhone 13 Pro Max

these devices are all used daily and so far have no burn in

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom