Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
My 55” B6 has burn in among other things, like; the centre of the screen shows yellows as green and there’s multiple clusters of dead pixels around the screen. Got £700 back from richer sounds for a TV I bought on 31st December 2016, so not too bad, bought a 65” C2 as it’s replacement so just need to set that up next, luckily checked I still had warranty before the end of the year.

Soldato
My 55” B6 has burn in among other things, like; the centre of the screen shows yellows as green and there’s multiple clusters of dead pixels around the screen. Got £700 back from richer sounds for a TV I bought on 31st December 2016, so not too bad, bought a 65” C2 as it’s replacement so just need to set that up next, luckily checked I still had warranty before the end of the year.
Did they honour the warranty against the burn in or the dead pixels?

Soldato
Didn’t say, I contacted them because the centre of the screen was displaying the wrong colours and only mentioned the dead pixels in a follow up email because I noticed them more when I did the colour test screens they told me to do so that I could get photos to send in to them.

Associate
LG CX 55", used 8+ hours daily, sometimes videogame HUDs on there for 4-6 hours per day, zero sign of burn in. Very happy. Owned the TV for nearly 2 years now, last month I saw the "TV will run pixel refresher next time it's put in stand-by" for the very first time which I take as a good sign that it has taken this long.

Soldato
LG CX 55", used 8+ hours daily, sometimes videogame HUDs on there for 4-6 hours per day, zero sign of burn in. Very happy. Owned the TV for nearly 2 years now, last month I saw the "TV will run pixel refresher next time it's put in stand-by" for the very first time which I take as a good sign that it has taken this long.
My C1 does the pixel refresh thing quite often. No signs of burn in though (but only a year old).

Associate
You can do the pixel refresh manually i noticed on the menu.

I don't use mine much ~hour a day on average, and just only starting gaming on it. So it's good to read they're being resistant to burning with HUDs

Soldato
Anyone with a S95B how do you know if it's doing/done a pixel refresh? It popped up once asking me something or other but I declined not seen anything since after many hours of use.

Associate
How many stating no issues have actually checked test screens?

God knows how long I've had it. Only noticed it when a redscreen popped up.

Oled will degrade no matter what.

Yep I bust out the test patterns every 3-4 months to check uniformity, burn in, and make sure my wife hasn't messed up the picture settings.

Everything "will degrade no matter what." Nothing in this world lasts forever. The question is, is the degradation slow enough that the TV will last several years or long enough for most users? In the vast majority of cases, the answer is yes.

You can do the pixel refresh manually i noticed on the menu.

I don't use mine much ~hour a day on average, and just only starting gaming on it. So it's good to read they're being resistant to burning with HUDs

You can manually force it to do a pixel refresh but you shouldn't unless you are seeing burn-in. OLED pixels by their nature have a fixed lifetime (shorter than normal LEDs), each full pixel refresh shortens that lifetime so it should only be performed when necessary. Unless you are having problems with burn in, just let the TV do the pixel refresh on its own schedule.

Forgot to mention, the AMOLED screen on my 5 year old phone does have noticeable burn in. It's noticeable on a flat white screen, but since most apps are set to dark-mode I rarely notice it in normal use. There's also a single hairline crack right across the screen, that doesn't bother me either, because my phone is a functional item and it performs its functions 100%, it is not used for entertainment. I'm far more sensitive to screen defects on devices I use for entertainment.

Soldato
Yep I bust out the test patterns every 3-4 months to check uniformity, burn in, and make sure my wife hasn't messed up the picture settings.

Everything "will degrade no matter what." Nothing in this world lasts forever. The question is, is the degradation slow enough that the TV will last several years or long enough for most users? In the vast majority of cases, the answer is yes.

You can manually force it to do a pixel refresh but you shouldn't unless you are seeing burn-in. OLED pixels by their nature have a fixed lifetime (shorter than normal LEDs), each full pixel refresh shortens that lifetime so it should only be performed when necessary. Unless you are having problems with burn in, just let the TV do the pixel refresh on its own schedule.

Forgot to mention, the AMOLED screen on my 5 year old phone does have noticeable burn in. It's noticeable on a flat white screen, but since most apps are set to dark-mode I rarely notice it in normal use. There's also a single hairline crack right across the screen, that doesn't bother me either, because my phone is a functional item and it performs its functions 100%, it is not used for entertainment. I'm far more sensitive to screen defects on devices I use for entertainment.
Are you wise? Stop running test until you notice something wrong. Unless you have a burn in warranty.

Even at that a simple full colour background would be sufficient to spot uneven wear.

As for everything wears out that's very dependent on the price paid as well as time.

Also anyone know what's the lifespan to half brightness on new sets?

Associate
Stop running test until you notice something wrong.

You specifically asked if people claiming "no burn-in" had checked using tests. Right here.

How many stating no issues have actually checked test screens?

Then when I confirm that I do indeed do tests, you're saying I shouldn't? Make your damned mind up. Are you wise? Lol.

Besides, what's the point in owning the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc if I don't use it hmm? Riddle me that Mr 'Wise'.

Last edited:
Soldato
You specifically asked if people claiming "no burn-in" had checked using tests. Right here.

Then when I confirm that I do indeed do tests, you're saying I shouldn't? Make your damned mind up. Are you wise? Lol.

Besides, what's the point in owning the Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark disc if I don't use it hmm? Riddle me that Mr 'Wise'.
You're runing tests every couple of months.

That's just a little bit OTT.

Professional use?

Colorimeter?

If your settings have changed do you take remote control privileges off the other half?

Last edited:
Associate
You're runing tests every couple of months.

That's just a little bit OTT.

Professional use?

Colorimeter?

If your settings have changed do you take remote control privileges off the other half?

I don't run the full calibration procedure everytime, I just throw up some test patterns and see if it looks right to my eyes, takes less than 10 minutes. If something looked wrong and I couldn't figure out why I would run a full recalibration but that hasn't happened so far.

I borrowed a CR-200 colorimeter from work (one of our techs showed me how to use it) to calibrate the TV when I bought it, probably didn't do a perfect job but for zero cost I'm happy.

TV is not for professional use but I spoke to some people who do use similar models for professional work and got some advice.

If the settings were changed by the wife I would tickle her till she squeals and consider it a lesson well learned.

Soldato
My C8 is getting worse….

Red background avert poped up and more burn in is appearing.

I used to notice the YouTube logo top right and uneven wear in the centre.

Starting to notice lines top and bottom and the Netflix logo(bottom right).

I never used to game in HRD mode I’m fear of burn in but have done since finding issues…….

Last edited:
Soldato
My C8 is getting worse….

Red background avert poped up and more burn in is appearing.

I used to notice the YouTube logo top right and uneven wear in the centre.

Starting to notice lines top and bottom and the Netflix logo(bottom right).

I never used to game in HRD mode I’m fear of burn in but have done since finding issues…….
The OLED panels after the 8 series received a bigger red subpixel and now the Evo panels in the G2/3 are pretty much resistant

Soldato
The OLED panels after the 8 series received a bigger red subpixel and now the Evo panels in the G2/3 are pretty much resistant
I have the C6 and C8.

The C8 has much larger red sub pixels. R-Tings confirmed this and one of the reason I stumped up just under 3k at the time.

HDTV test also took macro shots of the larger Redsub pixel on the C8.

C8 also had pixel shift and would dim Logos. To prevent burn in. All setting I had turned to the max.

Vincent talks about it around 12mins onwards

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom