Your experience with OLED burn-in

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

Thanks, I'll just say there is a branding issue cause there is is that issue in one corner. Did they just checked the box or actually tested everything to see the issue?
Mine was done online, and I had to send pictures of the issue. All TVs have something up with them to some degree, just some are less obvious. Just do the greyscale YouTube test and you will be able to show the issue.

Associate
Mine was done online, and I had to send pictures of the issue. All TVs have something up with them to some degree, just some are less obvious. Just do the greyscale YouTube test and you will be able to show the issue.
Thanks, so you purchased a TV in store but initiated the return process online?

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

Thanks, so you purchased a TV in store but initiated the return process online?
No I purchased online. I would think it would be the same process. If you bought yours from a store, phone them and they might ask for pictures to be sent.

Associate
I can't fault Currys. I bought a 65C6 almost 5 years ago with 5 year warranty, it suffered burn in after just 2 years - they replaced the panel without question (albeit to a non 3d panel), after a further 2 years, the screen killed itself with a green line running through it. They couldn't repair it this time as the panel couldn't be sourced, so instead refunded me 90% of the original purchase price - used to purchase a new LG oled with 5 year warranty along with some other products, owing to the fact they are now a bit cheaper.

Associate
By the way, if you want the 5 year warranty in writing from Currys, it's worth emailing the ceo team with details of your purchase. I did this with the 65C6, they emailed it over - it paid off in the long run!

Associate
18 months of abusing the hell out of a 65CX and no burn in. Seriously, I've had the same game going for 2 weeks without a break.

If I make it to 3 years without a new one I'll be happy. £500 depreciation a year for a TV and £500 fees for streaming is worth it to me.

Soldato
That's an interesting response from lg as I'm sure EU law states parts need to be available for 10 years after manufacture.

I quoted this back to LG and after a few weeks of silence I’ve just got off the phone with someone at LG customer service. They have magically found a new panel and will collect the TV, replace the panel and send it me back for £250.

Needless to say I snatched their hand off.

Man of Honour
I've had a LG OLED65E6V since 2017 and no burn in that I have noticed, and its used probably about 3 hours a day.

Also have a LG OLED55B7V since 2017 and again no burn in that I have noticed, and that is probably used about 5-6 hours a day.

No gaming though, just Netflix, Prime, Youtube streaming stuff. Maybe a Blu-Ray every now and then.

Now, I specifiy "that I have noticed" I've not gone out of my way to look for it, but in my books if its not obviously visible then its not a problem and I genuinely haven't noticed any visible burn in.

Both 5 year warranties, both now expired (the 55" 4 days ago :() Probably get massive burn in, then burst into flames on Christmas morning now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a LG OLED65E6V since 2017 and no burn in that I have noticed, and its used probably about 3 hours a day.

Also have a LG OLED55B7V since 2017 and again no burn in that I have noticed, and that is probably used about 5-6 hours a day.

No gaming though, just Netflix, Prime, Youtube streaming stuff. Maybe a Blu-Ray every now and then.

Now, I specifiy "that I have noticed" I've not gone out of my way to look for it, but in my books if its not obviously visible then its not a problem and I genuinely haven't noticed any visible burn in.

Both 5 year warranties, both now expired (the 55" 4 days ago :() Probably get massive burn in, then burst into flames on Christmas morning now. :rolleyes:
Just I'm time to pick up a new model in the Jan sales :D .

Soldato
Well after LG collected my OLED65B6V on the 8th of December, it was delivered back this morning.

Was very well packaged up and it had clearly been given a nice brand new panel as I go to do the peel again :D

It certainly feels brighter and more vibrant than before, although most of that will no doubt be due to the fact iv have been using a Samsung LCD in its place. All the settings are exactly the same so it looks like it was just a straight panel swap.

For £250 I'm really happy with the outcome. Thanks again theone8181 for mentioning the whole EU law thing. Had I not gone back to them after initially being fobbed off then I would have been looking for a new TV and trying to offload a burned screen for little money.

Soldato
Well after LG collected my OLED65B6V on the 8th of December, it was delivered back this morning.

Was very well packaged up and it had clearly been given a nice brand new panel as I go to do the peel again :D

It certainly feels brighter and more vibrant than before, although most of that will no doubt be due to the fact iv have been using a Samsung LCD in its place. All the settings are exactly the same so it looks like it was just a straight panel swap.

For £250 I'm really happy with the outcome. Thanks again theone8181 for mentioning the whole EU law thing. Had I not gone back to them after initially being fobbed off then I would have been looking for a new TV and trying to offload a burned screen for little money.
As oleds do die, it's probably not even placebo it looking brighter.

Soldato
Can't remember if I posted in here, but my 55B6 is totally burnt. Bought in 2017, burn in first noticed in 2020. No warranty or goodwill from LG and this also includes a known panel fault. Any yellows in the screen are displayed as green.

The TV is only worth £250 so the £250 LG want for a panel replacement seems pointless. I moved it to the bedroom and bought a C165. This time I configured it as per AVFs guide so hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Caporegime
The burn in is starting to annoy me again after blocking it from memory. It's all the red backgrounds advertisements and shows have been doing around Christmas.

:D
I have noticed the same recently. Blocked out the burn in that my 55C7 has for the last year or so. This year decided to watch some xmas/NYE TV (in Spain) and they seem to be using green and red backgrounds in between shows and I see the burn-in!

Bought the C7 in 2018. By the end of 2020 a lot of COD Warzone and Youtube during the lockdown burnt in (reds issue like most people with this gen TV) LG in Spain don't do the £250 goodwill screen replacement, which I would happily have paid for. Told them to do one when they offered to replace it for £1000 (TV only cost me 1200). Despite this i'll probably still get an LG C2 or Samsung S95B to replace it in the next few months. I really want to stretch to the G2 to get the burn in warranty, but it's a big jump in price. It will have had 5 years use by the time it's replaced, which is poor for a premium TV tbh, but I'm willing to go OLED one more time, as nothing comes close to the quality, for now.

rp2000

Soldato
I've been absolutely hammering Witcher 3 over Christmas. Not seen any issues with the HUD, guess it's best to not go looking for things.

Soldato
:D
I have noticed the same recently. Blocked out the burn in that my 55C7 has for the last year or so. This year decided to watch some xmas/NYE TV (in Spain) and they seem to be using green and red backgrounds in between shows and I see the burn-in!

Bought the C7 in 2018. By the end of 2020 a lot of COD Warzone and Youtube during the lockdown burnt in (reds issue like most people with this gen TV) LG in Spain don't do the £250 goodwill screen replacement, which I would happily have paid for. Told them to do one when they offered to replace it for £1000 (TV only cost me 1200). Despite this i'll probably still get an LG C2 or Samsung S95B to replace it in the next few months. I really want to stretch to the G2 to get the burn in warranty, but it's a big jump in price. It will have had 5 years use by the time it's replaced, which is poor for a premium TV tbh, but I'm willing to go OLED one more time, as nothing comes close to the quality, for now.

rp2000
Yeah that the thing I was checking out the Evo line with the foil for better cooling because they are pushing the brightness.

Turns out only the G and up have the 5 year panel warranty.

Then again 5 years seems to be the point were the wear and tear on the screens starts to show.

Might keep an eye on the C2 EOL sales.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom