• Yes

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 161 79.7%
  • Comedy Option

Votes: 31 15.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Is that not part of the problem though. Netflix releases a lot of it's own guff and frankly would have been better spending the 8 figures on licensing something that a big studio has created. I get that's trickier now that a lot of studios are now running their own streaming platforms, so that boat has mostly sailed for Netflix, but it means they're left with trying to produce their own content.

Netflix have to make their own content because the big media companies all have their own streaming services now. Thats why they pivoted to content creation, they had no choice, and in their case quantity is more important than quality. Just because it's crap doesn't mean people wont either watch it or perceive the regular additions as value even if they dont watch them.

Look at Sky, its screwed - its losing licensed content all over the place but doesn't have the fund to create much of its own content - switching from dishes to streaming is as much a desperate cost saving than an advancement to them.

Associate
not sure if im alllowed to link to a news site but but a tech site with a V reported on it apparently its only in the ad free tier.
Wow, can confirm, on the annual basic (ads) and tried watching Season 1 of Jack Ryan which had Dolby, and now only getting HDR from it. *yeugch*

However, given nothing I have from them is in Dolby Vision and/or Atmos, and I only watch the occasional free listing, hopefully in UHD HDR, that's probably not that big a deal here for me.

Commissario
The right way? So what would the right way be for Amazon to charge extra for its existing 'free' service? Just bump up the cost of Prime to everyone?
Offer multiple tiers.

Offer Prime Delivery, which just gives the free delivery at a cheaper cost than it is now.

Then offer Prime Video just video streaming.

Plus other combinations. I don’t really care about video, would be happy with just the delivery.

Soldato
Offer multiple tiers.

Offer Prime Delivery, which just gives the free delivery at a cheaper cost than it is now.

Then offer Prime Video just video streaming.

Plus other combinations. I don’t really care about video, would be happy with just the delivery.

Why would they make Prime Delivery cheaper, that makes no sense - that's the core product - the video and music bits are just incentives to subscribe.

The video part is already 'free' - if you want the premium version you pay extra - seems fair to me.

The delivery part is already a bargain if you use Amazon a lot and dont want to wait for stuff.

Caporegime
OP
Got the same e-mail in Spanish now, as adverts start here from April 9th. Same as UK, 1.99 a month to remove them.

Edit: As I mentioned in the OP, I will probably pay, but I will first see what the advert experience is like for a few days, just out of curiosity!

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would they make Prime Delivery cheaper, that makes no sense - that's the core product - the video and music bits are just incentives to subscribe.

The video part is already 'free' - if you want the premium version you pay extra - seems fair to me.

The delivery part is already a bargain if you use Amazon a lot and dont want to wait for stuff.
Couldn't agree more. People up in arms but further that the delivery is the main service.
Even just counting the video+no ads Vs Netflix is still cheaper.

Soldato
they are also going to be making you pay for dolby vision too thats meant to be getting striped out and making you pay for it like netflix does with its UHD packages.
Yeah, no Dolby formats anymore. So, that begs the question if a show like Fallout is mastered and available on Prime at 4k Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos -- what do you get instead if you're not paying the extra £1.99? Do you get HDR10+ and err, whats the audio format closest to Atmos? :confused: I could put up with adverts but I didn't spend £2k on my setup to not see things at the absolute best quality. And I have to say Rings of Power looks absolutely stunning.

Caporegime
OP
What's the consensus now the adverts have been out for a while?

I started to see them in Fallout this week. 45 seconds of non skippable adverts before the show starts. Nothing in the middle.

I could easily live with that, and am not even tempted to pay the 1.99 yet, unless the adverts get more aggressive! I think my next show will be The Boys which is still a while away, I think.

Most Importantly it seems HDR10+ is free and I have a Samsung TV that supports it. If I had a Dolby Vision TV id end up paying the 1.99 just for the HDR goodness. I used a soundbar and headphones so not too bothered about the fancy audio I lose.

rp2000

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I watched a couple of episodes of Fallout, remembered how much I find ads disrupt the content and stopped watching it. IIRC first episode had a 20 second ad at the start then a short ad about 60% of the way through then a longer 2 piece ad around 80% which was kind of odd, then the second episode had a longer ad about 30% in and another at about 70%.

I just don't bother with Amazon video really any more.

Soldato
What's the consensus now the adverts have been out for a while?

I started to see them in Fallout this week. 45 seconds of non skippable adverts before the show starts. Nothing in the middle.

I could easily live with that, and am not even tempted to pay the 1.99 yet, unless the adverts get more aggressive! I think my next show will be The Boys which is still a while away, I think.

Most Importantly it seems HDR10+ is free and I have a Samsung TV that supports it. If I had a Dolby Vision TV id end up paying the 1.99 just for the HDR goodness. I used a soundbar and headphones so not too bothered about the fancy audio I lose.

rp2000
Still happy paying the extra for Ad free.

Soldato
I only had an advert at the start of one of the final episodes. I didn't mind it. Though had my experience been adverts during the episodes I probably would've been furious

Back
Top Bottom