Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
If I'm honest I think all three of them are horrible.

I might try the fire. I don't drink these often, but as a liquor which is what it is, I found the honey very easy to drink over ice. I do not mind over indulging on all the sickly sweet food and drink over Christmas.

You ever tried the JD white rabbit saloon? Pricey but well reviewed for a JD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might try the fire. I don't drink these often, but as a liquor which is what it is, I found the honey very easy to drink over ice. I do not mind over indulging on all the sickly sweet food and drink over Christmas.

You ever tried the JD white rabbit saloon? Pricey but well reviewed for a JD.

No, I bet it is good though.

But...... I dunno its £50 for bottle of Jack Daniels........

That being said, I would be interested to see if its the same stuff they put in the legacy editions (both 43% abv) which can be had on offer for just over £20, I'd be a bit butthurt if you are effectively paying £30 over the odds for a different label.

Soldato
No, I bet it is good though.

But...... I dunno its £50 for bottle of Jack Daniels........

That being said, I would be interested to see if its the same stuff they put in the legacy editions (both 43% abv) which can be had on offer for just over £20, I'd be a bit butthurt if you are effectively paying £30 over the odds for a different label.

Yeah I agree, the legacy stuff is decent and if it was more or less the same, it would be a high price to pay.

Soldato
Bulleit £20 in Sainsburys, grabbed the last bottle earlier at my local.

Was looking for JD single barrel select which they had on offer, but my local didn’t stock that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tried a new one this evening, Daddy Rack.

Is very smooth. I'd say somewhere in between a bourbon and rye, it's labelled as Tennessee Whiskey anyway so doesn't claim to be a bourbon.

Easy to drink but possibly lacking any real flavour punch. Was a gift but I have a rough idea of how much and if I'm honest not worth the money, not saying it's bad though.

I'll stick it on the list at some point.

Soldato
OP
Another one, well.....sort of... Howler Head, selling it in Tesco's at the moment, says it's a liqueur, although 40% abv, it says "Kentucky Spirit" for whatever that means, so it counts.

Its like banana flavoured bourbon which I assumed would be vile, but it's actually not bad as although the banana flavour is strong it's somehow not too sweet.

Can't type for toffee
Don
They taste completely different mate

For me JD goes with full fat coke best
Jim beam does suit Pepsi better but its far nicer neat

If Sweet is your game try using Amaretto as your mixer :p
50/50 with a bourbon (or rye for a bit more spice) with a few drops of orange bitters ;)

Associate
Have they changed the Sazerac Rye recently? Used to love it on the rocks but tried it for the first time in years yesterday and it tasted incredibly flat. Profile was just so muted with none of the spice it used to have.

Soldato
They taste completely different mate

For me JD goes with full fat coke best
Jim beam does suit Pepsi better but its far nicer neat

If Sweet is your game try using Amaretto as your mixer :p
50/50 with a bourbon (or rye for a bit more spice) with a few drops of orange bitters ;)

Thanks, I generally prefer Bourbons like Makers, Bulleit, Wild Turkey neat or with ice, but have loads of cans of coke from Christmas and thought about getting a cheaper bottle to mix with it.
I do have a bottle of Amaretto mind, and do like a sweeter drink occasionally.
Thanks

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Got some JD Rye at weekend, its not bad, had better though.
for a 20 quid bottle of rye I thought it was fairly decent tbh, yep had better but not really for 20quid.

longbranch has a little diacount at the meoment:

but there's a voucher for 15% off on your first s+s as we normally have enough items each month for the additional 15% off as well :D
so works out just under 25 a bottle for me, might be time to try it.

anyone had it recently? is it very sweet?

Back
Top Bottom