Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
anyone had it recently? is it very sweet?

Its hard to say as taste is so subjective.

I personally love Longbranch, I've had a few and got one on the shelf.

See I have a bottle of WT 101 on the go right now, and I don't find that too sweet, bit punchy for me if anything, it's not my favourite, Longbranch is a whole ton better, in my opinion of course, but too sweet? Not sure.

That probably doesn't help you :)

Soldato
for a 20 quid bottle of rye I thought it was fairly decent tbh, yep had better but not really for 20quid.

longbranch has a little diacount at the meoment:

but there's a voucher for 15% off on your first s+s as we normally have enough items each month for the additional 15% off as well :D
so works out just under 25 a bottle for me, might be time to try it.

anyone had it recently? is it very sweet?
Oh yeah the JD rye is nice, especially for the price, its just like you say had better but at higher prices.

Longbranch is really nice, I had a bottle a few months back, I can't remember thinking to myself this is sweet.

As for 101 same as mentioned its ok, but I found it a little too punchy for my liking and not as smooth as I like.

My top favourites in no particular order.

Makers Mark
Bulleit
Longbranch (when on offer)
Buffalo Trace
Jack Daniels Legacy editions and single select (when on offer)

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Yea I'll just take regular Wild Turkey over 101. Longbranch is nice but expensive for what it is, usually like £45 full price which mental, it was £30 before Xmas on Amazon so I bought 3 bottles.

yeah 45 quid I'm not gambling that sorta money... a tad under 25 tho I'm tempted

I think the last one that I took a proper gamble on was Tincup, was very happy with it

Ordered the longbranch after @beachBOYken 's post lol
It's on your heid mate :p

Soldato
Purchased Makers Mark £25 (Amazon & Sainsbury's) and Buffalo Trace £19.99 (Amazon) the other day.

My local Sainsbury's don't seem to stock Buffalo anymore, which was a bottle I would often get, but saying that I prefer Makers and Bulliet now for around similar price. But at £19.99 on Amazon I couldn't say no.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Soldato
OP
I don't get all the rage for ER in all honesty
Remember the time it dropped to just over 20 a bottle, I grabbed a handfull at that price haha

Yeah I agree taste of course is subjective and obviously I am glad he is enjoying it, but didn't do anything for me either thought it was well overrated and expensive for what it is, nothing wrong with it as such just found it bland.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Thats what I found too, was rather tame, think I was just expecting more with all the hype it gets.

20 a bottle yeah ill pay that any more this and I may as well look at woodford or tincup.

I'm happy with good old Jim beam mind haha

Soldato
Eagle Rare is aged stated,unlike a lot of Bourbons available now and almost single barrel so there is batch to batch variation. The only reason it isn't single barrel,is because the machinery isn't cleaned between bottlings from every barrel. It's "hyped" because of its age statement which is no different than with Scotch. In the US it's main competitor is Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 Year,which is slightly more expensive. But in the UK it's over £60.

In many states in the US,Eagle Rare costs more than in the UK. The RRP is $30 in the US,so the UK price is more or less an exact conversion if you include VAT. Also it does open up quite a bit if left open for a while. Plus Buffalo Trace in the UK is bottled at only 40% ABV,so is really weak tasting compared to the US bottlings which are at the same strength as Eagle Rare.

Also in general Buffalo Trace products are also quite expensive in Europe. For example,EH Taylor uses the same Mashbill #1 as Eagle Rare,but instead of $40 in the US,it's sold at closer to £100. My bottle of Stagg Jnr,which is a cask strength Mashbill #1 product(although NAS is probably over 12 years old) cost me £80~£90....and that is considered decent for the UK.Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2 products are no where near RRP.

It's even worse with Heaven Hill products. Eagle Rare 12 was replaced by a NAS version at a much higher price in the UK,which is inferior. I had some of the older batches of Eagle Rare 10,which are well over 10 years which definitely had more oakiness than the current ones,so even that is getting younger stuff being used.

Woodford Reserve,etc are NAS and generally younger,which can make them more exciting. You can sort of tell by the taste.

But I found older bottlings of Woodford Reserve and Wild Turkey 101 superior to the newer ones.The latter used to have an 8 year age statement.It seems,as with Scotch,younger spirit is being bottled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom