Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
BTW,it seems Matthew McConaughey is winding down his collaboration with Wild Turkey:

He helped create Wild Turkey Longbranch,so the label on the bottle might change. Might make the old one collectable.

Also,Wild Turkey 101,was £16.50 on subscription a few days ago.

With duty on whisky increasing by 10.1% in August it might be advisable to stock up on a few bottles of any favourite whisky people have.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
With duty on whisky increasing by 10.1% in August it might be advisable to stock up on a few bottles of any favourite whisky people have.

I am surprised Bourbon hasn't gone up already.

Given everything going on, inflation etc bourbon really anymore expensive than it was 5 years ago, when factoring inflation.

I was talking to a chap who lives in the states and he reckons he pays about £35 USD for a bottle of markers mark, which in interesting because you can regularly get that here for low 20's in pounds, doing the exchange rate as of today its about the same if not marginally cheaper here, which makes no sense really.

But yes I will wait for the next good offer to go on markers mark or bulleit as these two tend to be my favourite "regular drinkers" and grab a few. I still do have several bottles here though including a bottle of Longbranch.

Soldato
I am surprised Bourbon hasn't gone up already.

Given everything going on, inflation etc bourbon really anymore expensive than it was 5 years ago, when factoring inflation.

I was talking to a chap who lives in the states and he reckons he pays about £35 USD for a bottle of markers mark, which in interesting because you can regularly get that here for low 20's in pounds, doing the exchange rate as of today its about the same if not marginally cheaper here, which makes no sense really.

But yes I will wait for the next good offer to go on markers mark or bulleit as these two tend to be my favourite "regular drinkers" and grab a few. I still do have several bottles here though including a bottle of Longbranch.
It's definitely gone up for age stated stuff and then you have to factor in UK importers adding their cut on top and the Bourbon tariffs until last year.In the US some states have huge alcohol taxes and Buffalo Trace/Eagle Rare can be allocated in some states so retailers add a markup! So hilariously its cheaper for us here!

Heaven Hill are ripoff merchants in Europe.

Buffalo Trace only price Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and some of the Kosher range well but the rest is not worth it unless you get a rare RRP deal. JD, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey,Makers Mark, Four Roses, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve core ranges you see under $40 in the US are well priced in the UK. At the higher end, there are deals on JD Single Barrel Barrel Strength and Wild Turkey Rare Breed on Amazon for about £45 to £55 which are solid for cask strength bourbons.When the former is on offer its cheaper than the US.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just stick to Makers, Bulleit, Jim Beam double oak and the likes.

I only get the slightly more expensive stuff like Longbranch when on offer.

Just got Makers Mark for £23 on Amazon which is a complete bargain really for a decent spirit.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shame as some of the other offerings are really great.

For sure, I’ve tried loads of them, but personally I find some of cheaper stuff very nice.

I’ve tried Mitchers, and Slipknot No9 which the latter is very very nice.
Also have a bottle of Blantons Gold in the cupboard.
Just can’t afford them prices all the time with my drinking habit, lol.

Soldato
OP
For sure, I’ve tried loads of them, but personally I find some of cheaper stuff very nice.

To be honest, with the exception of the odd one, I most of the time don't like the more expensive ones as much as just standard makers mark, bullet, woodford, can't go wrong and often just over £20.

Soldato

Some of it I liked before all the internet hype jacked pricing up,and the distilleries realised they could rebadge the NAS stuff the same as the age stated 10/12 year old version. It's even happening with Scotch too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems like ages since I posted in this thread.

New one to add to the list: Jack Daniels - Bonded

Packs in at 50% ABV....it's okay, bit of a burn but then 50% so.... but something like Knob Creek will do you better at a similar price point and strength.

Soldato
OP
Another one Jack Daniels Music Edition

On Amazon £25, I am pretty sure its the same stuff as the legacy editions, its 43% the same ABV, it is definitely not the standard stuff.

I bought the limited "McLaren" version in Tesco which is just the standard stuff and drank that with coke, because whilst I can drink Jack Daniels straight, I dont particularly enjoy it. I have a collection going of various JD bottles, which is the only reason I got it.

I assumed, this music edition one was the same, so drank about 2/3 of the bottle with coke as well, but upon closer inspection of the bottle (and it isnt obvious) I noted the ABV actually 43% and now drinking it straight can confirm. I feel I somewhat wasted 2/3 of this bottle now putting it in coke, but nevermind.

Soldato
Seems like ages since I posted in this thread.

New one to add to the list: Jack Daniels - Bonded

Packs in at 50% ABV....it's okay, bit of a burn but then 50% so.... but something like Knob Creek will do you better at a similar price point and strength.

I don’t tend to drink as much whisky over the summer, well I do but a bottle goes a little further.
Been on the scotch lately, bought a bottle of Jura bourbon cask for £22 which was good for the price.

Also just purchased a bottle of Woodford reserve £22 @Amazon
I prefer Makers to Woodford but at that price I couldn’t say no.

Did I say I don’t drink as much over the summer, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom