Learner: Changing Gears Question

Associate
Originally posted by MikeTimbers
Engine breaking is highly efficient. Why do you think there are notices on steep hills advising to change to a low gear?

Personally I use engine breaking all the time but then I also put the car into neutral sometimes when going down hills :shrug:

You change down as a backup to your brakes failing on a hill AFAIK

Man of Honour
Block changing (ie 5th down to 2nd for example) is the "correct" way to pass your test. It is also sympathetic to the car (cheaper to reline brakes than rebuild a gearbox)
However, it's generally about as handy as a chocolate teapot if you wan't to do any real performance driving.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by MikeTimbers
Engine breaking is highly efficient. Why do you think there are notices on steep hills advising to change to a low gear?

Personally I use engine breaking all the time but then I also put the car into neutral sometimes when going down hills :shrug:
You really shouldn't put the car in neutral. All the time you are in neutral or cruising with the clutch depressed you are not in full control of the vehicle.

Soldato
Originally posted by Lopéz
You really shouldn't put the car in neutral. All the time you are in neutral or cruising with the clutch depressed you are not in full control of the vehicle.

M8 of mine had an awful habit of pressing the clutch down at whatever speed and coasting up to junctions/roundabouts...bloody horrible feeling...
:)

Soldato
Things that wasn't taught in lessons:
1. Use of high gear to stop brake fade (I learnt that driving from the wirral to Llyn Brenig for flyfishing trips)
2. That reverse has a higher gear ratio than first (hence easier to get up a hill in reverse) - there is a small road in wales that looks innocent but 90% of cars can't get up in first.
3. Pulling off in second in winter - this lowers the gear ratio and the power delivered to the wheels.

I'd recommend skid pan and forms of other driving lessons once you pass your test. 4x4 lessons are as fun as race circuits - just remember to keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel.

Man of Honour
Apologies for being repetitive... but I still think once having passed your test (which I think is far too easy still) you should do something like the institue of advance motorists http://www.iam.org.uk

to improve your skill and make you less of a liability on the road, a) for yourself, and b) for other road users - also it boosts your confidence and your skill to 90% more than everybody else on the road.

that's my 2 cents...

Soldato
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Going down a hill on a normal road, I will put the car in whatever gear will keep the car below the speed limit but when on a dual carriageway and already at speed, I often coast down hills. :shrug: it saves on fuel :)

Going from 4th to 2nd would suggest either a surge in revs immediately after the change or that the car was close to stalling before the change. I have always tried to keep the revs more or less constant and use the gears to control speed rather than the engine or the brakes. This improves fuel economy.

As for coasting up to junctions, so long as the driver is ready to brake, he is being more fuel efficient in allowing the momentum of the car to reach the junction rather than continuing to provide unnecessary fuel to the engine.

BTW, I have been driving 22 years and passed my test first time (FWIW, since the test was much easier in those days) and have also had advanced driver training from the police. I'm not saying that makes me a better driver than other posters but I do have a lot of experience.

Man of Honour
Mike - don't you think that the test is still relatively easy? The IAM is acredited or certainly tested by advanced police drivers - have you tried it heard of it? it'd very good - not quite up to your 22 years of experience... but certainly more than a 17-24 year old! :p

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

...At the moment, i just wanna pass!

I was told to do block changes going down so 5 - 2 is acceptable :) Still didn't help calm my damm nerves on the test tho :( Re-Test seems like ages away!!

Soldato
Haven't really looked into the current test but it seems to have more theory than when I took it. After pulling into the test center and while still in the car, the examiner asked me three simple questions (well, simple if you know the answers, I suppose) and that was that.

As I said in another thread recently, it helps when you have to do an emergency stop for real during the exam and miss a small boy running in front of you! Couldn't really be failed after that, could I?

As for the IAM, I would recommend to any new driver to continue training because the instructors teach you to pass a test, not to drive a car. I check my rear-view much more than required for the test because there are so many manic drivers around that it is vital to know where the bastiches are! Learning to drive defensively is critical to your safety and your insurance premiums.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's why I took my IAM or at least joined it at first then took my advanced test - I see what you mean about it being slightly different!!!

The test has changed quite a bit in the last five years also...

I still think doing ANY advanced driving should be requird after passing your test.

I was told to do block changes going down so 5 - 2 is acceptable Still didn't help calm my damm nerves on the test tho Re-Test seems like ages away!!

do that and what your instructor tells you and you'll be fine! at least you are asking questions, a lot of people daren't ask - clearing as much ignorance about driving will make you safer as in the long run things will become instinctive when you do it often enough... i.e. concentrating when changing gears.

Soldato
I heard that going from 5-4-3-2 will get you marked down on your test...

I do a combo of block changing and sequential changing, depending on the urgency to stop (or the need to accelerate away quicker without the car lurching forward)

Associate
I thought the whole idea originally of going through the gears i.e 5-4-3-2-1, was because gearboxes didnt have synchromesh in them, which does something to mesh the gears :p

Please correct or praise me, hell even hit me if you feel so obliged!

Ross m8

Soldato
I was taught to drop down the gears 5-4-3-2-1 etc though occasionally do 5 to 3 or 4 to 2 and the like but never a sharp brake in 5th then drop down to 1 or 2. I did the test as taught & recieved no gear related minor faults. You alse have better control of the car when you drop down the gears sequentially.

Soldato
I'd have to disagree with you there cemetery. Sequential changing was actually the required way to gear change for driving tests but we're talking 30 years ago. It doesn't give you any greater degree of control and it has nothing to do with mesh boxes it was just a style of changing. If you want to slow down putting your foot on the clutch multiple times isn't the most efficient way to do it and as many will know the loss of drive when declutched will further reduce engine braking, adding to this the extra faffing around with the stick when what your main concern is is judging approach speed and distance can't be helpful.
Of course there's always exceptions and sometimes when slowing very gradually it can be better practice to drop to a lower cog imho at least.

Use yer brakes to slow down.. not yer clutch :p

Suspended
OP
Just a quick note.

I dont drive by going down the gears, i do drive the way my instructor(s) have taught me, by slowing down and going to 2nd or first or whatever.

P.S. Thanks for all the comments, its great learning.

Soldato
Am not that old :p only did my test last year :D

To clarify you change down the gears whilst having your foot on the brake thus are still using them to slow & staying in the correct gear for the speed/revs so you can drive off quicker if the opportunity presents itself :p Also, dunno about you but extra stick faffage isn't really a concern for me when slowing down as there is no need to look when doing it so concentration remains on the road.

Of course I wouldn't advise doing this in emergency stop situations :p but in general it is well all I have done & been taught to do. The few times where I have done it the other way I have felt a little less in control of the car (not by a huge amount granted) & well it just feels wrong :p

Back
Top Bottom