Learner: Changing Gears Question

Soldato
I Have the ultimate answer, because i too am a L34RN3R :cool:

IF ! you are approching a junction where you cannot see left > right > left as there are obstructions in the way, you cruise up to the junction in wot ever gear you were in before (could be 3rd 4th, 5th) then select 1st to pull away from a complete stop

IF ! you are approching a junction where you can see left > right > left then select second at a suitable speed, checking left right and left before coming to the edge of the junction ....... if safe, off you go in 2nd, if not safe, come to a complete stop... go into 1st, handbrake on depending on time your gonna be there set your revs & clutch wait until it is safe to go then away we go in 1st.

IF your just going along a road and you see an obsticle in the way (branch, cat, dog, OAP in one of them amazing electronic brum brums and your not sure wot they are doing ... you should STEP down the gears ... ie say we're in 4th, > 3rd > 2nd > stop = 1st.... if at any stage on the way down the gears the obsticle goes away, then away we go in wot ever gear your in.

IF there just cars in your way and you coming upto... let say some Red Lights, and you KNOW your going to hav to stop then go and come to a stop in wot ever gear you were in before, as in the 1st example...

This is the extent of my knowledge i could be comepletly wrong, but im 99.999999% sure im not

after you've passed you can do wot you like, as i have been told by parents / brother / uncles... but until then, you should follow it

alternativly ask your instructor :)

thanks for reading the longest post i've ever written

Permabanned
Engine braking doesn't work in modern cars like it used to with older cars, due to the levels of improvement in engineering. Older cars had more resistance in the engine than new ones. Engine braking increases the temperature of your engine, causing unneccesary wear. Engine braking also fatigues your engine quicker, as well as eating your clutch.

Permabanned
Originally posted by MoJo
I Have the ultimate answer, because i too am a L34RN3R :cool:

IF ! you are approching a junction where you cannot see left > right > left as there are obstructions in the way, you cruise up to the junction in wot ever gear you were in before (could be 3rd 4th, 5th) then select 1st to pull away from a complete stop

IF ! you are approching a junction where you can see left > right > left then select second at a suitable speed, checking left right and left before coming to the edge of the junction ....... if safe, off you go in 2nd, if not safe, come to a complete stop... go into 1st, handbrake on depending on time your gonna be there set your revs & clutch wait until it is safe to go then away we go in 1st.

IF your just going along a road and you see an obsticle in the way (branch, cat, dog, OAP in one of them amazing electronic brum brums and your not sure wot they are doing ... you should STEP down the gears ... ie say we're in 4th, > 3rd > 2nd > stop = 1st.... if at any stage on the way down the gears the obsticle goes away, then away we go in wot ever gear your in.

IF there just cars in your way and you coming upto... let say some Red Lights, and you KNOW your going to hav to stop then go and come to a stop in wot ever gear you were in before, as in the 1st example...

This is the extent of my knowledge i could be comepletly wrong, but im 99.999999% sure im not

after you've passed you can do wot you like, as i have been told by parents / brother / uncles... but until then, you should follow it

alternativly ask your instructor :)

thanks for reading the longest post i've ever written

This is actually about right, except you don't need to keep going down the gears if you are slowing down, behind the granny, you could have rolled behind her in 5th until it was safe to pass, engage the gear you want and pull round her.

You won't stall the engine by leaving it in 5th and slowing down to 10mph, but you won't be able to pull away if you leave it there and you will have to dip the clutch to stop/travel below (about) 10 mph.

Caporegime
Originally posted by dexteruk
1, If you are making progress you do need to.

Thats why i said normally.

2, How do you know how i drive normally?

I didn't say you did, I was generalising. If a person drives normally (IE not like a boy racer) they wont need to break hard for corners. Even if your making progress you don't usually have to brake hard.

3, it's you're not your.

Sorry :rolleyes: BTW You are supposed use capitals after a number and also a full stop rather than a comma.

Why have you picked out a few minor point you disagree with ?
Si:mad:

Man of Honour
Originally posted by big richard
Engine braking doesn't work in modern cars like it used to with older cars, due to the levels of improvement in engineering. Older cars had more resistance in the engine than new ones. Engine braking increases the temperature of your engine, causing unneccesary wear. Engine braking also fatigues your engine quicker, as well as eating your clutch.

yes but also since modern engines ARE newer they are also less susceptible to wear and tear as they are designed better and also can cope with more wear and force on it. if anything I would say that a modern engine is probably better as it has more refinement for both styles of driving! :)

Soldato
Originally posted by big richard
Eh? :confused:

Engine braking is caused by the vehicle working against the compressive forces inside the Cylinder.
Since 'modern' engines run at higher compression ratios than 'old' ones, the effect is actually increased. ;)
This is why diesel engines have a better braking effect than petrols, due to their much higher CR. :)
The exception is, of course, turbocharged petrol engines, which have a comparatively low CR.

And why would it increase clutch wear? You're only backing of the accelerator, not dipping the clutch in and out.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Originally posted by paintguy
And why would it increase clutch wear? You're only backing of the accelerator, not dipping the clutch in and out.

The idea is you change down a gear causing the car to slow rather than using the brakes, thus increasing clutch wear.

Soldato
Originally posted by Jez
The idea is you change down a gear causing the car to slow rather than using the brakes, thus increasing clutch wear.
Oh right!
I think there must be some crazy people about to consider doing that :eek:
That's not a good idea, not in line with IAM or Roadcraft either.

I was talking about 'normal' engine brakeing, i.e. just slowing the car down by releasing accelerator. Perfectly acceptable. :)

Man of Honour
Oh right!
I think there must be some crazy people about to consider doing that :eek:
That's not a good idea, not in line with IAM or Roadcraft either.
Go for a spin with someone who can drive quickly (and I do mean quickly, not just "nippy" or whatever) and you will soon see the benefits.

Soldato
Originally posted by Lopéz
Go for a spin with someone who can drive quickly (and I do mean quickly, not just "nippy" or whatever) and you will soon see the benefits.
If the brakes on the vehicle are inadequate and need the extra braking effect of the engine then yes.
It's something I used to do when grass tracking 'bangers' ;)

But i thought we were talking about road driving here, and if your brakes aren't enough then you shouldn't be going so fast!

These things are okay on a track but thats where they should stay, imho :)

Man of Honour
If the brakes on the vehicle are inadequate and need the extra braking effect of the engine then yes.
It's something I used to do when grass tracking 'bangers' ;)

But i thought we were talking about road driving here, and if your brakes aren't enough then you shouldn't be going so fast!

These things are okay on a track but thats where they should stay, imho :)
Yeah but the general point of it is not to slow the car down *that* much - you're keeping the car balanced and in the powerband, the revs stay higher and you are more prepared for the corner.

Soldato
Originally posted by Lopéz
Yeah but the general point of it is not to slow the car down *that* much - you're keeping the car balanced and in the powerband, the revs stay higher and you are more prepared for the corner.
Right, I'm with you on that, I must have had the other end of the stick, lol.

Totally agree on keeping the engine 'on the pipe' when driving quickly.
Especially in turbocharged cars, to keep the boost up. :)
But rather than using the engine as an extra brake,
I try and balance speed, throttle and revs, so changing down doesn't upset the car.
Just what you're saying above ( I think ).

At first, I thought you were advocating using the engine as substitute for proper braking :o

Back
Top Bottom