LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
Know what you mean - running a C2 ... I like it that I can watch movies on my monitor also and it will look great.
Watched many reviews and read many forum posts deciding between this, and some of the Alienware models and I can honestly say that this has probably been the best PC purchase I have made. Last noticeable upgrade I have made was when switching to SSD from HDDs. Upgrading GPUs have not ever felt this big and I have had many of those over 20+ years.

Got two things left to iron out and that's LG Companion as it switches the TV on but not off and the other is looking into HDR more as I am still on Win 10 and it's whether I need to upgrade to 11.

Associate
Watched many reviews and read many forum posts deciding between this, and some of the Alienware models and I can honestly say that this has probably been the best PC purchase I have made. Last noticeable upgrade I have made was when switching to SSD from HDDs. Upgrading GPUs have not ever felt this big and I have had many of those over 20+ years.

Got two things left to iron out and that's LG Companion as it switches the TV on but not off and the other is looking into HDR more as I am still on Win 10 and it's whether I need to upgrade to 11.
hmmm I manually turn the tv on and off - is there an easier way? ... I have my c2 set to hd with windows 10 but are you saying it will work better with windows 11?

Associate
hmmm I manually turn the tv on and off - is there an easier way? ... I have my c2 set to hd with windows 10 but are you saying it will work better with windows 11?
Yeah there is. If you look up LG Companion on either Reddit or directly on GitHub you'll find it. It is a small program that will actually switch on and off the TV as if it were a monitor. I just need to tweak mine as I may have read it works better when connected to the router rather than wi-fi. To be honest I've just been enjoying media and games on it to fully focus on fixing it.

I believe it's supposed to be. I am personally a little reluctant to move to 11 as 10 seems to work for me. However there's a HDR app available on the windows store that allows toggling of HDR on and off through a key press so then you can have HDR off in desktop and then a quick toggle on when gaming etc.

I read and read a lot about this TV and of course the Alienware before buying mines last Wednesday so I may not exactly be 100% factual at least in the HDR department but I'll keep looking into it before I am pretty much forced to upgrade to 11

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah there is. If you look up LG Companion on either Reddit or directly on GitHub you'll find it. It is a small program that will actually switch on and off the TV as if it were a monitor. I just need to tweak mine as I may have read it works better when connected to the router rather than wi-fi. To be honest I've just been enjoying media and games on it to fully focus on fixing it.

I believe it's supposed to be. I am personally a little reluctant to move to 11 as 10 seems to work for me. However there's a HDR app available on the windows store that allows toggling of HDR on and off through a key press so then you can have HDR off in desktop and then a quick toggle on when gaming etc.

I read and read a lot about this TV and of course the Alienware before buying mines last Wednesday so I may not exactly be 100% factual at least in the HDR department but I'll keep looking into it before I am pretty much forced to upgrade to 11
oh good to know about the app - Im going to check it out. Ive had mine for a little over a year now and love it also (although Id like it slightly bigger just not 48" thou). Games look so much better now. I personally just like the screen without any severe coatings on it (hard to get a decent screen like that).

Caporegime

companion once you get it sorted is a godsend. HDR works perfectly on Win11 and worth upgrading just for that IMO

Associate
Another vote for Win 11 based on the ease of HDR handling!
Cheers. Got the day off tomorrow so hopefully I should be able to upgrade and keep my files. Be interested to see the difference as I was playing The Amazing Spiderman with HDR on and thinking hmmm not so sure this looks like what I expected

Caporegime
Cheers. Got the day off tomorrow so hopefully I should be able to upgrade and keep my files. Be interested to see the difference as I was playing The Amazing Spiderman with HDR on and thinking hmmm not so sure this looks like what I expected
If you do go Win 11, its Win+Alt+B to switch HDR on or off. And the Windows 11 HDR calibration tool works well too if you havent calibrated your monitor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom