LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
Guys, any solutions to grey/near black banding? I have a brand new C3 42 inch. I know grey/near black banding is typical of woleds, but it is very visible in games, when browsing Steam/Epic Store (they have grey backgrounds) and on greyscale tests. I have 14 days to return the tv. Is it something that can go away with time? (apparently not) Should I be patient with it or manually run the pixel refresh (I know it is not advisable and usually doesn't help). The TV would be fantastic if it wasn't for grey/near black banding - there are no other issues, the TV is perfect size for my desk etc. I did not have any banding issues on my 34 inch Alienware qd oled - does it mean that qd oleds do not have this issue?

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, any solutions to grey/near black banding? I have a brand new C3 42 inch. I know grey/near black banding is typical of woleds, but it is very visible in games, when browsing Steam/Epic Store (they have grey backgrounds) and on greyscale tests. I have 14 days to return the tv. Is it something that can go away with time? (apparently not) Should I be patient with it or manually run the pixel refresh (I know it is not advisable and usually doesn't help). The TV would be fantastic if it wasn't for grey/near black banding - there are no other issues, the TV is perfect size for my desk etc. I did not have any banding issues on my 34 inch Alienware qd oled - does it mean that qd oleds do not have this issue?
what are you viewing in steam? i can have a look to see if i get the banding on my screen. could just be the settings as i cant say i have noticed much banding.

Associate
Steam and Epic Store have dark grey backgrounds - vertical banding is very visible there on C3 and also in dark games when moving/panning a camera. I have no banding on my AW3423DW qd oled in the same scenarios. I guess I won the panel lottery with my DW and it doesn't want to be replaced with C3 :) Shame as in other aspects (4k, size, working space, apps, movie watching) C3 is perfect. Settings are not the reason - I set them up according to one of the best settings guides for LG oleds there is online. What I am asking is how big of a chance is there that if I decide to keep it and sell DW, banding on C3will improve with time? I have a return period of 2 weeks to decide.

Last edited:
Associate
Steam and Epic Store have dark grey backgrounds - vertical banding is very visible there on C3 and also in dark games when moving/panning a camera. I have no banding on my AW3423DW qd oled in the same scenarios. I guess I won the panel lottery with my DW and it doesn't want to be replaced with C3 :) Shame as in other aspects (4k, size, working space, apps, movie watching) C3 is perfect. Settings are not the reason - I set them up according to one of the best settings guides for LG oleds there is online. What I am asking is how big of a chance is there that if I decide to keep it and sell DW, banding on C3will improve with time? I have a return period of 2 weeks to decide.
fair enough, i cant answer if its going to get better maybe someone else can help.
there is some banding when i went on steam to check on my c3 aswell. i guess you have to decide if its just that one thing that you have to live with amongst all the other positives you stated.

not sure what the other alternatives would be at that size/price point

Soldato
Aren't they the same thing lol, I've got burn in on my panel.
Image retention is temporary and usually goes either with time (hours/session), or after a pixel refresh or similar. Can be because of temperature/voltage persistence on the panel :)

Burn-in is exactly what it says. Burned into the pixels.

Soldato
My LG C2 42" has developed mild image retention in one corner of the screen, TV is only 17 months old. Had Richer Sounds send an engineer out and confirmed it was image retention (albeit a mild form). They've rang me today to say they can't get a new panel so have offered me a £640 (Tv was £799 when purchased) store credit and allowed me to keep the TV. Think I'll keep that aside for when the G4 sets drop in price end of the year :)
Quite surprising they honoured their warranty for burn in without having you jump through hoops.

Associate
I have spent some more time with C3 42 and just displaying content and using the monitor for the last 3 days (over 15h hours total) I noticed that the banding has improved quite substantially to the point that it is not visible when watching films and playing games (atm it is only a little visible in specific scenarios like grey/near black solid backgrounds in windows and apps). Pink titnting typical for wbe panels is also not visible in film and game content, only visible a bit on solid white background in windows and websites. After 3 days, when it comes to banding and tinting, I am happy with the panel.
I also managed to compare HDR in gaming vs DW and I have to say C3's HDR is more bright and generally more impressive (250 nits more in 10% window do their job I guess).
My return window has not ended yet, but at the moment of writing this I am 95% sure I am going to keep C3 and sell the Alienware. I am very impressed with C3's HDR performance and brightness, 4k resolution makes difference in games/picture quality/sharpness and although I love 21:9 I forgot how good it is to have a higher panel (16:9) with more screen.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it safe to play games on this TV (I have C3 42) in ultrawide from time to time or do I risk uneven screen wear? Common sense tells me I am good as long as I keep using both aspect ratios for gaming anternately, right?

Associate
I am still on the c2, and use it pretty much every day - no retention issues at all.
I tend to keep it pretty black when reading texts, and use the LG Dual Up for reading work documents etc, that is far nicer on the eyes anyway for that purpose.

Soldato
I have a bright colour background on mine but I don't leave my screen on the desktop for hours.
I don't baby it at all, I don't think there is any need for my usage and if it does degrade, that won't be a bad thing per se as it gives an excuse to try a new screen :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I was to be fair.

That is a result, there are so many cases over on AV forums the uk one with richer sounds customers not repairing or replacing due to burn in.

I don't game, but my LG C2 has been solid for last 2 years but I am using it purely for TV viewing, not monitor or gaming duties with tpc/gsr off.

As with anything, better to enable tpc/gsr before an engineer pops over and just pretend your as smart as a bag of nuts.

Associate
I've just been looking at the 48" C3, which seems to be down to a decent price on the forest place.

I'd be intending to put it into a DCS/MSFS sim rig, is there any reason why the 48" would be a bad idea over the 42"? I'm thinking potentially pixel density and those kind of things.

Back
Top Bottom