LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
Watched many reviews and read many forum posts deciding between this, and some of the Alienware models and I can honestly say that this has probably been the best PC purchase I have made. Last noticeable upgrade I have made was when switching to SSD from HDDs. Upgrading GPUs have not ever felt this big and I have had many of those over 20+ years.

Got two things left to iron out and that's LG Companion as it switches the TV on but not off and the other is looking into HDR more as I am still on Win 10 and it's whether I need to upgrade to 11.

Why not have both..? :p

IMG-5917.jpg

Associate
I am really tempted to switch form AW3423DW to LG C3 42 but am worried about color volume/brightness and hdr brightness difference between the two? Has anyone switched like that and can comment?

Associate
I am really tempted to switch form AW3423DW to LG C3 42 but am worried about color volume/brightness and hdr brightness difference between the two? Has anyone switched like that and can comment?
as you can see above I'm using 48" C1 and 27" qd oled and while the qd oled is more colourful in hdr and has slightly brighter highlights it's not a huge difference.
the biggest difference to me is 360hz, reduced input lag and higher full screen brightness that is noticeable in normal desktop use.

Associate
as you can see above I'm using 48" C1 and 27" qd oled and while the qd oled is more colourful in hdr and has slightly brighter highlights it's not a huge difference.
the biggest difference to me is 360hz, reduced input lag and higher full screen brightness that is noticeable in normal desktop use.
so what you are saying is the overall difference is negligible?
is the 4k desktop and 4k gaming visibly clearer compared to 1440p in your eyes?
isn't hdr more impressive on C1 simply because the display is bigger and has higher hdr brightness in 10% window?

Soldato
My LG C2 42" has developed mild image retention in one corner of the screen, TV is only 17 months old. Had Richer Sounds send an engineer out and confirmed it was image retention (albeit a mild form). They've rang me today to say they can't get a new panel so have offered me a £640 (Tv was £799 when purchased) store credit and allowed me to keep the TV. Think I'll keep that aside for when the G4 sets drop in price end of the year :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice to see prices falling to £840 ( with discount code ) for the C3 42 inch

That is about what they should be i feel, £1400 is steep

Associate
so what you are saying is the overall difference is negligible?
is the 4k desktop and 4k gaming visibly clearer compared to 1440p in your eyes?
isn't hdr more impressive on C1 simply because the display is bigger and has higher hdr brightness in 10% window?

For desktop use my 48” isn’t very comfortable and has lower ppi than the 27” 1440p screen.
Also not having your display turn on and off with the computer is a bit of a hassle.
You can use colorcontrol to turn on and off the screen over network but it’s not 100% reliable and also windows has to load up and colorcontrol need to auto start to turn the tv on and it takes more time than I would like to.
Games however look better sharpness wise for me on my LG.
I prefer 4K DLSS quality over 1440p native gaming and performance is similar.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, I caved in and have just ordered 42 inch C3. It will be arriving early next week. Will set it up, put it on the desk, do some gaming and decide if it is worth keeping vs DW. Hope it will be worth the hassle.

Associate
Just to an act as a counter point, I bought a 42 inch C3 to use for work and gaming recently and ended up returning it after a week.

Personally I just found it a bit too overwhelming. Even with the oled brightness turned right down I started getting headaches and motion sickness when gaming. I did all the recommended tweaks and gave it a good week to see if it was something I’d adjust to but it didn’t happen.

I think I’m probably in the minority experiencing these problems but wanted to put it out there.

Associate
Sure, everyone has thier own expierience.
In my case, I just need a bigger screen for my desk and although DW has been perfect these last 2 years, two things have started bothering me about it lately - size and inability to tweak picture settings in hdr, especially if a game has raised blacks in hdr etc. Also my urge for a change heavily factors in.
I used to use 55 inch C8 as a monitor in the past :cry:, so I have some experience with big screens for PC use.

Last edited:
Associate
My LG C2 42" has developed mild image retention in one corner of the screen, TV is only 17 months old. Had Richer Sounds send an engineer out and confirmed it was image retention (albeit a mild form). They've rang me today to say they can't get a new panel so have offered me a £640 (Tv was £799 when purchased) store credit and allowed me to keep the TV. Think I'll keep that aside for when the G4 sets drop in price end of the year :)

Did they say why they couldn't get the panel? Be interested to know why, as it can't be obsolete already.

Associate
Just to an act as a counter point, I bought a 42 inch C3 to use for work and gaming recently and ended up returning it after a week.

Personally I just found it a bit too overwhelming. Even with the oled brightness turned right down I started getting headaches and motion sickness when gaming. I did all the recommended tweaks and gave it a good week to see if it was something I’d adjust to but it didn’t happen.

I think I’m probably in the minority experiencing these problems but wanted to put it out there.

Never experienced motion sickness or anything like that, how far away was you from the panel? But I too found my 42 c2 a tad too, been stored away and only used for about a week. Waiting for an excuse to use it again.

I've mainly been switching between my DW and PG27AQDM over the last year or so, and I think I prefer the 27" 16'9.

The 42 is still a great panel, love them. Especially for the price I picked it up for

Soldato
Did they say why they couldn't get the panel? Be interested to know why, as it can't be obsolete already.

They didn't say just that they couldn't source one, I suspect due to cost of the smaller OLED panels it wasn't worth it, I'm waiting for my local to get the G2 in as this is down to £899 and the C2 was only used on my sim rig so it'll be a nice upgrade, I've got a G2 downstairs and it's amazing!

Man of Honour

It definitely took a while to get used to the size. The brightness isn’t too bad, I turned it down a bit and added bias lighting behind the screen. The S95B is far brighter.

Associate
Wow how'd you manage to get image retention? I have a 3 year old 48CX using it daily as a PC monitor, 0 image retention. Curious if you had your taskbar not on auto hide? And very high brightness? (I keep mine ~20-30).

Regarding size, I got used to the 48CX but it is definitely at the cusp of "too large" for normal PC use. I had a 32" for a few days (new alienware) and it was quite a relief being able to see the whole screen so easily. Definitely less immersive though. I wonder if 42 would be a good compromise, since the immersion of 48" is really great. Decisions...

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, I caved in and have just ordered 42 inch C3. It will be arriving early next week. Will set it up, put it on the desk, do some gaming and decide if it is worth keeping vs DW. Hope it will be worth the hassle.
TV arrived this morning with a big hole in the box. The box looks like someone hit it with a hatchet :cry: (I am exaggerating a bit)

Just managed to check it with courier for panel and back damage before leaving for work and it seems unscathed (syrofoam inside got hit hard though). Makes me wonder if it works properly when I set it up this evening - total disrespect for someone's property from warehouse people and courier company (was thinking for a second of not accepting it).

Fingers crossed it works properly after turning it on :)

Wow how'd you manage to get image retention? I have a 3 year old 48CX using it daily as a PC monitor, 0 image retention. Curious if you had your taskbar not on auto hide? And very high brightness? (I keep mine ~20-30).

Regarding size, I got used to the 48CX but it is definitely at the cusp of "too large" for normal PC use. I had a 32" for a few days (new alienware) and it was quite a relief being able to see the whole screen so easily. Definitely less immersive though. I wonder if 42 would be a good compromise, since the immersion of 48" is really great. Decisions...
if 48 is a bit too large and 32 is too small then maybe 42 inch will be perfect for you
I have a desk that is 80cm deep and 42 inch seems perfect size, love my DW but the panel has become too small with time if you know what I mean

Last edited:
Associate
any reason why you have retention? did you mess with settings or have a screen up too long?

Soldato
any reason why you have retention? did you mess with settings or have a screen up too long?

I have no idea, bar was always on auto hide and all preventive settings have always been on. Once I get my G2 I'll be extra careful, but that will only be used for my sim rig anyway so won't be left on unless needed.

Associate
I have no idea, bar was always on auto hide and all preventive settings have always been on. Once I get my G2 I'll be extra careful, but that will only be used for my sim rig anyway so won't be left on unless needed.
makes me wonder as I use my computer for gaming/stock charts and normal computer use but just am mindful to put it in sleep if Im going to be away from it ...

Back
Top Bottom