New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime
Wanted to come back to this after the latest episode of Picard.

A take that aged like a fine milk there, @Gerard :p

In the context of discovery it made sense to redesign it, weren't you the one banging on about how all the ships scales had been increased? If they included the original design of the tos enterprise it would have looked tiny vs any other federation ship. Plus the bridge and internals would look totally out of place vs other federation ships that are meant to be of around the same age. In picard it makes sense to keep it mostly the same as its around 100 years after tos, so things looking dated isn't that much of an issue as plenty of time has passed to have it make sense looking that way.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
In the context of discovery it made sense to redesign it, weren't you the one banging on about how all the ships scales had been increased? If they included the original design of the tos enterprise it would have looked tiny vs any other federation ship. Plus the bridge and internals would look totally out of place vs other federation ships that are meant to be of around the same age. In picard it makes sense to keep it mostly the same as its around 100 years after tos, so things looking dated isn't that much of an issue as plenty of time has passed to have it make sense looking that way.

Lol.

So, which design is now canon in the prime timeline Gerard? If we go by most recently shown, then it's the original. Until SNW airs again, and it's the Discoprise. Which of course was already seen in Picard S1 as a hologram.

It's a mess, and a mess that we now know could/should/would have been completely avoided if the likes of Kurtzman had given a single toss about maintaining even a close approximation of visual continuity. We're now left with three different and incompatible Star Trek universes - Disco/SNW/Picard S1&2 in one, the JJTrek films in theirs, and the Prime timeline has everything else plus Picard S3.

Long past the time that a showrunner admitted that.

Caporegime
Lol.

So, which design is now canon in the prime timeline Gerard? If we go by most recently shown, then it's the original. Until SNW airs again, and it's the Discoprise. Which of course was already seen in Picard S1 as a hologram.

It's a mess, and a mess that we now know could/should/would have been completely avoided if the likes of Kurtzman had given a single toss about maintaining even a close approximation of visual continuity. We're now left with three different and incompatible Star Trek universes - Disco/SNW/Picard S1&2 in one, the JJTrek films in theirs, and the Prime timeline has everything else plus Picard S3.

Long past the time that a showrunner admitted that.

"Lol"

Go tweet kurtzman about it, I've my own issues with things on the shows, but as for ship design I generally just put each show into its own pigeonhole in terms of design. For me, discovery is basically a bad reimagining of things that i gave up on after season 3, and I've not watched snw so no real opinion on that.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
"Lol"

Go tweet kurtzman about it, I've my own issues with things on the shows, but as for ship design I generally just put each show into its own pigeonhole in terms of design. For me, discovery is basically a bad reimagining of things that i gave up on after season 3, and I've not watched snw so no real opinion on that.

That's nice, but the people making the shows claim that they're all in the same timeline. So you'd rather hope that they'd be consistent regarding something as important as the look of starships, yeah?

It'd be like someone making a film about the life of Sir Stirling Moss, and when it got to the Mercedes racing days have a modern AMG GT in place of a 300SL because the filmmaker thought the AMG GT looks cooler even though it's wildly out of place...

Caporegime
That's nice, but the people making the shows claim that they're all in the same timeline. So you'd rather hope that they'd be consistent regarding something as important as the look of starships, yeah?

It'd be like someone making a film about the life of Sir Stirling Moss, and when it got to the Mercedes racing days have a modern AMG GT in place of a 300SL because the filmmaker thought the AMG GT looks cooler even though it's wildly out of place...

Again, i take each show for what it is. Picard is currently the only one I watch, not seen anything of SNW and less said about Disco the better.

People are always going to tinker\redesign stuff, even the TOS connie in Picard has been tinkered with as the original model didn't have even near that level of detail where you could see the hull plating, so its not as if they yoinked it out of tos and slapped it into Picard, even that has had a bit of "finessing".

As to why they changed things in SNW and Disco, go ask Kurtzman.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Connie couldn't look any better in Picard. It looks exactly as it should, just with more details. The shape and design is as it should be, not messed with in any way. As much as I enjoy SNW the Connie looks so wrong. It's like they tried to combine, the original, the refit and the 2009. Picard showed that classic ships still look great next to more modern designs.

Caporegime
The Connie couldn't look any better in Picard. It looks exactly as it should, just with more details. The shape and design is as it should be, not messed with in any way. As much as I enjoy SNW the Connie looks so wrong. It's like they tried to combine, the original, the refit and the 2009. Picard showed that classic ships still look great next to more modern designs.

Can't even remember what it looks like, only remember seeing it in disco for an appearance and that was it, and that's a few years back now.

zFmQ2Yn.jpg

pyUbF5n.jpg

2 of my favourites :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Never know, they might have written a fantastic story and fixed all the characters in the break, then we'll all be crying out it ended too soon and it deserved more! (better chance of a red shirt surviving an away mission)

Enterprise deserved a 5th season.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Never know, they might have written a fantastic story and fixed all the characters in the break, then we'll all be crying out it ended too soon and it deserved more! (better chance of a red shirt surviving an away mission)

We said that in anticipation of season 2. And again for season 3.

And again for season 4.

As you say - it's a pretty slim chance of them actually getting this one right, given the wretchedness of everything that's gone before.

Enterprise deserved a 5th season.

Sure. But that's because it figured out how to be a good show (until the series finale took all that growth and flushed it straight down the nearest toilet!).

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I not sure that discovery warrants all the hate, its not great but it ain't bad

Depends which hate you're on about.

If you're on about the wanging on regarding wokeness and the 'LGBTQ++++?!# agenda' and pronouns and how there aren't enough straight white male characters on the bridge then yeah, that's absolutely unwarranted. If you're on about the strangled screaming regarding plot non-twists and the continuity issues and the absurdly high MCU-level stakes and the bat **** insanity that lies in trying to fit the USS Discoball interior to the exterior...

Back
Top Bottom