New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Out tomorrow on Paramount+

lr5dNwQ.gif

Soldato
Still annoyed SGU got cancelled, it started to get good finally then boom cancelled :mad:
I know.. I stupidly thought I'd watch ST:D this morning and THE MESSAGE just slaps you so hard in the face I gave up (have done largely since S3) and I had SGU pop up in my suggestions so rewatched the first episode.. By 2024 standards it would be a god amongst men..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Episode 1 was great, not seen 2 yet. They basically pulled an Adama move with the ships which was great to see. BSG would have episodes where they do something so crazy you go wtf, but then you watch it play out and it's the best Sci-Fi you've seen in a long time. This will go in the books alongside the Adama move.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
*sigh*

5x01, 5x02 - "Red Directive", "Under the Twin Moons"

You know what, revisiting the Progenitors - a sound idea. It was a great episode of TNG ("The Chase"), and a concept and storyline that was worth coming back to.

And yet...I don't care. I don't care about this ship, this crew, this time period. It's too late to try and get me invested, especially given that they've gone a stupid route with it already. In "The Chase" the major powers - Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans - were on the hunt believing that they were looking for a powerful weapon, and Picard was trying to find whatever it was before they could. It turned out that it was actually a message from the ancient race that seeded life throughout the galaxy about how they were all related. Here...that potential superweapon idea is back on the table. I mean...it's the Genesis device. Not literally of course, but thematically. The power of creation, a weapon in the wrong hands. We've been here before, with much better and less boring works than this.

Other musings:

1) shuttering the spore drive program and leaving the USS Discoball as a one-off seems...stupidly short-sighted, even for this version of the Trek universe.
2) some face-meltingly awful dialogue, proving that this is still Star Trek: Discovery.
3) Burnham remains a Mary Sue of the worst kind, also proving that this is still Star Trek: Discovery.
4) Would have been nice to get a look at the interior of the Antares, see what a 32nd century starship was like inside compared with the refitted Discoball. No such luck.
5) I see we're undoing part of the relentlessly consequence-free ending to S4, and breaking up Burnham and Book. I like how they were still rock-solid when Book betrayed the rebuilding Federation and took off with the 'villain' of the year in that season, and now not so much. Makes perfect Discovery sense.
6) L'ak and Moll, the antagonists as we open this season, are pretty much from the 'Osyraa, Pirate Queen of the Back End of Nowhere™' school of Disco bad guys - deeply unconvincing. Maybe they'll get around to turning them into something more interesting in the remaining episoooohohohhahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Oh, I crack myself up sometimes...

Soldato
I actually enjoyed both episodes. Far better than anything over the last couple of seasons. Yes obviously there are some silly issues etc but overall more enjoyable.

I noticed something in the this season on Discovery trailer released yesterday.
there is a phser fight on board what looks like the SNW Entprise. However it is likely not that ship but possibly the Defiant. There is a clear shot of sickbay and the Terran Empire logo is on the wall.

the episode is also called mirrors.

i also liked the inclusion of an old Soong style android, with a very Data looking wig.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
No No.... sorry all I want to do is fire a laser in her face and end it now.... warp-drive skateboarding..... yeah Ok..............

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Wouldn't it have been great if revisiting the Progenitors had been a Picard S2/3 thing instead of STD?

Could have had a sprawling story over 20 episodes with Picard doing archaeology and stumbling onto something that relates to the Progenitors. Towards the midpoint of the story at the end of S2 there's a revelation that the Founders are after the secret, he needs Starfleet support. S3 involves him getting the band back together, recovering the Data matrix in a new body, getting onto the Enterprise-D and solving the mystery.

But no. Instead we get subjected to Michael Burnham, Galactic Messiah, One True Light™ and her merry band of Ensign Rickys chasing down the Genesis Device the Progenitor MacGuffin before two incredibly dull thieves can get to it. Oh, and presumably she'll get back together with Book at some point. Otherwise, who's she going to take as her +1 to Saru's wedding?

Soldato
Better start to s5 than I thought they'd go with once it got past the warp bubble scenes at the start.

Is this the first time in Star Trek history that a ship has 'crashed' into a planet and survived?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Better start to s5 than I thought they'd go with once it got past the warp bubble scenes at the start.

Is this the first time in Star Trek history that a ship has 'crashed' into a planet and survived?

The Disco herself - they crashed onto that ice planet when they arrived in the 32nd century. There was also the USS Franklin that the crew ended up on in Star Trek Beyond, I can't remember if that had crashed or was soft-landed though.

Soldato
The Disco herself - they crashed onto that ice planet when they arrived in the 32nd century. There was also the USS Franklin that the crew ended up on in Star Trek Beyond, I can't remember if that had crashed or was soft-landed though.

Don't remember those but looks like I was wrong :) , one that I've always remembered is from the TNG films where they crash the saucer onto the planet.

Back
Top Bottom