• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Why is there so many different versions of some the GPU's these days ?

4070 super
4070 ti
4070 ti super

Ocuk list 20 differnet models of Geforce cards and then you have all the different versions & brands of each one.

Seems crazy and surely it just going to confused a lot of buyers

Last edited:
Associate
I bought a Thermal Grizzly delidding tool and direct die block from OCUK for my 7950x3D and decided to use liquid metal for the first time in my PC history. Delidding was easy with the tool and LM concerns seem overrated if you're careful lol. My CPU temps are great now.

But I also put LM on my Waterforce 4080, and that's opened up some fun with the 1000w BIOS as it has a 1.2v limit https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/255340/255340

Time Spy - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/110314910?
Time Spy Extreme - https://www.3dmark.com/spy/47328126
Port Royal - https://www.3dmark.com/pr/2911819

0m18b3Z.png

All it cost me was a peak of 630w and an 80 degree hotspot.

But I'd say those temp peaks are really good for pumping at most 1.185v into the core @ 600w+ :eek:

Soldato
Don't think I'll daily that mind you :cry:

I know some serious OCers have put up to 1.2v into their GPUs but I'm a bit apprehensive about going that high. Though 1.85v is almost there!

Just gotta watch temps, especially hotspot and keep an eye on power draw.

I broke 2 brand new i7-2600k cpu's back in the day by feeding them to many volts for chasing high bench scores

No way i be doing that with my 4090 GPU these days with the prices of them, I haven't even tried overclocking it past the stock OC boost which is hitting around 2750mhz (+/- 25mhz)

Last edited:
Associate
I broke 2 brand new i7-2600k cpu's back in the day by feeding them to many volts for chasing high bench scores

No way i be doing that with my 4090 GPU these days with the prices of them, I haven't even tried overclocking it past the stock OC boost which is hitting around 2750mhz (+/- 25mhz)

It's usually the mixture of voltage, amps and thermals that can cause major issues, so as long as temps are under control in relation to power draw, should be fine for benching.

Hardware these days is usually pretty resilient unless you are unlucky or get really mad with it.

Soldato
Hmmm it seems the middle fan on my card is making a pulsing, whining noise when spinning down. It’s enough to annoy me and on something so expensive I’m thinking RMA. Usually when going from 80% to 50% - it happens for about 2 seconds.

Anyone else had this on an MSI card?

I’m concerned it’s a bearing that will only get worse. I can recreate it by changing speed with fan control so it is definitely not coil whine.

EDIT: FGS I think it was actually a spare blanking plate I left in the bottom of the case that was resonating. I've removed it along with the others and can't recreate it for now. Fingers crossed.

EDIT2: Definitely can't recreate it now. What a mug. :D

EDIT3: Fan3 on MSI 4080S is a totally different sensor, I wondered why it was off. If using Fan control, you need to map it separately. What???!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just want to check if this is 'normal' with a Founders edition 4080s, can't really find any reference videos :(.

Is it supposed to sound like it's 'buzzing' when fan 2 is spinning, I've already sent one back due a similar noise. It is not coil whine, can't hear any of that which is nice :)

Caporegime
Just want to check if this is 'normal' with a Founders edition 4080s, can't really find any reference videos :(.

Is it supposed to sound like it's 'buzzing' when fan 2 is spinning, I've already sent one back due a similar noise. It is not coil whine, can't hear any of that which is nice :)

Nope, not normal at all, dodgy fan or maybe it's blades are clipping the aluminium shroud.

Soldato

Common issue, it's the air being pulled through heatsink by the top fan causing turbulence. You can test it by covering intake directly below the fan with a bit of paper or card, buzz should lessen. If not then dodgy fan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Common issue, it's the air being pulled through heatsink by the top fan causing turbulence. You can test it by covering intake directly below the fan with a bit of paper or card, buzz should lessen. If not then dodgy fan.
Tried this, the paper was literally being sucked to the gpu, it went down a very small amount.....

Nope, not normal at all, dodgy fan or maybe it's blades are clipping the aluminium shroud.
Right back to the retailer again then, ironically this is a replacement for the last one which had the same sort of noise issue hence why I was questioning if it was 'normal'....

They clearly don't do enough QC at Nvidia to let this sort of thing leave the factory. Think it will be going for a refund this time though.

Soldato

MicroCenter’s trade-in value for GeForce RTX 4090 is just $699, 1/3 of its cost​

:cry:

Back
Top Bottom