• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
if both keep increasing prices, then pc gaming will ultimately die in time, they wont develop games with such a small user base or push the boundaries of graphics with few owning high end gpus capable of running it. obviously this is a long term view. instead either wages will catch up n make them more affordable to the masses in time, or the highly unlikely if not impossible scenario of them reducing prices.
Considering enterprise market currently is sooo much bigger than gaming and gaming one actually has to compete for the same limited production capacity... I'd say NVIDIA wouldn't mind gaming vanishing even tomorrow - the'd be just as rich as they're now and would at least hear less complaints about pricing. ;P

BTW, I just read in news that 4090 connectors are still melting in large enough amounts, for repair shops to replace 200+ a month (and these are paid for repairs aside whatever vendors do under warranty, which should be much larger number). :/

Last edited:
Soldato
4090 owners will just have to dry their eyes on some paper

:confused: After buying a 4090 I don’t have any of that kind of paper left :cry:

if both keep increasing prices, then pc gaming will ultimately die in time, they wont develop games with such a small user base or push the boundaries of graphics with few owning high end gpus capable of running it. obviously this is a long term view. instead either wages will catch up n make them more affordable to the masses in time, or the highly unlikely if not impossible scenario of them reducing prices.

People were saying that when the 2000 series got released back in 2018
Then again when the 3000 series got released in 2020
And then again when the 4000 series got released in 2022

Last edited:
Soldato
:confused: After buying 4090 I don’t have any ofthat kind of paper left :cry:

People were saying that when the 2000 series got released back in 2018
Then again when the 3000 series got released in 2020
And then again when the 4000 series got released in 2022
indeed, but look how fewer sales there are this gen from gamers but as explained this is a long term. must be one of the worst gen for sales? am no expert mind :cry:

Associate
He also said 970 had 4GB and held a GPU up that was meant to be the real thing and it turned out to have wooden screws. Lol.

It will be what it will be once it is announced. Even then it could change. Just look at the 4080 12GB :cry:

It was the sheer gaslighting from NV with the 970 that got me. Had no idea that Reddit was even a thing 9 years ago but here you go,

The first few lines from that thread are just lol:

As stated in title. Link to the information about the issue. For now, nVidia seem to know about this, but no information yet on how they will fix it.

:D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Plus, isn't consumer Blackwell rumoured to be on the same 4N node (just an improved 5nm one)? If so the improvements aren't going to be anywhere near as large as going from crappy Samdung 8nm to cutting-edge 4N...

I thought 3nm was proving to be crazy-costly.
Nvidia will be able to increase die sizes though if needed, 4N should also be much more refined by now and have better yields so it should be much cheaper to produce larger dies.

750mm2 5090 / 500mm2 5080 and 400mm2 4070 would probably get them a 40-50% perf increase across the board although efficiency would take a bit of a hit but Nvidia does have room to play with in that department.

Soldato
indeed, but look how fewer sales there are this gen from gamers but as explained this is a long term. must be one of the worst gen for sales? am no expert mind :cry:

Is it even possiable to know how many less sales to gamers there are with the 4000 series as the last gen had the mining boom

Plus there been all the crazy price increases over the last two years of just about everything else that going to hit GPU sales

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a quick look pre-mining 2019 Q4 Nvidia gaming revenue was 1.49 billion while 2023 Q4 gaming revenue was 2.9 billion.

The 4000 series are selling extremely well.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Jensen can **** off. Gaming isn't THAT important to me, plenty of other things to do.

Thing is, not like we NEED to upgrade. My current card can play everything in my steam library. I would be fine not buying any triple a games that my card could not handle and skip a gen if needed. What would that be, 5 or so games? Even then one could play those with settings down a bit or two if you really wanted.

Point is even if card prices shot up and one did not want to be taken from behind dry you could still enjoy current library, plus many other new games that are not super demanding like indie games or whatever. Not being able to upgrade does not mean you can't suddenly be a pc gamer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a quick look pre-mining 2019 Q4 Nvidia gaming revenue was 1.49 billion while 2023 Q4 gaming revenue was 2.9 billion.

The 4000 series are selling extremely well.
Turing was never a great seller though and you have to remember that Nvidia is now charging over twice as much per die, a 445mm2 2060 super was going for under £400 back then while nowadays Nvidia are selling a 379mm2 die for £1000 so sales are probably similar to Turing was back then but profits look much better because Nvidia are selling equivalent cards for over twice the price.

Last edited:
Associate
Turing was never a great seller though and you have to remember that Nvidia is now charging over twice as much per die, a 445mm2 2060 super was going for under £400 back then while nowadays Nvidia are selling a 379mm2 die for £1000 so sales are probably similar to Turing was back then but profits look much better because Nvidia are selling equivalent cards for over twice the price.
And people are buying them (4080/4080 Supers) now out of necessity as they held off upgrades for so long from 10 series. This unfortunately is sending out the wrong messages to Nvidia.

If the 4080 is actually the real 4070 compared to past gens’ then the XTX is the real 7700XT/7700 - :( I don’t know anymore! - very sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Soldato
1440p so so easy to run instead of 4k, kinda miss just needing a mid-range gfx card :D
Ay, but they're selling mid range cards at high end prices these days. The 4k screen was too big for the distance I sat away from it imo as well. I found myself leaning back from the desk on a controller.

Not gonna be a part of it anymore. I'm pretty hooked on the instant response and the colours of oled now anyway.

Associate
Interesting statement I must say. Willing to expand on your theory on this?
Just echoing what @Joxeon theorised a few months ago. I’ve lost track of what is reality now!

AD103 (4080) = GA104 (3070)

d6ddnfbxfmp91.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom