*** Offical Dragon's Dogma 2 Thread ***

Soldato
Ah right. Fired one more rock and it opened up.

There are also two other trebuchets in that area in case you haven't found them. If you haven't then you need to go to location III first as that opens up the area to get to IV.

Out of curiosity, what are those red icons on the map? not seen those before :eek:

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what are those red icons on the map? not seen those before :eek:
Wakestone shards.

You can get an item called Dragon's Gaze. When you use it, it will show any Wakestone shards in the vicinity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wakestone shards.

You can get an item called Dragon's Gaze. When you use it, it will show any Wakestone shards in the vicinity.

Nice one! seems I need to progress with the main quest!

Man of Honour
What does fine mean? PC spec and fps you getting? Thx <3
I'm getting 60fps in 4k outside of the city, about 45 in the city. DLSS on quality, all high settings except for the usual suspects (motion blur, bloom, depth of field) turned off

(Not using frame gen mod)

Last edited:
Associate
Ah right. Fired one more rock and it opened up.

There are also two other trebuchets in that area in case you haven't found them. If you haven't then you need to go to location III first as that opens up the area to get to IV.
I didn't even think to interact with them when I was in the area. There's so much to the game. I was just doing quests and almost barrelled into the ending. Haven't even got all the vocations yet so I did a 180 and kept exploring.

Soldato
I think I have barrelled into the ending by accident :o it looks like I missed a good 2/3 of the quests off somehow. But explored a lot of the world and done lots of combat, got the 50 caves achievement etc, so over level 100 with all vocations maxed. Wayfarer becomes amazing btw. I think I will play the quests I missed which seems to be most when DLC comes out.

Soldato
I think I have barrelled into the ending by accident :o it looks like I missed a good 2/3 of the quests off somehow. But explored a lot of the world and done lots of combat, got the 50 caves achievement etc, so over level 100 with all vocations maxed. Wayfarer becomes amazing btw. I think I will play the quests I missed which seems to be most when DLC comes out.

Is the wayfarer the jack of all trades vocation? So can use any weapon etc?

Soldato
Friend who is playing this sent me his impressions:

So anything that doesn't relate to combat seems like a big bummer to me.
There were several main so-called "stealth" missions in the city. The fact that there is no option to freely save the game in the game is quite stressful, but wait.. I can put on the armor of the guards. So 3 quests in a row I was running around an empty castle wearing guard armor armed with 15FPS trying to find where I am even supposed to stealth.
The "ball" quest was also funny. When characters would appear and disappear in a small circular room completely randomly and I didn't know if I should wait for someone or walk away. So I'm a little scared that now the game is supposed to drop in quality, because in my opinion this was the worst the game has to offer.
Overall, the disappearing and appearing of NPCs is something that cannot even be imagined according to the description - it LITERALLY works in such a way that the player walks down an empty street and suddenly characters appear all around him. After a while some might disappear, and it's terribly schizophrenic. It's not an exaggeration at all.

Sidequests are also "great" - two people want a jewel, I buy it from a merchant 10 meters from them, I have it forged by him, so I have two. When I give a guy the fake one, he says he has to verify it - he takes it to the dealer who faked it for me and then leaves for a while. At that point, I bribe the merchant. Quest done.
Not to mention the fact that there are repeated quests where the player returns to the village to defeat the lizards. And it is presented in such an absurd manner that they are being attacked. You come to a village, there is a guy in the middle who stops you. Without any urgency, he tells you in a calm voice that it's still bad and the lizards are attacking, so I think to myself "okay, they probably have regular raids here, so maybe I'll finally solve it", but no, he's talking directly about that moment. Once the conversation is over, two lizards will spawn in the middle and a battle will begin.

That director of this game pretty much deserves the bashing he's getting for the big-mouthed statements he made.

Anyway, similar to DD1, it's nice to wander around the world. I wish there was more variability of enemies - it is smaller than in the first one and there is not much new here. And also please reduce the number of boring respawn trashmob combat.
It probably is not better than DD1. Those who did not enjoy DD1, avoid DD2.

I really like the pawn mechanic, with exchanging pawns between players, it is pretty good, but their chatter is annoying endlessly.
The game can feel quite atmospheric at times, camping at night. I'm really looking forward to what the DLC will do with it, there is lot of stuff that could be improved. But I expect they will just recycle stuff from first game and its DLC, given the lack of innovation here..

Itsuno is Japan's Todd Howard. - random idea from reddit, but it fits. By the way, he blatantly lied repeatedly during the promo campaign. I think this should not be completely overlooked.

Associate

I can fully understand where some of this comes from. The NPC's appearing and dissappearing out of view is jarring and immersion breaking certainly. It also runs between OK and terrible for me on a 7900xtx @4k and settings make little difference. The stealth sections so far have been a joke, can literally just wander around to your intended target past all sorts of "guards". I also imensley dislike the targeting at times (or lack thereof). Facial animations and general NPC animations are terrible. One section where you are surrounded by thieves (without spoiling) you have one clapping FOR EVER, one shaking their head FOR EVER. Makes no sense and removes any notion that the NPC's are living in the world. Pawns getting stuck on scenery, falling of cliffs or going into water. I'm sure there is plenty more I could complain about - however...

I still find myself coming back to it. It's certainly not top of my list of favourite games like some people seem to feel it is, but it's interesting enough to continue with. Last night fighting two armoured enemies in a valley, in the dark was epic. Flashes going off everywhere highlighting shadowy giant shapes in the night - nothing else I've played gives you that excitement and feeling.

I just feel like there is so much they could have done better. Jankyness should not be classed as a positive - it does not give it character - it should just work better. This had / has so much potential to be an all time great game, personally I feel it missed the mark - but I'll keep playing because some of the epic fights are fun.

Man of Honour
Friend who is playing this sent me his impressions:
What does he mean by cant freely save?

I get what they mean by the npc pop-in and the stealth aspects, however for me, this has been immense fun and has had so many epic moments and adventures that it makes up for the issues present in the game, especially in a game market these days where games are too scripted and limited . The only other game that I've played which has had the sorts of moments and adventuring feels , was Skyrim, and thats good company to be associated with.

Its not going to be my game of the year but its very nice to play an RPG which actually gives the feeling of freedom of an RPG for a change.

Soldato
Is the wayfarer the jack of all trades vocation? So can use any weapon etc?

Yeah, basically you can use any weapon, Armor or skill from anything you have unlocked thus far. Basically main skill of the Wayfarer is the Rearmament skill which lets you switch weapon in combat. You can then slot up to 9 weapons then sequence through them in an order you want (Do not worry, it only counts the heaviest equipped weapon towards your weight limit, the other 8 do not count). However limit is still you only get 4 slots, 1 of which is taken up by Rearmament, leaving you with 3 skills slots. Also limited in that you cannot use the master skills from each class, otherwise expect everyone would just run the class instead of a squishy class just to get the powerful armours.

But its all about then finding the combos with the three skills you have left. For example my current staple I start with Sorcerer staff, set Augural flare off (skill 1), switch to Magic archer to fire off the basic arrow attack (no skill) then fly right into the face with Mystic spearhand Dragoun’s Foin (skill 2) then if needed finish off with skull splitter from thief (skill 3) and by this point Augural flare goes off wrecking everything.

Also final note, class does take a long time to level as it shares its experience with other class's you have not yet maxed. Bonus of this is by the time I levelled wayfarer to max, a number of my other class's which I never touched (but did unlock) levelled to about level 5.

Associate
Just about to wrap up my first playthrough - stumbled upon the "true" ending. Now I understand why there are some players who complain the main story finishes abruptly - it doesn't, they just didn't discover the proper ending which adds another 10+ hours of gameplay.

Overall, I found this game to be very ambitious in scope but its execution is flawed. At times it downright disrespects the player's time and does a bad job of explaining some game mechanics eg. the "true" ending game world state. I would score it as a 7/10.

Associate
I dunno, I didn't play it. I guess he means not being able to have different save slots, experiment.
I would guess he means it only gives you one save slot. Certain events and actions can result in the game overwriting your last save eg. using an "unmaking" arrow, so there's no going back if something happens you don't like and you want to change the outcome ( without using a save mod, that is ). Furthermore, without getting into spoiler territory, the "true" ending changes up the rest/save mechanic again - without explaining it to you !

Last edited:
Soldato
I like that it doesn't hold your hand and you have to work stuff out for yourself, adds to the sense of an actual 'adventure'. And even the one save slot is different, oh you did that but don't like the outcome, tough **** you should have chose differently :D really makes you think about your actions and choices, even small choices about using certain items or when to set up camp etc.

Man of Honour
I would guess he means it only gives you one save slot. Certain events and actions can result in the game overwriting your last save eg. using an "unmaking" arrow, so there's no going back if something happens you don't like and you want to change the outcome ( without using a save mod, that is ). Furthermore, without getting into spoiler territory, the "true" ending changes up the rest/save mechanic again - without explaining it to you !
Must be that, thing is I like that it only has the one save. I was never one of those people who used to play the fantasy books in the 80s with the numbers in and used to turn to a number on a decision and not like what happened so went back and turned to a different page instead. For me, part of the RP in a game is that my decisions should have repercussions, both good and bad, and I have to deal with them. I guess having multiple slots for those who want to save scum is useful for them though and still wouldnt prevent me only using 1 save slot.

Soldato
Must be that, thing is I like that it only has the one save. I was never one of those people who used to play the fantasy books in the 80s with the numbers in and used to turn to a number on a decision and not like what happened so went back and turned to a different page instead.
I forgit all about those Ian Livingston books. I was bad I sometimes I had 4 or 5 page options on the go :p and probably why I like quick saves.

Used to love those books, the only books I have ever enjoyed really and i have ust remembered I wrote my own too as part of a school project. Wonder where it is...

Back
Top Bottom