Poll: Official 2024 Japanese Grand Prix Race Thread - International Racing Course, Suzuka - Race 4/24

Rate the Japan race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Reading requires interaction and imagination, attending a concert requires interaction, if you define listening to something or watching TV etc. a hobby then that is your choice I'm firmly in the camp that it is not. Also I never accused anything of being lame, just defining a hobby in an odd way.
I think differences can apply, whilst watching TV is hardly an activity that could be an actual hobby, following F1 in it's entirety on TV, or going to the races, is, as is collecting F1 memorabilia. But I personally would not include just watching the races though. It's rather open to interpretation really if the Cambridge Dictionary's definition is applied https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hobby

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I think to some extent we have better memories of Japanese Grand Prix in the past because they tended to be title deciders up until the 00's - there's often been pretty dull races albeit more exciting because of the "meaningfulness" of a title decider.
While the drivers love Suzuka there's been plenty of poor races.

Soldato
I definitely agree that if you found that race boring you'll find every dry race boring or you need your driver to win
I didn't watch it live, just the replay and seemed OK but again the results are predictable as max sails in front after the first couple of corners, merc imploding again and perez showing that he is a very average / poor driver or that rb his driving is the same one pre 2021...

I've skipped the last two races. I've never done that before and I'm voting with my wallet. I'm not one of those f1 fans that complains that it's boring and still watch it. I actually stop watching it.

I may tune in again in Silverstone and spa and then not bother until next season.

Each to their own but I find f1 super boring.

Thank god football or soccer as some call it is way more entertaining for me and we have one of if not the most exciting title races ever with 3 teams fighting

Vs last 2.5 years of max sailing away with no competition

Caporegime
I didn't watch it live, just the replay and seemed OK but again the results are predictable as max sails in front after the first couple of corners, merc imploding again and perez showing that he is a very average / poor driver or that rb his driving is the same one pre 2021...

I've skipped the last two races. I've never done that before and I'm voting with my wallet. I'm not one of those f1 fans that complains that it's boring and still watch it. I actually stop watching it.

I may tune in again in Silverstone and spa and then not bother until next season.

Each to their own but I find f1 super boring.

Thank god football or soccer as some call it is way more entertaining for me and we have one of if not the most exciting title races ever with 3 teams fighting

Vs last 2.5 years of max sailing away with no competition

Its much less interesting than it used to be. I wouldn't pay for it now.
And I only watch full replays of I hear it's good. Mostly highlights are fine.

Not sure if it's just "getting older" or it's actually worse now. As when you look back last decade or 2 it does generally seem to be same teams winning with other having no chance.

I've always supported a team (that'll never win again) not a driver so it's just gotten to the point for me I'll watch the good races out of nostalgia.

But overall, yeah, f1 isn't that exciting. Especially on track.

Last edited:
Associate
Its much less interesting than it used to be. I wouldn't pay for it now.
And I only watch full replays of I hear it's good. Mostly highlights are fine.

Not sure if it's just "getting older" or it's actually worse now. As when you look back last decade or 2 it does generally seem to be same teams winning with other having no chance.

I've always supported a team (that'll never win again) not a driver so it's just gotten to the point for me I'll watch the good races out of nostalgia.

But overall, yeah, f1 isn't that exciting. Especially on track.

I think the cost cap has had quite a big negative impact on the sport overall, making issues where they shouldn't of ever been because teams can't innovate enough to 'solutionise' to separate themselves and I also think that the quality of the drivers overall is lower than what there has been previously

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think the cost cap has had quite a big negative impact on the sport overall, making issues where they shouldn't of ever been because teams can't innovate enough to 'solutionise' to separate themselves and I also think that the quality of the drivers overall is lower than what there has been previously
Not sure

Without poor teams can't really get a chance. Although it hasn't really changed that

Caporegime

Agree on the first; strongly disagree on the second. I can't think of a time that F1 had such a spread of talent, and while they're a couple of drivers who aren't impressing I don't think there's anyone on the level of some of the paying potatoes that have stunk up the grid in years past - although that's mostly down to the license system. Plus, since driver salaries are outside the cap anyway, I'm not sure it's particularly relevant to driver quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom