Poll: Official 2024 Japanese Grand Prix Race Thread - International Racing Course, Suzuka - Race 4/24

Rate the Japan race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
:confused: How was he very average this time?
Because out of the last two and a bit years his either finished mostly half a minute behind max or worse, fighting with Ferrari /merc /Aston Martin etc.

His poor. He almost blew finishing 2nd overall last season...

Ffs Hamilton almost caught him in that crap car his driving...

Sorry mate but perez is a poor to average driver.

The likes of norris leclerc, alonso would be right up max tail end in most races.

Perez only finished 10 seconds behind max because max literally did half the race on maximum 5th gear only to preserve the car and engine and chill.

Max thinking more about his up and coming iracing race he has because that's more challenging then perez driving the same car as him...

Soldato
Not sure if it's just "getting older" or it's actually worse now. As when you look back last decade or 2 it does generally seem to be same teams winning with other having no chance.
I'd say it's definitely much worse now. Rule changes have made the cars too big and heavy and they sound terrible. They aren't exciting machines anymore (despite being great pieces of engineering).
I've watched F1 since around 1995, but it was 1999/2000 that I super got in to it. Remember the old ITV-F1 forum, and then joining a couple of other F1 boards.
There were things to talk about nearly every day during the season, because there were always so many tests. It wasn't just rumour-mill gossip style stories that seem to be the only thing "journalists" can do these days.
I wouldn't even say the racing was always better. There were plenty of races in early 2000's that would be processions (Jarno Trulli would make sure of it). The extreme tyre saving of the one tyre set per race dark ages...

I''m not a Max fan, but I also have nothing against him at all. I don't mind Red Bull winning either. Down the field it seems a bit more interesting, but the show as a whole is just pretty dull. Maybe it's a marketing thing, but definitely feels like the drivers have less personality to them. Looking at the poll results, it's clearly time for others to just stop watching and maybe play F1 on the PS5 instead. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing I realised is that reliability is so good now that it minimises the amount of surprises.

We also have an issue where the schedule is actively avoiding bad weather because wet tyres just don't work on these cars. Remember when we had races in the rain with a certain German driver gaining the nickname 'Rain King' because of how good he was in the wet? Now we can't even start a race if there's a drop of water on the track.

I love F1 but it makes me laugh that it's consider the 'pinnacle of motorsport' becuase in its current state its far from it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One thing I realised is that reliability is so good now that it minimises the amount of surprises.

We also have an issue where the schedule is actively avoiding bad weather because wet tyres just don't work on these cars. Remember when we had races in the rain with a certain German driver gaining the nickname 'Rain King' because of how good he was in the wet? Now we can't even start a race if there's a drop of water on the track.

I love F1 but it makes me laugh that it's consider the 'pinnacle of motorsport' becuase in its current state its far from it.

What annoys me is that it seemingly hasn't stopped raining in this country so far this year, yet there has not been one wet race yet. I bet once the calender gets to Europe there will be a drought. :p

Soldato

That's not strictly a accurate statement, as there has been times when they've started a race under wet conditions, just not in a monsoon. Thus I think it is correct to avoid a time of year when the weather, aka typhoon season, would make it no point in turning up. I do not think it is in any way a decision made sorely based upon the tyres.

The weather patterns have also changed across the world and rain seems to be falling far harder over a shorter periods of time than in the past, hence why we are seeing more reports of flooding across the world and in the UK. https://www.formulanerds.com/news/w...this-season-in-f1-at-the-canadian-grand-prix/
The first priority in assessing any wet race should always be safely for the drivers, all the support staff and track marshals and nothing else should dictate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom