**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

I am going for a Prime Gauss Minigun, just need another day or two because of the 400 bullion limit. I got everything I needed for the SS armour now, its pretty good my damage resistance is up to 427.

I've read the prime Gatling Plasma is better but meh, using that now as I had 46 spare Plasma cores (yeah I know) and it's not very accurate at range.

I wish they would up the vendor limits, I could EASILY do 4 times the amount a day in caps and legendary scrip. I've got to the point now where I will only pick up 3 star legendaries, and have had to stop picking them up all together now as I already have a good 2-3 days worth banked.
So you don't recommend the gatling plasma? I am also thinking of working towards getting a PA setup (got two pieces of overeaters Hellcat atm) and a heavy gun but can't decide which.

I also find myself playing less than I would due to the vendor limits. I hit the caps limit and get about halfway through the scrip limit straight after logging on by selling stuff from my previous session, and then once I've knocked off all the tasks and my stash and inventory are full I feel kind of pushed to stop until the limits reset.

Soldato
So you don't recommend the gatling plasma? I am also thinking of working towards getting a PA setup (got two pieces of overeaters Hellcat atm) and a heavy gun but can't decide which.

I also find myself playing less than I would due to the vendor limits. I hit the caps limit and get about halfway through the scrip limit straight after logging on by selling stuff from my previous session, and then once I've knocked off all the tasks and my stash and inventory are full I feel kind of pushed to stop until the limits reset.

The gatling plasma is better DPS, you cant argue that one, so against anything other than long range its better. Some say its the best gun in the game, particularly with all the mods, perks and prime receiver.

But I think its damn ugly, and it "feels" inneficient becuase it misses a lot, maybe sniping the super mutants on the other side of eviction notice, you may get slightly better DPS with the gauss minigun at times, but overall the gatling plasma is better.

I dont have the gauss minigun yet but by going what I have seen, looks like more fun to use, and looks much better in my opinion.

By the way despite using these heavy weapons I still dont bother going power armour although I know that's not particularly efficient, I switch around a lot a use different weapons and ammo.

I have been looking up about enclave plasma rifles, they do slightly more damage and are more accurate then regular, but you cannot craft them, or learn the mods. You have to buy them from the enclave vendor, or they drop from a the dropped connection event, or you might get one fighting the guy at the end of the enclave research facility.

You cannot mod these easily, apparently the vendor bot in watoga can very rarely sell mods, but bascially you have to get lucky with the mods the gun comes with, which is random, and apparently if you get one with a reflex sight, stabilised stock and aligned auto barrel they are very rare and very valuable.

I managed to get one with a flamer mod today, which apparently is also quite sought after.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE
Thanks for the detail. TBH, the gatling plasma sounds like it would be a bit annoying for me too. I've always had at least half an eye towards efficiency with my setups.

Now thinking maybe a .50 cal paired with a plain gatling for when I need to hop into PA. Still got quite a way to go to get allied with Crater for the gauss mini.

For PA, I'm probably going to go with X-01 once I have my weapons as that seems the easiest to get plans and mods for.

I got the Slug Buster from the heist quest, which is a different unique flamer. Not quite as much damage as the Enclave, but nearly I think, and it doesn't need anything other than standard modding. It does melt enemies from my brief tests with it, but I don't have many plasma cartridges at the moment and I keep forgetting to bring it with me to ops and things.

Revenge on that damned daily ops assaultron is probably more than 50% of my in-game motivation right now, so I am itching to try a few high fire-rate, high DPS options and to get tanky. :)

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

I'm just keeping an eye out for that enclave plasma as lets face it, what else you gonna do?

I got the Gauss Minigun this morning, good fun, and luckily managed to roll a 3 star with junkies legendary although the other 2 effects are useless, but I'll take that for now.

Frustraitingly I didn't have enough to buy the prime receiver, have to wait until I am back on Sunday for that.

I managed to pick up a Junkies Explosive..... Radium rifle........argh! Such a shame as those 2 for my character are very strong effects as effectively +70% dmg, had it been a decent weapon that is like a lottery win, but I think the Radium rifle is a bit meh.

The vendor seemed to have double caps this morning, so it may be a double caps weekend?

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

I'm just keeping an eye out for that enclave plasma as lets face it, what else you gonna do?
Ha, yeah that's true! I might as well do the same, actually.

I finally tried my AA Railway gun in the supermutant uplink op, and geez, that thing shreds! It has totally made me rethink needing a heavy weapon option, in fact. PA commando might be the way. Want a quad one now, but ran out of nuclear material crafting them only to roll loads of nocturnal, gourmands, anti-animal effects. Bah! Now that's another grind for me to figure out. I've not had to look specifically for nuclear material yet.

How much does the gauss mini eat ammo, btw?

As for drops - I have never had a legendary weapon drop from a mob that I actually wanted to use.

I went for aristorcrats rather than junkies on my build since it feels easy to stay over 29,000 caps anway and I don't need to deal with addiction side effects that way. In fact, I keep having to find things to buy to get back under the caps limit. Went and bought X-01 mods from Modus yesterday to shed several thousand caps and was still back at around 35,000 by the end of the session. The double caps did help that.

Last edited:
Soldato
@strumpusplunket

Yeah the Gauss Mini eats through ammo, but its easy enough to make, particuarly the ultracite ammo, I have enough materials to make about 30k rounds, reckon it'd take a couple of hours to get the materials again after.

On the subject of Railway rifles I hit the lottery, Junkies Explosive Lightweight Railway Rifle! Only thing now is I need to make and scrap a TON of then to get all of the mods as I hardly have any. Then I will give it a spin, just still got about 6k worth of .50 cal rounds I need to use up first as well.

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

On the subject of Railway rifles I hit the lottery, Junkies Explosive Lightweight Railway Rifle! Only thing now is I need to make and scrap a TON of then to get all of the mods as I hardly have any. Then I will give it a spin, just still got about 6k worth of .50 cal rounds I need to use up first as well.

I did get an AA-damage while aiming-breaks slower one, which is pretty good. But the second star is a complete waste. You want the long barrel in order to have reasonable range, but then if you try to aim without VATS you're (actually, litterally) staring at the ceiling after a two second burst! Just can't use it to aim manually, I've found. And I really want a quad one. I am convinced quad would have let me Elder the uplink I missed by 28 seconds yesterday. The clip goes too quickly and the reload is a bit on the slow side. I reckon Quad-Explosive or VATS crit-Faster Reload or Less VATs cost would be ideal for me.

I don't think the RR has that many mods compared to other weapons, and I certainly had to make and scrap fewer of them than others (soooo many gauss rifles and handmades before I got the suppressors!!).

All my 5mm ammo (and missiles, .44, cannonballs, etc.) go into the ammo converter. I've got almost 20000 credits in there at the moment for when I run low on something I need.

Kinda itching to go all choo-choo on some enemies again later tonight :)

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

Tested the Gauss Mini out just now with the prime receiver.

It's good fun, I've been using a .50cal HMG for 20k worth of rounds and compared to that is more damage and far more accurate.

But spin up and down is a thing...you need to watch the spin down as well because it blocks you from using a stimpack.

It's like a cooler more fun, but not as good version of the Gatling Plasma.

I'm glad I got it, and I'll put maybe 10k rounds through it, but I'll keep rotating around like I do.

Soldato
@strumpusplunket

Tested the Gauss Mini out just now with the prime receiver.

It's good fun, I've been using a .50cal HMG for 20k worth of rounds and compared to that is more damage and far more accurate.

But spin up and down is a thing...you need to watch the spin down as well because it blocks you from using a stimpack.

It's like a cooler more fun, but not as good version of the Gatling Plasma.

I'm glad I got it, and I'll put maybe 10k rounds through it, but I'll keep rotating around like I do.
Oh, cool. I am keeping on the trek to getting allied with Crater, but only halfway through the Neighbourly tier now (I kept the bullion from the heist, so I got my SS chest and jetpack early, but missed out on a chunk of rep). Planning to spend my bullion stockpile on the Gauss Mini once I get there...

I had a good gatling plasma (Aristocrat's, +25% damage while aiming, DR while aiming) drop from Eviction Notice the other day, so with that and the .50 cal from Beckett's quest I might be set for a foray into heavy weaponry. Got my X-01 suit built too and just need to roll legendaries on it.

I had heard something about the stimpack issue with the minigun spindown, but wasn't sure how much of an issue it was. I guess that's why heavy spinup users often take medic pump on their PA?

So, is the gat plasma your favourite out of those heavies? Or the most effective, perhaps?

On another note, I also finally (after I guess 15, 16 rolls) got a Quad Railway! With faster fire rate, too. It absoluetly shreds, and the only drawback was that in the reflective daily op I kept killing myself because with gun fu and the auto fire speed it was killing and switching enemies so quickly I couldn't see which ones had the reflection active until I'd already hit them with enough damage to kill myself!

Last edited:
Soldato
So, is the gat plasma your favourite out of those heavies? Or the most effective, perhaps?

Most effective, not favourite though.

To be honest I'm going away from heavy weapons, it needs power armour really, one of the heavy perks for ignoring armour (I can't remember what it's called but heavy version of tank killer) only works in power armour. If you are going power armour then they will work a lot better.

I'm enjoying the plasma rifle/flamer combo, so you have your long range barrel and flamer barrel and just switch between guns as appropriate. The plasma flamer absolutely melts ****, and I don't even have one with a good roll.

The frustrating thing is the flamer mod uses rifleman, so your long range one can't be an auto barrel which is a little annoying. But it saves on ammo and fun.

Associate
So, im thinking of buying this game as quite like the fallout games and hear its MUCH better than when it launched, without going through the entire thread could people tell me what they think of this please

Is there still a big player base? is community nice or volatile? all feedback welcome to help me make up my mind lol

Soldato
Most effective, not favourite though.

To be honest I'm going away from heavy weapons, it needs power armour really, one of the heavy perks for ignoring armour (I can't remember what it's called but heavy version of tank killer) only works in power armour. If you are going power armour then they will work a lot better.

I'm enjoying the plasma rifle/flamer combo, so you have your long range barrel and flamer barrel and just switch between guns as appropriate. The plasma flamer absolutely melts ****, and I don't even have one with a good roll.

The frustrating thing is the flamer mod uses rifleman, so your long range one can't be an auto barrel which is a little annoying. But it saves on ammo and fun.

Man, I really need to remember to take my plasma flamer out of storage more often! I've found myself leaving commando cards in my slots more often than rifleman recently despite originally intending to stay as rifleman, so it will be good to get some variety on it.

I've still yet to try out power armour at level 263! Will give that a go soon, too.

So, im thinking of buying this game as quite like the fallout games and hear its MUCH better than when it launched, without going through the entire thread could people tell me what they think of this please

Is there still a big player base? is community nice or volatile? all feedback welcome to help me make up my mind lol

Well, there are a few questlines that you can play through pretty much like any other Fallout game. They're not massively long, and it can get a bit confusing as to what you're doing for which questline for a while. I think basically they all came out with different updates and now you get all these quests all at once in your "main" quest category.

There are also a fair amount of side quests you pick up in various places. These tend to be quite short. And then there are repeatable daily quests that you knock off whenever you want to for the rewards they offer.

The map is pretty big with some different areas, some built-up, some rural. You could play just like a SP Fallout, do the main quests and call it a day. It would be an okay game like that, not as good as the previous ones, but okay.

There is a nice variety of weapons and armour and perks you can swap around once you've earned them to change your build on the fly once you're high enough level. It's easy to get sucked into the loop of trying to ever better versions of weapons with the best mods like I have done, and tbh it can get a bit grindy like that. I am still hooked after well over 100 hours, but I can see why people would find it a bit aimless and too grindy once the questlines are done.

The community is, imho, one of the biggest positives of the game. By far the most pleasant and helpful player base I've ever encountered. The griefing I understand was widespread in the early days is very, very rare now, and you are vastly more likely to be helped by other players these days. Each sever only has around 20 players on the map at once, so it can feel a bit sparse, but you can pop into events when they come up with other players present, and there are always casual teams being formed, and players visit each others camps to shop and look around.

I think I've come across one player in my whole time who I thoguht was a bit rude (hit me with a cattleprod becuase I was taking too long browsing a player vendor. No damage, but a bit rude if you ask me :) ). Otherwise most people look after new players, drop them loot, craft them weapons, show them around. It's all really nice in general.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm thoroughly addicted to it, and I took a good break from last year, playing it more the second time around.

A bit of advice without spoiling it too much, I tried to "long out" the game as much as possible by avoiding the main quest lines and trying to do everything else on the side first, but in retrospect I think the game would have made a bit more sense going through those earlier.

I'm not saying rush through the main quest, but I proper longed it out and I regret it.

@strumpusplunket

I gave some thought to getting Fallout 1st, but I was away last weekend, away at the moment, and then away again for a week at the end of the month so won't get the benefit. I'll see how I feel when I'm back early June.

Associate
Thanks for input, think i will watch a few videos and have a little think about it, didnt know there were so little people on any one server, not that its a bad thing, i was just expecting more :)

Thanks again

Soldato
I'm thoroughly addicted to it, and I took a good break from last year, playing it more the second time around.

A bit of advice without spoiling it too much, I tried to "long out" the game as much as possible by avoiding the main quest lines and trying to do everything else on the side first, but in retrospect I think the game would have made a bit more sense going through those earlier.

I'm not saying rush through the main quest, but I proper longed it out and I regret it.

@strumpusplunket

I gave some thought to getting Fallout 1st, but I was away last weekend, away at the moment, and then away again for a week at the end of the month so won't get the benefit. I'll see how I feel when I'm back early June.

That's good advice. I did the same with one of the main questlines, and it didn't bring any benefit and then felt a bit weird completing it so much later.

I did cave and pick up 1st the other week. Mostly because I had run out of storage, which is a bad way to get trapped into it. But then I did get the base game for £6 and have well over 100 hours in it, so the cost to time ratio is still very good...

The scrapbox and ammo container are game changers. But they should be in the base game, let's be honest! The other benefits I've not really touched except for picking up the additional scoreboard rewards.

Thanks for input, think i will watch a few videos and have a little think about it, didnt know there were so little people on any one server, not that its a bad thing, i was just expecting more :)

Thanks again

I didn't realise either until I started playing. I guess it fits with the theme of the Fallout world. It's a desolate wasteland filled with mutants and other deadly fauna, and little pockets of humanity in small communities. Having a small scattering of other humans is more in line than a bit mass of people flocking everywhere, I guess. I think it kind of works. You see the odd other player at train stations and camps, and then 5-10 or at events depending on which ones they are (Rad Rumble, Moonshine Jamboree and the two boss events always draw a crowd), but not that often in the world at large.

The feel of this is okay, I think, and it makes it special enough that when higher level players see a lower level player out in the world, they usually wave and drop some useful supplies.

Soldato
Run the flux materials farming method again today, ended up with 101 high radation fluids and an excess of the other two which I sold/scrapped.

Then tomorrow will run a plant gathering session and that'll be me with enough ammo for a loooong time.

Soldato
Run the flux materials farming method again today, ended up with 101 high radation fluids and an excess of the other two which I sold/scrapped.

Then tomorrow will run a plant gathering session and that'll be me with enough ammo for a loooong time.
That's an amazing haul!

I still have to do this. The times I've been able to hop into the game have been taken up with ticking off the scoreboard tasks and daily quests recently, but when I get some extended time to potter around Appalachia, it is top of my list to nuke those locations in a private server.

Getting into a decent rhythm with daily ops now - stealth with gauss rifle, fixer and slug buster for decrypytion ops and quad railway and explosive handmade for uplink. Unless it's resilient or cloaked enemies and so long as it's not one of the huge labyrinth maps, I go into with the aim to get solo elder rank on most of them now. Been moving up the scoreboard nicely being able to tick off the daily ops tasks.

Soldato
I havent logged in for about 9 months now after hitting LVL900 and I kinda miss it.
You guys giving this thread a bump have just caused me to hit the download button on steam again to see if I can remember how how to everything. Pretty sure I've got more weapons and resources than I know what the hell to with :D

Soldato
I think this is what you call "a good haul".

20230519121056-1.jpg

Soldato
Also found a nice Enclave Plasma gun today.

Its an auto barrel with reflex, its not the aligned auto barrel mind you, so not the super rare one, but none the less pretty good and the best one I have found so far.

Only slightly anoying thing is the flamer uses Rifleman Perks (for some bizzare reason) so to swap out between the two you need to swap your perk cards over, which you can do reasonably quickly but not ideal. But might have to live with that as the auto version is FAR superior to the single shot short barrel version I have been using up until now.

Back
Top Bottom