Over-rated / terrible movies?

Soldato
Lost in Translation, we only lasted 30 minutes before it got turned off.
Unfortunately we saw this in the cinema with no preknowledge of the film.

We were trapped, mainly by the hope that it surely just get better and the not wanting to waste the ticket price.

E: Sticks in my mind as being one of the most awful films ever, so bad I've blanked it from my memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Last Jedi - without a doubt. If there a example of how to cripple a franchise, a story this is it. Created by idiots that didnt give a **** about the characters, the story or continuity of its predecessors. All down to Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson in particular.
Rian Johnson is such a flag waving ****... One of the few people I'd happily see getting a good beating (preferably by a horde of people wearing Luke Skywalker costumes)

Soldato
Been thinking about this and I reckon Blues Brothers must be up there, so many people saying it's epic yet I finally got round to watching it and thought what an absolute pile of crap, was so glad it ended, can't really remember much about it tbh as I think I pushed it outta my memory.

Also honourable mention must go to the many Oscar Best Picture winners, I usually find they are absolute tripe and tend to avoid them now.

Soldato
Been thinking about this and I reckon Blues Brothers must be up there, so many people saying it's epic yet I finally got round to watching it and thought what an absolute pile of crap, was so glad it ended, can't really remember much about it tbh as I think I pushed it outta my memory.

Also honourable mention must go to the many Oscar Best Picture winners, I usually find they are absolute tripe and tend to avoid them now.
I guess the issue there is tastes and styles move on. Blues Brothers was widely considered epic and cult during the 90's when I was growing up. I haven't watched it in a while but tastes change.

TV shows have changed in structure massively over the last 30 years. Compare Star Trek TNG to Deep Space 9 in only a few years spurred on by Babylon 5, two parters moved to multi episode arcs expanded to multi series arcs. Imagine writing a episode of the week show now without at least some common thread of development in the background. Movies have changed in nature too.

Soldato
The Last Jedi - without a doubt. If there a example of how to cripple a franchise, a story this is it. Created by idiots that didnt give a **** about the characters, the story or continuity of its predecessors. All down to Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson in particular.
Nail on the head. It's an absolute turd of a movie.

Rise of Skywalker wasn't really any better, but you had to forgive it a little as Ruin Johnson's film didn't really leave it anywhere sensible to go :p

Soldato

I think the first 2/3s of the Blues Brothers is well deserving of still being heralded as a cult classic but I always found the car chase scene overlong and kind of ruined the ending.

Back
Top Bottom