Retro Collectors

Soldato
Hello all

Since I have a “big” birthday this year I decided to chuck some money in on a collection. About 20 years ago I had a decent computer collection but got rid of most of it. I still have a few but I always found it a bit of a faff and the storage required is significant! So this time I thought I would focus on something smaller and probably less niche (there is a limited market for boxed Oric 1’s etc :D ) so decided on Nintendo handhelds. I started with Game and Watches but quickly realised they are fully in collector territory now (they must be getting on for 50 years old now) so after picking up 10 or so decided to pivot to Gameboys and the later DS‘s (I have fond memories of my own original gameboy and a top score of 450K ish on tetris IIRC I was a demon on it). I’ll post some pictures once I get a chance to take them all out from the various shelves and drawers to get some insurance photos (if that’s still a thing). So far though I have a couple of insights I thought I would share…

1 - it is worth getting a modded IPS version to actually use because eyes aren’t what the used to be. No wonder I need glasses now - it’s probably a direct consequence of squinting at these tiny screens for so long in my youth.
2 - the games are the Pandora’s box oh my god. I am going to focus on 3 areas (original GB lineup, Mario and Pokemon as they will always be the most popular) otherwise I’ll go bonkers.

So OCUK Retro Collectors, let’s hear what you are stashing and how you find it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok, so I am now awaiting delivery of every variant of the DS series, that was an effort. I am sure someone will tell me I missed one. If Zak (above) was offering to sell a full DS set I’ll be fuming.

The list:

Original DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL
2DS
2DS XL
3DS
3DS XL

Last edited:
Associate
Don't really collect although I have gone through phases with this stuff. I do have over 200 physical games of which virtually all are Nintendo; so DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch. I have a few loose original GB games.

I do have a soft spot for the DS though, fantastic machine with a great library. I currently own two DSi XLs - one still new in box. My 'main' was picked up circa 2010/11 on a trade in so is still going strong although some point soon I may need to look a new battery. Small collection of 60 or so DS games. A few rarer pieces but nothing major; Infinite Space, Radiant Historia with the OST and the Korg DS-10 release (such fun to play around with although I'm not a musician/creator). I did sell a couple of bits over the summer including Pokemon Typing which went for a reasonable price (I never used it so I was happy to let go).

I do also have 3DS XL and n3DS XL with some games. Again sold off a rarer 3DS game last year so again. Have a nice Japanese case for the 3DS which I got stung for on import duty back in the day.

XL variants of both seem to hold their prices, particularly nice examples.

Caporegime
Don't really collect although I have gone through phases with this stuff. I do have over 200 physical games of which virtually all are Nintendo; so DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and Switch. I have a few loose original GB games.

I do have a soft spot for the DS though, fantastic machine with a great library. I currently own two DSi XLs - one still new in box. My 'main' was picked up circa 2010/11 on a trade in so is still going strong although some point soon I may need to look a new battery. Small collection of 60 or so DS games. A few rarer pieces but nothing major; Infinite Space, Radiant Historia with the OST and the Korg DS-10 release (such fun to play around with although I'm not a musician/creator). I did sell a couple of bits over the summer including Pokemon Typing which went for a reasonable price (I never used it so I was happy to let go).

I do also have 3DS XL and n3DS XL with some games. Again sold off a rarer 3DS game last year so again. Have a nice Japanese case for the 3DS which I got stung for on import duty back in the day.

XL variants of both seem to hold their prices, particularly nice examples.

I have a New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition with the mini figure...quick google comes back with some bonkers numbers!

Associate
I have a New 3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition with the mini figure...quick google comes back with some bonkers numbers!
Yep.

My n3DS XL is the SNES one. New, although I have had it out apply screen protectors and charge it up every so often. but never played.

I did come close to buying that black and gold Zelda 3DS XL. With Majora's Mark I bought the CE but not the console.

I wouldn't mind picking up a 2DS XL and a quick look shows they aren't as bad prices as I remember.

Caporegime
Yep.

My n3DS XL is the SNES one. New, although I have had it out apply screen protectors and charge it up every so often. but never played.

I did come close to buying that black and gold Zelda 3DS XL. With Majora's Mark I bought the CE but not the console.

I wouldn't mind picking up a 2DS XL and a quick look shows they aren't as bad prices as I remember.

Ooo, I want that one lol it's like £3k ?

Associate
I thought the DSi XL was one of the best DS's. Had a lovely screen on it. I still have my Brown one (Which my little bro gave to me) which I still play to this day.

I also have a White, Black and Pink DS-Lite knocking around still. Daughter plays on the pink one.

Man of Honour
I've got shot of a lot of my stuff I had, a few original xboxes, a handful of n64s and a dreamcast. I still have a few SNES console bundles (yellowed to various degrees) and Gameboys that I should probably put on the MM at some point, thanks for the reminder!

Soldato
OP
OK so as I wait some arrivals for the DS "money shot" here's a compound image of what I have so far, minus games etc of course:

cGtvVqU.jpeg

Soldato
i have the ds lite, battery is not that good any more so looking to mod it to get a modern type of battery in it since all original ones and knockoffs cant be trusted in this day and age.

Soldato
OP
So, I only have a single DS Lite to arrive (ahem and maybe source some "new 3DS XL" and "old 2DS XL" :cry: ) but I think this is now enough. I've had the Vitrual Boy the longest, probably 15 years or so and I guess that was the inspiration (the Switch next to it is a brand new OLED Pokemon one I picked up on a gambled bid for £230).

I have a few games, but actually I cannot be faffed about it. There are so many ropey ones about and I've got an RG35XX which has all of them on anyway and a much better screen, battery etc. So I guess this is now a wrap?

wTPjtrM.jpeg

wTPjtrM.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom