Silo - By Hugh Howey - May 5th

Associate
So does the second book not follow on the same story? It’s a story from a different silo?

It's the same story but lots of the book is world building and back story. What I was referring to was that they changed the narrator for the audio books for some reason. Could be that most people like it better though, just my opinion!

How far through the books is the first series then?

Most of the way through the first book but there's some quite significant stuff that happens that hasn't been shown yet.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What I was referring to was that they changed the narrator for the audio books for some reason. Could be that most people like it better though, just my opinion!
Even looking at the first page of reviews on audible many agree with you.

It seems the 3rd book has the original narrator though. That's my summer holiday sorted!

Soldato
Just finished watching this last night and really enjoyed it. I thought Rebecca Ferguson did a stellar job with the character of Nichols, and Tim Robbins was excellent too. No idea what direction season 2 will take as they've left it really wide open.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably wrong but whatever...

I'm guessing that the nice looking hologram was originally just a mental health thing for initial residents that became a problem as people who grew up in the silos no longer understood why.

Soldato
Finished all 3 books. They have a tonne of content left to do just for book 2 (Shift alone)

I've recently started the books. What's mad is how the TV Show only really takes up half of the first book, well if you ignore how much they've changed it. I was struggling a little with the book as it was possibly too close to the TV show but now i'm past the half way point it's all completely new.

Soldato
What's the order of the books? I really enjoyed Silo but the ending left me with so, so many more questions.

Without spoiling too much. Do the books ever go into what life is like in the other Silos? Are the cultures of all the silos the same and have they all had their memories wiped?

Soldato
What's the order of the books? I really enjoyed Silo but the ending left me with so, so many more questions.

Without spoiling too much. Do the books ever go into what life is like in the other Silos? Are the cultures of all the silos the same and have they all had their memories wiped?

Half the 2nd book is based on the origin
Be of the silos. I don’t want to say more than that.

Caporegime
I'm halfway through the first book which has got me to the end of the first series. I can see now why people who read the books would be disappointed with the show pacing. So much filler compared to the book. Really enjoying the book.

Man of Honour
Having read the synopsis, probably not a good idea, on the books I'm not sure a subsequent series could hold my attention unless they deviated quite a bit from the books.

Soldato
Finished this the other week and want to read back through the thread, however - are there any subsequent book spoilers not in tags I need to be aware of before I do so?

As for the show, will add what I posted in the TV thread

1 episode to go, still engrossed, there was a single ropey episode half way through that gave me multiple eye rolls but the rest of the show has more than made up for it.

Episode in question
Sheriff picks lock with a quick wiggle from pin off badge, sheriff gets involved with poor foot chase that has some questionable action, Super Sims bad guy throws his colleague off the railing, may as well have had flashing lights behind victim stating 'this guy is going to die' - whole episode was amateur hour
Felt like they had some 1st day intern writing the episode that day.

If I had to pick one thing that consistently irks me, how does Common keep getting roles, he's got the acting range of a Mr Men book.

Finished Silo, think it's one of the standout shows of the year - i've already mentioned my grumbles but I can't really fault much of it outside of that, I eagerly await new seasons - would give it an 8/10.

Credit has to go to Rebecca Ferguson though, she's a remarkable actress, thinking across her roles in quite a few films/TV now, she's very versatile, hasn't suffered any type casting and has been totally convincing in any role she's done. She might not be too bad on the eyes either.

Soldato
Been watching this the last few evenings. Got Ep 9 and 10 to finish up tonight.

Hoping there is some sort of reveal what it's really all about - is it a simulation, a Dark City type environment on a spaceship or a genuine Logan's Run/City Of Ember underground confined dwelling. Also hoping we at least get to see what's on the surface after all the build up. Desperately trying to avoid spoilers!

Sounds like the books are well worth a read too, will check the charity shops and Waterstones when next in town or failing that the Rainforest.

Been watching this the last few evenings. Got Ep 9 and 10 to finish up tonight.

Hoping there is some sort of reveal what it's really all about - is it a simulation, a Dark City type environment on a spaceship or a genuine Logan's Run/City Of Ember underground confined dwelling. Also hoping we at least get to see what's on the surface after all the build up. Desperately trying to avoid spoilers!

Sounds like the books are well worth a read too, will check the charity shops and Waterstones when next in town or failing that the Rainforest.

I'm struggling with Wool, it hasn't gripped me. I did however love the way the series ended, and can't wait for more.

Back
Top Bottom