Sky Stream - Launches *NOW* (post #1 for pricing / page #5 for pics)

Associate
So with this one month free trial - if you don't take them up on any of the additional offers (£22 for Sports as an example) but want to start using them after the trial ends, do you still get the same prices or is it purely a one time thing?

Soldato
I ended up cancelling Sky Stream yesterday. I really liked it and if I had more money I would have kept it but £72 a month is just way too much for me. That money will now be going straight into my savings account.

It'll be interesting to see if Sky call me and offer a better deal though.

Soldato
I ended up cancelling Sky Stream yesterday. I really liked it and if I had more money I would have kept it but £72 a month is just way too much for me. That money will now be going straight into my savings account.

It'll be interesting to see if Sky call me and offer a better deal though.

What was included at that price.

Soldato
OP
I am questioning if we are getting our moneys worth. Love the interface, but it's a lot of money.

Heard rumours about a new freeview system coming soon which runs off broadband, so that might do us.

Freely (crap name)

Last edited:
Soldato
I am questioning if we are getting our moneys worth. Love the interface, but it's a lot of money.

Heard rumours about a new freeview system coming soon which runs off broadband, so that might do us.

Freely (crap name)

Thats well overdue, but it is good news nevertheless.

Associate
My Sky contract finishes in January, I'm undecided, this possibly would be an easier solution if it weren't for the cost. Having a 900Mb/Sec internet connection seems like an ideal thing to make it worthwhile. I live next to a park and it is often annoying calling the town council to get them to cut the hedge that blocks the Sky dish.

Associate
Placed my order yesterday. Sky list delivery as Monday if ordered before 3pm on Sunday so disappointed that it’s not coming until Tuesday.

Anyway went with the entertainment, Netflix premium, cinema, uhd and ad skipping.

Got the £22 rolling deal, £10 cinema, £4 uhd, £5 ad skip and £8 premium Netflix. That came to £49 but called sky up and said I wanted to cancel the order before dispatch, and they did a 50% offer on the sky ultimate so all in for the above is £41.50.

The 50% was based on the normal price of £29 (£14.50) as opposed to the original £22 offer signed up for.

Will see how it is for a month and go from there.

I’ve got now tv but actually avoid watching it when possible due to a lack of 4k, Dolby vision and atmos.

Associate
I’ve called sky and cancelled stream after having used it for a few days.

Whilst some feel sky is priced high, I found the value to be fair. I had half price sky ultimate (£14.50 down from £29), cinema £8, uhd £4 and ad skipping for 5. But that would have saved me the 7 quid I pay for paramount, and halved my Netflix premium subscription so a £15 saving would have meant sky was costing me £24 for entertainment and cinema which is decent. Higher than now but a step up in interface and image quality.

I love the theory of stream, having everything integrated from other apps, Netflix, Disney etc and live tv is great. The image quality on uhd content is very good and a step up from Now but that’s where the positives end for me.

Coming from an Apple TV 4K I find the scrolling very jittery, apps are not stored locally on the puck so if you access prime video, or Apple+ from within stream it feels like everything’s running at about 20fps when you scroll through the menus.

On the Apple TV it feels silky smooth.

The other issue was regular freezing which required a power off at the mains.

For me stream is fantastic software held back by terrible hardware. It honestly feels like a knock off android box.

So I’m back to the Apple TV and scrolling feels great, but I do miss the integration stream had and access to the live tv instantly as opposed to opening separate apps and having to click through.

I’ll revisit stream when the hardware gets better…..

Last edited:
Soldato
Got this the other day and so far think is it's good.

One major issue though, the remote volume buttons skip volume up or down by 2 or 3 all the time. I've just got a replacement remote and the same thing is happening...?

Is this a bad batch of remotes or just crap hardware? Any fix?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
I'm now looking to change to Sky Stream, after Sky put up the prices for using a dish considerably it's time to see what offers are available.

Soldato
OP
@ChocAndGray 100% agree

I think the sky system is actually very good, but the hardware is beyond crap. We have four boxes, two of them broke and all remotes have failed.
The software is very buggy, and when the system does work it's slow because I assume it's running on a cheap soc with very little ram.

Soldato
@ChocAndGray 100% agree

I think the sky system is actually very good, but the hardware is beyond crap. We have four boxes, two of them broke and all remotes have failed.
The software is very buggy, and when the system does work it's slow because I assume it's running on a cheap soc with very little ram.
I’ve not experienced a huge amount of bugs. Occasional one every now and again.

Soldato
It used to be bad on stream but the last update solved most things. A reboot every now and again is worth doing though.

Back
Top Bottom