The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
I bought the Keter Unity XL last September on Amazon for £130

keter xl

its ideal for an outdoor kitchen, made quite the difference. As with all outdoor kitchen- stuff wait till the last couple of weeks in September to buy it!
I was originally going for that one but the Karu 12 would have to be sideways or at a weird angle, it's not deep enough for it to sit front facing. Like this:

ooni.png

Associate
Is there any reason you need it front facing? I've found it more practical to have it sideways and prepare directly in front of it.

For it to be sideways the table would have to be a good 15 inches wider at least

Soldato
Is there any reason you need it front facing? I've found it more practical to have it sideways and prepare directly in front of it.

For it to be sideways the table would have to be a good 15 inches wider at least
I mean like this:

Screenshot-2023-07-04-144827.png

It doesn't have to be as deep as that, just enough that the front of the oven is facing that way, rather than sideways.

Our BBQ will sit to the right of the table, so positioning the oven in that way will allow more room on the table for prep.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did a stupid thing and even that's an understatement. I was rushing while cooking and put the door on our artificial grass while turning a pizza. This is what it looked like immediately after:

before.jpg

The grass melted onto the door. It also left a nice outline of the door on the grass.

It's all on the underside of the door and not the side facing the pizza stone.

I waited for it to cool and then spent an hour or so going at it with various objects:

after.jpg

Significantly better but scratched up in the process (the front facing bit is fine fortunately).

I'm going to give it another once over with a fine brillo pad to catch all the remaining bits of residue.

I don't suppose anyone knows about the potential health risks of artificial grass on the door of a pizza oven? :rolleyes:

Associate
Cant see it affecting the pizza's too much, sorting the grass out will be a bigger problem. Can you repair artificial grass or have to have it redone?

Soldato
Parmesan Reggiano : Doing pizzas this evening & exceptionally have some of this around -
Would you grate it or try and roughly chop in bigger shards ?
put it on exclusively after cooking, or, even bury it beneath the tomato topping, so it is warmed up, but doesn't burn - as I suspect a dry cheese like this might, if put it on the top alone.(no moz)

(using old sourdough strarter which I use for bread and pizza, prepared poolish yesterday and will put into bread machine later, for dough )

Caporegime
Parmesan Reggiano : Doing pizzas this evening & exceptionally have some of this around -
Would you grate it or try and roughly chop in bigger shards ?
put it on exclusively after cooking, or, even bury it beneath the tomato topping, so it is warmed up, but doesn't burn - as I suspect a dry cheese like this might, if put it on the top alone.(no moz)

(using old sourdough strarter which I use for bread and pizza, prepared poolish yesterday and will put into bread machine later, for dough )
Personally I grate it but very coarsely, as I find I can taste it more this way. If I use it, I also put it on top after cooking.

As ever the correct way is whatever you like best though.

Soldato
Definitely coarsely grated or even very finely shaved shards.

Finely grated is only good if you’re sprinkling it on pasta or bolognese sauce.

Personally I grate it but very coarsely, as I find I can taste it more this way. If I use it, I also put it on top after cooking.

unexpectedly turned out to be a young parmesan (there was a job lot on yellow sticker) so I could slice it thinly with a knife, fingernail size - previous stuff I've had was hard as nails
added some directly onto rolled dough and above tomatoe sauce and it melted somewhat/didn't burn and wasn't too over powering - pretty good alternative to moz.

Associate
Anyone got a go to dough recipe for Pizza in Teglia / Roman Pizza? Looking to try something other than a Neapolitan style pizza in the upcoming months as the weather makes outdoor pizzas more difficult.

Associate
Anyone got a go to dough recipe for Pizza in Teglia / Roman Pizza? Looking to try something other than a Neapolitan style pizza in the upcoming months as the weather makes outdoor pizzas more difficult.
I would also like to try a different recipe for my dough

Associate
I would also like to try a different recipe for my dough

My searches so far have led to these:

Trying to post here so we have a go to for UK available flour and perhaps a decent dish to make it in that fits in a conventional gas or fan assisted oven.

Associate
Is anyone in their right mind to consider the The Sage Smart Oven Pizzaiolo or Ooni Volt electric pizza ovens over their gas or pellet counterparts?
Keep being drawn to these due to potential all year usage and indoor use.
Anyone considered or got one?

Soldato
Is anyone in their right mind to consider the The Sage Smart Oven Pizzaiolo or Ooni Volt electric pizza ovens over their gas or pellet counterparts?
Keep being drawn to these due to potential all year usage and indoor use.
Anyone considered or got one?
I will 100% replace my gas one with an electric one when it dies. I wouldn't need bottled gas at all then, and can use it inside safely.

Back
Top Bottom