The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
That your venture or you mean you just buy by the slice and bypassing any pizza oven at home?!
Its one of my businesses.

The mrs bought me the ooni for my birthday 2 years ago.......I opened Crave-Pizza in July, Still make Pizza at home as we dont do Neapolitan at Crave
She needs to be careful what she buys me in future.....lol

Associate

The mrs bought me the ooni for my birthday 2 years ago.......I opened Crave-Pizza in July, Still make Pizza at home as we dont do Neapolitan at Crave

Good on you to turn the hobby into a business. This has always been a pipe dream of mine and looked into the various alternatives to Neapolitan but never had the guts to take it any further.
Would have ordered if was local to me!

Your Crave ovens are obviously different and more commercial to the ones discussed here but did see a couple of local chaps run 2 x Roccbox for events and in their premises run a row of them in their pop up shop.

Soldato
Ultimately want the Dome and make it the main garden thing but being realistic and giving the smaller options a go first before jump deep end to actually make the dough and the whole process.

Yeah. When we've finished our house the plan is to have a decent outdoor kitchen with a decent outdoor oven and i think the Dome will be awesome (unless i try and build my own), but it's likely 12-15 months till it's built so an Ooni works till then. On that basis i've just bought the Fyra at €245. I reckon even after 12 months i could recover a decent chunk of the spend.
Do have some slight doubts as to whether i should've added the cover though.

I've got my general pizza game to a decent point. The thing that really amplified it was actually a stand mixer from Lidl. Just mixes the dough so much better than i used to do by hand and gives a brilliant taste.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not quite that close, but over Chorley way so only half an hour away
Hopefully Sefton council will have the Pier open in time...

I've another place Next door and we have have a couple of customers that come from Bolton just for our Breakfasts....

Last edited:
Soldato

Do you work on there I'll pop in for a slice. Any OCUK discount?

Soldato
Do you work on there I'll pop in for a slice. Any OCUK discount?
I'm there quite often, There now. But I dont actively work there. Although I'm the general dogs body fixing things the staff break on a regular basis.

OCUK discount 2 slices for £5 or a slice and a Beer £5
Or any 14" Pizza and 2 Buds for £15

Thinking of doing a all you can eat challenge
£20 and 2 hours. How many slices can you eat, With a leaderboard etc....

Soldato
I'm there quite often, There now. But I dont actively work there. Although I'm the general dogs body fixing things the staff break on a regular basis.

OCUK discount 2 slices for £5 or a slice and a Beer £5
Or any 14" Pizza and 2 Buds for £15

Thinking of doing a all you can eat challenge
£20 and 2 hours. How many slices can you eat, With a leaderboard etc....
I'll definitely come and grab a slice. I'll ask for Matt if I remember. Think we're in Southport on the 2nd December.

Associate
Just ordered the Volt. £639 from John Lewis but through work I can buy John Lewis gift cards with discount so it worked out at £611. I do have an outdoor Pizza oven I built but the Volt will be much easier in the winter and for smaller cooks.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe mattyg will say what ovens he has in Crave

had you looked at other electrics effeuno entry model N3 is ~£650 https://youtu.be/bv3qZxB0pc0?t=235 50minute warm up at 2.1Kw rating - still a lot of spondoolies though.

haven't done pizza for a month now - sourdough starter I would use has produced poorer bread loaves, which I think maybe ambient room temp for overnight poolish is not really high enough.

It had to happen eventually an interesting ch5 programme - last night article on a pizza school/marco fuso in London was showcasing a home electric oven 500C possible

Effeuno 2021 Facelift P134H 509 Pizza Napolitana Eng. Sub.​

High Tec Bosch series 8 oven vs Effeuno P134H Pizza Comparison - So do I really need a pizza oven???

Associate
maybe mattyg will say what ovens he has in Crave

had you looked at other electrics effeuno entry model N3 is ~£650 https://youtu.be/bv3qZxB0pc0?t=235 50minute warm up at 2.1Kw rating - still a lot of spondoolies though.

haven't done pizza for a month now - sourdough starter I would use has produced poorer bread loaves, which I think maybe ambient room temp for overnight poolish is not really high enough.

Not sure Detroit needs such high heat at Crave? It's more the Neapolitan style? Intrigued to know as couple of YouTube videos showed similar places using electric ones in the UK. Places like Fireaway use custom gas one's from Italy.

Back to the home user I had seen effeuno models in my research but was coming in close to a grand and wasn't sure on it being better than say the Koda or Karu. It's convenience is can be used all year around.

Ideally want to do mixture of Pizza styles with the investment and perhaps Tandoori style meats, fish, naans and roasted veg and food that's likes high heat.

Soldato
Effeeuno one can be used for baking bread too, or as a mini oven, so I think there's some versatility,
but if they just upped the insulation & temp on conventional ovens, or some segment of that market, it would meet the electric pizza demand.

Associate
Effeeuno one can be used for baking bread too, or as a mini oven, so I think there's some versatility,
but if they just upped the insulation & temp on conventional ovens, or some segment of that market, it would meet the electric pizza demand.

Looked at the Effeuno again today. It's a big investment and would need to find place in the kitchen or the garage and set-up a station to do the cooking next to it. It would be the same situation with the Volt or Breville option.

Part of me thinks work with the home oven and try my hand at Sicilian or Detroit style with some decent pans and a baking steel and do Neapolitan with par baking the base then do toppings.

Having the Roccbox outside or Ooni would be relegated to decent weather or get togethers.

Caporegime
Associate
Caved in and went with the Gozney Roccbox with the 20% off at the moment. If up my game in the future a Dome could always make an appearance in the garden.
Will use the indoor oven to do Sicilian or Detroit and invest in some decent pans to vary up the styles and learn the longer ferment techniques.

Anyone with a Roccbox recommend a pan to use for fish and chicken? Something like this lodge pan?

Back
Top Bottom