• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What back GPU/s do you have ?

Soldato
Guys what backup GPU's do you keep ?
(That if do keep any )

Am going back & forward if i should try sell an old GTX 1080 i have or keep it as a back up.

Last edited:
Soldato
A GeForce 7400GS (maybe, could be wrong). It can’t be far off 17 years old or so but it’s PCI-E and can help me eliminate GPU issues if that POSTs and any other GPU or iGPU doesn’t. It rattles round in a drawer with other dead GPUs and random tools and thermal paste. Still works.

Don’t see the point in keeping a backup of a higher performance GPU myself but depends on your circumstances.

Man of Honour
I always keep 1 GPU back, though the 3070 from my gaming PC went into the eGPU enclosure for my Legion Go when I upgraded to the 4080 Super and I've still got my 1070.

Soldato
OP
Think i also still have a 780ti in loft, But not sure if it still works as i had some problems with the system it was in at the time.

Only a few months ago i had a clear out and dumped two 8800gtx's and two GTX 275's plus i gave my mate my other 780ti

Last edited:
Associate
I've got two builds so a full backup i guess. But the old pcie cards are so cheap i probably wouldn't bother with a backup GPU as i don't use my computers for work or do enough gaming to be bothered about waiting a few days to get a new card.

Associate
A GTX 770 which a friend kindly gave me during the last mining boom / pandemic / gpu shortage when my 290x decided to die. I later "fixed" the 290x by bios flashing it to remove defective ram channels so I have that as well now.

Also have an iGPU these days as well, it was more of a selling point for me this time around after having an unusable PC when the 290x died.

It's nice to have a backup GPU which is somewhat capable (just relive some old gaming memories), but if you know you have the funds to afford something new should your current card die then really you just need something powerful enough to see you through an RMA or until you buy something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom