What’s the longest non-stop flight you’ve taken - distance or time?

Soldato
Heathrow to Accra Ghana on a Boeing 707 in the early sixties..

I cannot remember the flight time as I have lost my BOAC junior jet club handbook. I was about ten years old flying unaccompanied.

I did fly to east Africa at about three months old but I don't remember that one and I suspect the plane landed more than once for fuel.

I know I am a little younger than you but I still have my Junior Jet Club book, signed by the Captain no less. Hand written distance Tehran - Kuwait - London in 1977 :D

My 1979 flight on the same route was ahem, not via a commercial airline.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know I am a little younger than you but I still have my Junior Jet Club book, signed by the Captain no less. Hand written distance Tehran - Kuwait - London in 1977 :D

My 1979 flight on the same route was ahem, not via a commercial airline.

Did you get a tour of the flight deck? Maybe not in the late seventies, i was allowed to sit in the flight engineers seat briefly.

I am intrigued by the last statement. ;)

Associate
Longest flight - Sydney to Dubai on a Emirates A380. 14 hours I think.

Best flight - Barbados to BVI in the back of a A400M after it had been hit by a hurricane in 2017.

Soldato
I’m with you. I’m 6’1 and really don’t mind economy. Amsterdam to Tokyo would be the longest I’ve done, but economy is totally fine. You can watch some films, walk around a bit, relax, eat and drink. It’s really not that bad!
I have to disagree. Knees contantly on seat in front. No width. If window a pain to get up if aisle and fall asleep get whack by the trolley.

Associate
Flight from Joburg to LAX via Dubai.

8.5 hours in the air on leg 1
3 hours on the ground
16.5 hours in the air on the leg from Dubai to LAX. Far, far too long to sit in a plane in one go!

Soldato
Did Heathrow to Bangkok when I went to Sydney back in '98. Seem to remember the entire plane just wanted to sleep.
Can't say I enjoyed it.

What's that? 12hrs

Last edited:
Soldato
LHR to Santiago, Chile. 14.5 hours or so, was long, but just watched some films, had a sleep, drunk some champagne etc. Always fly long haul with BA using air miles, so long flights aren't such a painful chore.

Soldato
13 hours London to Hong Kong, then less than one hour stopover - then another 12 hours to Nadi (Fiji)

I've done this twice - 2010 and 2014, not sure I could handle it now in my mid 40's

Last edited:
Soldato
Used to do London to LA all the time 10-11 hours or so, the outbound was fine, but the redeye flight from LAX back to LHR starting at 8pm in the evening or whatever ******* sucked.

If I have to do it again, I’ll probably fork out for business on the return, because I just cannot stand sitting in economy through the night, as I can’t sleep sat down, I need to lay down.

1st world problems!

Back
Top Bottom