• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading from 8700k

Associate
I've had an 8700k system for about 6 years now. Just upgraded GPU to a 4080 from a 980, which was much needed.

Just wondering whether if it would be worth upgrading to the latest gen Intel, or waiting for the next Gen, which I believe is being accounted pretty soon?

Soldato
I've had an 8700k system for about 6 years now. Just upgraded GPU to a 4080 from a 980, which was much needed.

Just wondering whether if it would be worth upgrading to the latest gen Intel, or waiting for the next Gen, which I believe is being accounted pretty soon?

What do you use your pc for, and when gaming that resolution and refresh rate do you target?

Your CPU is absolutely holding you back for gaming, although that will diminish when going up in resolution.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What do you use your pc for, and when gaming that resolution and refresh rate do you target?

Your CPU is absolutely holding you back for gaming, although that will diminish when going up in resolution.
Completely forgot the most important part! I use it for work and gaming. I'm a system admin and work from home. 90% of my work is remoting onto servers and using webguis.
I've also just got a new monitor which is 3840x1440@175hz.

i recently went from a 8700k at 4.8ghz and 3070 to a 7800x3d and 4070ti super and its a pretty big upgrade...

I've never had an ATI CPU but certainly open to it if it fits my usage! How long ago did you move to the 7800?

Man of Honour
It all depends on whether you need the core count or not.
For gaming...Ryzen 7800x3d is king. However it is only a 8c16t CPU
If you need the core count for your VM then the better choice may be the 14700k. This has 8p+12e cores with 28 threads.

In gaming workloads then14700k loses to the 7800x3d, but the 14700k wins in productivity workloads.
However, going with the intel is going into a dead end platform with no realistic upgrades and also a more power hungry CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you need the core count for your VM then the better choice may be the 14700k. This has 8p+12e cores with 28 threads.

In gaming workloads then14700k loses to the 7800x3d, but the 14700k wins in productivity workloads.
However, going with the intel is going into a dead end platform with no realistic upgrades and also a more power hungry CPU.
I don't need the core count for work stuff, all our VMs are server side and I never need to spin any up at home.

I am not even in the loop when in comes to AMD CPUs. Do they allow a upgrade path with newer gens without needing to replace the motherboard?

Man of Honour
I don't need the core count for work stuff, all our VMs are server side and I never need to spin any up at home.

I am not even in the loop when in comes to AMD CPUs. Do they allow a upgrade path with newer gens without needing to replace the motherboard?
Yes. AM5 will be supported for another generation of CPUs or two.

Sounds like the 7800x3d is the chip to get then.

Soldato

The 7900X3D seems to have been getting discounts lately, might be a middle gound. If the OP is happy using his GPU on a 8700K even a 7800X3D would be a big difference even if not optimal for usage tbh.

As he's not upgraded in such a long time, maybe going for a 14700K is the best option, platform longevity aside it's probably the best general use CPU right now.

Edit: Just saw the earlier responses, I'd absolutely go 7800X3D.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The 7900X3D seems to have been getting discounts lately, might be a middle gound.
It really isn't. The 7900x3d is not as good a gaming chip as the 7950x3d. Basically a gimped 7600x3d with another 6 cores tacked on. Literally the worst of both worlds.

Soldato
It really isn't. The 7900x3d is not as good a gaming chip as the 7950x3d. Basically a gimped 7600x3d with another 6 cores tacked on. Literally the worst of both worlds.

I think there's an argument for how necessary the extra cores and cache are needed for gaming, but if the games can't differentiate between which have the extra cache it's going to be a bad time.

Not gonna lie, I cba to sit through a video right now. :cry:

Regardless, for the OP a 7800X3D seems to be the best bet given he seems to have remote access to VM's.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think there's an argument for how necessary the extra cores and cache are needed for gaming, but if the games can't differentiate between which have the extra cache it's going to be a bad time.

Not gonna lie, I cba to sit through a video right now. :cry:

Regardless, for the OP a 7800XT seems to be the best bet given he seems to have remote access to VM's.

VMs I remote onto using rdp or a webgui, that shouldn't make me need to move away from a more gaming based CPU for productivity? All the work is being done server side...

Soldato
Completely forgot the most important part! I use it for work and gaming. I'm a system admin and work from home. 90% of my work is remoting onto servers and using webguis.
I've also just got a new monitor which is 3840x1440@175hz.

Don't panic, you only need to think about your extra curricular activities as Sysadmin on and CPU is a breeze (as I am sure you are aware), given the RTX 4080 investment I'd look at least an AMD 7700, but preferably a 7800X3D, which have been as cheap as £305 recently so very good value. AM5 platform will be getting the new CPU's soon, probably Ryzen 9000 series, so if you wanted to get a 7600(X) then get a new 9000 series chip you could do that, and you'd still see a benefit over the 8700K. :)

Soldato
VMs I remote onto using rdp or a webgui, that shouldn't make me need to move away from a more gaming based CPU for productivity? All the work is being done server side...

Your computer is entirely gaming orientated is my point, while you do use it for work said work is offloaded onto external devices.

The 7800X3D is by far your best bet, probably the best gaming CPU right now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your computer is entirely gaming orientated is my point, while you do use it for work said work is offloaded onto external devices.

The 7800X3D is by far your best bet, probably the best gaming CPU right now.
Sorry, you said 7800XT on your previous reply, so I was assuming it was a middle ground CPU for work and gaming.

Soldato
Sorry, you said 7800XT on your previous reply, so I was assuming it was a middle ground CPU for work and gaming.
My apologies, I'm on my phone and it autocorrected, AMD has a painfully awful naming scheme which involves numbers that overlap with its CPU and GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom