• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading from 8700k

Man of Honour
+1 for the 7800X3D. If you're not doing anything other than gaming and general usage it's the best option.

If doing some productivity stuff then the 14700K is a great all rounder, but it has no real upgrade path.

It is a bit of an awkward situation really - the 7950X3D makes up for a lot of the areas the 7800X3D falls down outside of gaming, but it is significantly more expensive than the 14700K which has much better balanced performance than the 7800X3D. Though I have zero regrets buying the 14700K the mediocre PCI-e 5.0 support and limited upgrade path is a downside - albeit there are rumours Intel will be releasing another round of LGA1700 CPUs as well as 1800.

Soldato
Though I have zero regrets buying the 14700K the mediocre PCI-e 5.0 support and limited upgrade path is a downside - albeit there are rumours Intel will be releasing another round of LGA1700 CPUs as well as 1800.

I never really cared about if there a cpu upgrade past or not as I always needed a new motherboard by the time I upgrade due other missing features that a new motherboard normally brings

Associate
OP
I never really cared about if there a cpu upgrade past or not as I always needed a new motherboard by the time I upgrade due other missing features that a new motherboard normally brings
I'm kind of the same. I tend to try and get eek out my hardware as long as possible. But I just got a new 34" ultra wide 1440p and a 4080, feel like I've been missing out for my tightness for a long time. ill probably not leave it as long next time, and there is always a fair market for a few years old mobo/CPU combos.

Man of Honour

There has rarely been any consistency in the past anyhow, sometimes a company drops long term plans/promises, sometimes a new CPU comes out which renders everything before it obsolete and sometimes a platform gets an update it originally didn't look like it was getting, etc. likewise I tend to buy what works for me now and worry about upgrading later when the time comes, often just replacing the whole thing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom