• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading from 8700k

Associate
OP
My apologies, I'm on my phone and it autocorrected, AMD has a painfully awful naming scheme which involves numbers that overlap with its CPU and GPU's.

No problem! I don't know anything at all about ATI CPUs or their naming schemes, so I got a little confused!! I did notice their GPUs have similar names though, when I was deciding whether to move to ATI before getting the 4080.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Soldato
My apologies, I'm on my phone and it autocorrected, AMD has a painfully awful naming scheme which involves numbers that overlap with its CPU and GPU's.

AMD naming does my head in

You go on Ocuk and choose the AMD cpu drop down and you would expect the 8000 series at the top to be the fastest

Bt0oTlh.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder how many people have bought into that and ended up with something much slower without realising it?

Well given peoples inability to read these days I'd say quite a few, but they are clearly labelled as APU's on the OCUK page, and you be comparing the whole product name if looking at a previous version so a 5600G, 5700G etc. The only misleading naming IMO is the standard 5700 which is a 5700G sans the GPU, so that is totally daft.

Man of Honour
If they didn't realise that the CPU/Apu is slower then they probably didn't need such a fast CPU anyway :cry:
Not that I condone the slimy practice

Soldato
Moved from 8700k (and 9900k for short while) to 7800x3D. Lovely upgrade. I game mostly at 4k where even with a 3090 I am often GPU bound, but plenty of instances I saw the 1% low raised and some instances when not GPU bound the performance increase.

As others said, if AMD support the AM5 platform as long as they have the AM4 platform, then I think we will be onto a winner and should be able to slot a number of future CPU's into the socket as they improve. I too have always been Intel (just by virtue of being what was best at time of buying) until the 7800x3D and still use other Intel platforms in the house, but no issues recommending the swap.

Associate
+1 for the 7800X3D. If you're not doing anything other than gaming and general usage it's the best option.

If doing some productivity stuff then the 14700K is a great all rounder, but it has no real upgrade path.

Soldato
Well given peoples inability to read these days I'd say quite a few, but they are clearly labelled as APU's on the OCUK page, and you be comparing the whole product name if looking at a previous version so a 5600G, 5700G etc. The only misleading naming IMO is the standard 5700 which is a 5700G sans the GPU, so that is totally daft.

I thought AMD APU part was just the graphics processing unit part of a cpu like my intel K series cpu has so you can use the monitor outputs on a motherboard without needing a GPU card ?

Guessing am totally daft then :o:cry: as now am really confused and have no idea what these 8000 AMD APU CPU things are even for :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought AMD APU part was just the graphics processing unit part of a cpu like my intel K series cpu has so you can use the monitor outputs on a motherboard without needing a GPU card ?

Guessing am totally daft then :o:cry: as now am really confused and have no idea what these 8000 AMD APU CPU things are even for :confused:

Generally speaking, in order to fit the GPU portion on the chip you need to find more room to do so. In the case of the "G" series, this often results in the processor being reduced in some way. With the 5700G, it has half the L3 cache and only offers PCI-E 3.0 support over PCI-E 4.0. Some of the factors of cutting the chips down can result in weaker performance, considerably so in some applications. That's fine if you're buying a "G/APU" CPU for light tasks, but the 5700 when following the naming scheme AMD use implies that it's a cut down 5700X when in fact it's a 5700G without the GPU. I'm guessing AMD has a bunch where the GPU portion just flat out failed during manufacturing and decided to disable that portion and release them under a different name. Goes back to my earlier comment about AMD having horrendous naming schemes in general, although Intel have been just as guilty of it in the past. As far as I'm aware, the "5700" is the only part of its type, and hopefully the last unless AMD get their **** together and advertise it properly.

Speaking of Intel, the "K" segment used to mean that the CPU had an unlocked multiplier and could be easily/heavily overclocked. With the way current CPU's function that's not much of a thing anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Generally speaking, in order to fit the GPU portion on the chip you need to find more room to do so. In the case of the "G" series, this often results in the processor being reduced in some way. With the 5700G, it has half the L3 cache and only offers PCI-E 3.0 support over PCI-E 4.0. Some of the factors of cutting the chips down can result in weaker performance, considerably so in some applications. That's fine if you're buying a "G/APU" CPU for light tasks, but the 5700 when following the naming scheme AMD use implies that it's a cut down 5700X when in fact it's a 5700G without the GPU. I'm guessing AMD has a bunch where the GPU portion just flat out failed during manufacturing and decided to disable that portion and release them under a different name. Goes back to my earlier comment about AMD having horrendous naming schemes in general, although Intel have been just as guilty of it in the past. As far as I'm aware, the "5700" is the only part of its type, and hopefully the last unless AMD get their **** together and advertise it properly.

Speaking of Intel, the "K" segment used to mean that the CPU had an unlocked multiplier and could be easily/heavily overclocked. With the way current CPU's function that's not much of a thing anymore.

Associate
Sorry to hijack the post,but how does a Ryzen 5500 stack up against an 8700k? I could Google-fu but I'd rather hear it from here.

Soldato
Sorry to hijack the post,but how does a Ryzen 5500 stack up against an 8700k? I could Google-fu but I'd rather hear it from here.
It's not a change I would make, it's got less cache than a 5600. It's the sort of chip you get on a serious budget, I doubt it'd be much if any improvement over a 8700K. In fact I'd fully expect it to be worse in some tasks.

It might depend on the tasks, but even then I'd be doubtful. Unless it's free I'd forget about the idea entirely.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As gray says it's basically a failed 5600G with the igpu disabled. It is however a zen 3 part so performs above a ryzen 3600.
As a rough comparison I would probably guess it would just about outperform a stock 8700k.

If you're upgrading an am4 platform would get the 5600/x which would put it in the same performance tier as a 12400. Would not recommend the Ryzen 4500. 5500 only if absolutely desperate.

Last edited:
Soldato
As gray says it's basically a failed 5600G with the igpu disabled. It is however a zen 3 part so performs above a ryzen 3600.
As a rough comparison I would probably guess it would just about outperform a stock 8700k.

If you're upgrading an am4 platform would get the 5600/x which would put it in the same performance tier as a 12400. Would not recommend the Ryzen 4500. 5500 only if absolutely desperate.

There's a bunch of solid second hand AM4 bundles out there with the likes of a 5700X/5800X and a decent B550. That'd be my recommendation if needing to switch from a 8700K on a budget.

Otherwise the minimum consideration should be AM5 tbh, even entry level is going to kill it.

There were some great 7500F bundles not so long back for under £300 that offered the full platform, no idea how that looks now though.

Last edited:
Associate
I paid £90 for it brand new. My Sig is the PC I built,but it's been sitting there for months because I can't be arsed migrating all my stuff to it (I'm lazy) My current pc is a W3850,12gb ddr3,and a lot of HDDs. (X58 platform btw)

Last edited:
Soldato
I paid £90 for it brand new. My Sig is the PC I built,but it's been sitting there for months because I can't be arsed migrating all my stuff to it (I'm lazy) My current pc is a W3850,12gb ddr3,and a lot of HDDs. (X58 platform btw)

If you're on X58 a modern wet fart would probably be faster mate, in that case the 5500 is going to have a legitimate uplift.

X58 as a platform is well over a decade old.

Associate
If you're on X58 a modern wet fart would probably be faster mate, in that case the 5500 is going to have a legitimate uplift.

X58 as a platform is well over a decade old.
Wet fart lol. Yeah I know it's ancient. So how much faster will the 5500 be compared to the W3580? Looked it up months ago and I think I saw 150 percent uplift is that right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom