Air fryers

Caporegime
Slighty conundrum, Argos offers an instant duo crisp for £110 (bargain!)

But have seen some reviews re: the lid breaking on this one... not sure if it's an older model (might explain the price) but there's a very similar one with a different lid but also similar size and similar functions (inc sous vide) for £185:

Does anyone know what the key differences are there - is it just a newer model? Which do you have @aVdub ?

There's also this one from ninja at £150:

Cheaper than the newer(?) instant pot but doesn't have the sous vide setting.

Farm foods are doing 17L Daewoo halogen air fryers for £20. I bought a second as a spare

Note there are differences there, a halogen oven isn't really an "air fryer"(small version of a regular convection oven) and won't necessarily get the crispy results people rave about re: air fryers AFAIK.

I haven't costed up the price difference between a single "do everything" device and a separate air fryer and pressure cooker, but I do prefer the flexibility of having both (alongside a gas hob and occasional microwave use) to prepare and serve up various components of a meal at the same time.

I think having both a multi-cooker with an air fryer lid and a grill with an air fryer lid could be a good combo. The combi seems to have its place; cooking a chicken in the pressure cooker but also crisping it in that same pressure cooker using the air fryer lid at the end... meanwhile maybe you want some chips or roasties done in an air fryer too so you use the air fryer mode on the grill.

Or in reverse, cooking a steak or joint or something in the grill and then using the multicooker as your air fryer for the roasties or chips.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a first step that first one looks good.

Instant Pot Duo Crisp Ultimate 6.2L Air Fryer - Black​

I have the second one, but tbh would have bought the first one if available at the time.

But...................Would have added the 10-in-1 as well :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Slighty conundrum, Argos offers an instant duo crisp for £110 (bargain!)

But have seen some reviews re: the lid breaking on this one... not sure if it's an older model (might explain the price) but there's a very similar one with a different lid but also similar size and similar functions (inc sous vide) for £185:

This is odd, the silver one that was £185 at Argos has been reduced to £130 now... the £110 black one looks like a bargain though when compared with John Lewis... they're selling it for £220. Also, they have the large version (7.6 vs 5.7) of the silver one for £200... So is the black one actually a newer model? The prices are all over the place here, going by John Lewis you'd think it's the updated one but going by Argos the reverse...

AARf4tW.jpg
Hrv73yo.jpg

Either way, I've decided to go for it, ordered the black one.

Edit - the black one is the newer one - has an "ultimate lid" which doesn't need to be swapped out, unlike the older silver model... so Argos seems to have a bargain there!

Last edited:
Soldato
This is odd, the silver one that was £185 at Argos has been reduced to £130 now... the £110 black one looks like a bargain though when compared with John Lewis... they're selling it for £220. Also, they have the large version (7.6 vs 5.7) of the silver one for £200... So is the black one actually a newer model? The prices are all over the place here, going by John Lewis you'd think it's the updated one but going by Argos the reverse...

AARf4tW.jpg
Hrv73yo.jpg

Either way, I've decided to go for it, ordered the black one.

Edit - the black one is the newer one - has an "ultimate lid" which doesn't need to be swapped out, unlike the older silver model... so Argos seems to have a bargain there!

Good choice.

Don't get me wrong the 7.6l is a good machine, but that air fry lid is just too big.

Caporegime
looks like thats a £130 'deal' on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Dehydrate-Non-Stick-Dishwasher-EY901840/dp/B0CGJQSBQ7?th=1
pretty big physically - do they tell you how much electricity each draw uses ? if you just wanted a baked potato, say;
2.4Kw peak for both seems large, similar to a top oven.
But also much faster preheat (I rarely preheat but the manual says 2-3 minutes) and less time to cook too. You can cut 50% off total energy usage compared to an oven for the same food.

Associate
I found if you pre heat, food doesn't stick to the bottom plate as much.
A few times when doing bacon for example it has made a right mess sticking to the plate.
Only needs a couple of minutes so i bung it on at 180 when i remember.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got one of these? Went to look at the Ninja AF300 to check out the size of the drawers and this Tefal caught my eye.

Thinking of going for it over the ninja but interested to hear from anyone who either has one or could convince me to buy the ninja instead.
I got one for Xmas and I love it, use it most nights and it has cooked everything i throw at it perfectly. No idea if its better then a ninja but the two draws was handy for a chicken roast I did last week.

Associate
The Ninja Foodi max has been a fantastic investment, replaced the oven and hob for a more than a few meals each week. Worthy of the additional kitchen space imo.

Commissario
After having bought an Air Fryer two years ago and sent it back, I’m looking again.

What’s ‘the’ model to buy these days? Budget up to a couple of hundred if needed.

I had this one.

Soldato
For me it’s still hard to beat the ninja dual 451

AF451UK. I also have this model and it does seem good. At 9.5L and 2470 watts, larger and more powerful than:

After having bought an Air Fryer two years ago and sent it back, I’m looking again.

What’s ‘the’ model to buy these days? Budget up to a couple of hundred if needed.

I had this one.

What was it you didn't like about your first one?

Soldato
For me it is Ninja x3 and Instant Pot x1

Model wise I guess it is down to what you intend to use it for.

We use the probe for cooking large meats in the Foodi.
All in one meals and the like in the Speedi and the Duo as an extra for the larger meals that have extras and those that require different heats + time.

The Instant Pot is mostly for pressure cooking, sous vide and steam, with the air fryer not really used.

Last edited:
Commissario
AF451UK. I also have this model and it does seem good. At 9.5L and 2470 watts, larger and more powerful than:

What was it you didn't like about your first one?
At the time, the main thing was that it felt too small. I’ve been looking at what we put in the oven over the last few weeks and we’d definitely need something bigger than the one we had before.

2470 watts is on a par with the main oven. I thought a big positive point was energy saving?

Soldato
2470 watts is on a par with the main oven. I thought a big positive point was energy saving?

It does because you are heating a much smaller area, which will reach temp faster, or instantly and will cook quicker than a standard oven.

Size wise you can get a large Foodi that would probably accept a large chicken, our smaller Foodi accepts a medium and the Speedi accepts a large chicken*

* Based on supermarket standards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the time, the main thing was that it felt too small. I’ve been looking at what we put in the oven over the last few weeks and we’d definitely need something bigger than the one we had before.

No preheating is the biggest one. Usually you’d be waiting at least ten minutes for an oven to heat up. Then the cooking time too. In the time waiting for the oven to heat up your air fryer is done.

Commissario
OK, I’ve done some reading up and have gone for that AF451UK. I like the idea that I can throw [for example] some breadcrumbed fish in one side, some chips in the other, set up the timer and temperature on each side, push the sync button and let it do it all automatically.

Yesterday they were full price on Amazon. Today, they’re £30 cheaper. Result.

Back
Top Bottom