Bathroom Extraction - Inline out of roof

Soldato
Hi folks,

As part of my bathroom reno I want to put a proper extraction system in. The front windows are road facing so will hopefully be rarely if ever used. Because I have a hipped roof I am proposing a roof venting system out of my 1930s rosemaries.

What vents would you guys recommend? They seem to range from £30 to $outrageous.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Yea manrose mf100t

Basically you have a vent on your ceiling, then pipe, then fan, then pipe then roof vent.

They are much better than wall ones, I'd recommend one on a timer, and leave it running particularly this time of year, because it gets cold in your loft and it can condense in the pipe very easily.

Soldato
**thread hi-jack**

I'm looking at fitting an inline fan in the loft space as well, although it will vent to the gable wall.

In terms of the bit between the ceiling and the fan, is it best to use a short run of flex pipe or some angle connectors with rigid pipe?

Man of Honour
**thread hi-jack**

I'm looking at fitting an inline fan in the loft space as well, although it will vent to the gable wall.

In terms of the bit between the ceiling and the fan, is it best to use a short run of flex pipe or some angle connectors with rigid pipe?
Personally I'd say use insulated flex if you can, but it's not a hard requirement. The hard piping can end up with condensation on the outside.

Soldato
Personally I'd say use insulated flex if you can, but it's not a hard requirement. The hard piping can end up with condensation on the outside.
I'd quite like to use rigid pipe for the run from the fan to the wall as it's approx 2m and I want the best airflow possible. Insulating it is a good idea, I can even tuck it between the loft insulation layers.

It's the bit between the ceiling and the fan that i'm unsure about, I guess I would need a 90 degree bend, or possibly 2x 45 to get the pipe into the fan

Associate
I've got rigid piping but did have issues with condensation so I wrapped it in a few layers of that insulation sheeting you can get (the stuff that is like silver bubble wrap). Been fine ever since.

Man of Honour
I can - I just can't do that job myself / would prefer someone else to take the risk. The hip I can happily do myself and is low risk.
It's what I got a roofer in for, but for me it's quite a distance to the soffit from the en suite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom