Bathroom Extraction - Inline out of roof

Associate
Sorry i have not been around during the day but here is the photo
BQ1NdIP.jpg

Associate
Overall rigid pipes will give better airflow, however I would say they are harder to work with and take away the ability to make future changes easily. I’m going to add insulation this year, so used flexible so that I can raise the fans on legs.

Soldato
how much airflow difference are we talking between flexible and rigid piping though ?
surely it can't make that much difference, unless you are putting sharp bends in the flexible pipe ?
personally I wanted the flexibility :p of flexible pipe so that is what i used.
I also went with 150mm pipe and fan which gives more airflow so the reduction in airflow i had using flexible hosing was completely negated by using an oversized fan :)

also vented out of the eaves by the way, and the 150mm grill fit in just fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Inline extraction out of the out through say a roof tile vent, is so much better than the in-wall jobbies imo. I did this myself with the main bathroom in our house and the kitchen extraction too as that was woeful.

I use a Manrose MF200T and MF150T. Bulletproof and quiet considering the sheer amount of air they push, but this is helped by also using longer piping runs specifically to keep the sound down.

Caporegime
In line Manrose punter here too.

In my old house, I used flexi hose out through the soffits and did it all myself.

In our new house, the pitch on the roof is too shallow to vent from soffits, so I'm going to have to vent through a roof tile. I want this done properly and don't want to fall off the roof, so am going to have to pay someone to do this for us.

Man of Honour
In line Manrose punter here too.

In my old house, I used flexi hose out through the soffits and did it all myself.

In our new house, the pitch on the roof is too shallow to vent from soffits, so I'm going to have to vent through a roof tile. I want this done properly and don't want to fall off the roof, so am going to have to pay someone to do this for us.
Cost me £200 a few weeks ago for this exact work.

Man of Honour
Mybuilder roofer quoted me 440 :cry:

I've ended up ordering a manrose 150t from Amazon. I can't find the rest of the bits I need so I'll ask the plumber to come armed...
Ha. I was surprised I managed to get through to someone. It was actually £230 but he did a quick job on my garage roof as well which I wasn't able to get to. To me the price is insignificant as prior to the work and venting out the soffit we had damp issues which are now fixed.

Man of Honour
So the MF150T arrived..................................

I feel this may be quite large for my needs :cry: :cry: :cry:

The MF100 even at its lowest setting pulls 180 m3/hr. It would have cycled the air from your bathroom just over 7 times an hour.

That thing you've bought does 400 m2/hr at its lowest setting so would cycle 14 times per hour.

So yes, well over the top :cry: Do you not read data sheets!

Soldato
Looks almost identical to the upgraded fan I used. I used insulated 100mm flexi piping, on a fairly long run. With the old fan, I got a lot of damp forming inside the pipe and during the colder months I would get it dripping back into the bathroom through the cieling vent.

The higher power fan and insulated flexi has much reduced this.

I'd recommend mounting it on a cushioned base. I added a couple of layers of carpet underlay below it. Made a huge different to the noise level in the room below.

Soldato
OP
The MF100 even at its lowest setting pulls 180 m3/hr. It would have cycled the air from your bathroom just over 7 times an hour.

That thing you've bought does 400 m2/hr at its lowest setting so would cycle 14 times per hour.

So yes, well over the top :cry: Do you not read data sheets!
With a username like orifice I thought you'd be commending me for my exemplary albeit over the top suction!

Soldato
OP
Looks almost identical to the upgraded fan I used. I used insulated 100mm flexi piping, on a fairly long run. With the old fan, I got a lot of damp forming inside the pipe and during the colder months I would get it dripping back into the bathroom through the cieling vent.

The higher power fan and insulated flexi has much reduced this.

I'd recommend mounting it on a cushioned base. I added a couple of layers of carpet underlay below it. Made a huge different to the noise level in the room below.
I think I may be downgrading it to an MF100T lol. But yes point taken, I'll put it on a vibration mat of some description.

Soldato
mine is mounted to the rafters and I have considerable vibration noise in the bedrooms that join onto the bathroom. (less than when it was joist mounted but not much)
I am planning on some kind of vibration damping at some point to hopefully reduce it further.

Soldato
OP
Interesting! Didn't know vibration was that bad. In the hold house I had a vented tank that needed a shower pump. I put the pump on a special vibration pad - presumably the same thing can be done.

Back
Top Bottom