Bathroom Extraction - Inline out of roof

Man of Honour
My turn to thread hijack. Looking at the Y piece you can buy for ducting, could I vent my bathroom and kitchen extractor through the same roof outlet? We currently have a crap kitchen hood that just filters rather than extracts, and going out through the wall is not feasible as the boiler is in the way. Could I go up through the ceiling and join it to the bathroom outlet? There'd obviously be backdraught shutters on both, so should stop the kitchen venting into the bathroom.
Also consider the length of the ducting and fans you are using.

Associate
My turn to thread hijack. Looking at the Y piece you can buy for ducting, could I vent my bathroom and kitchen extractor through the same roof outlet? We currently have a crap kitchen hood that just filters rather than extracts, and going out through the wall is not feasible as the boiler is in the way. Could I go up through the ceiling and join it to the bathroom outlet? There'd obviously be backdraught shutters on both, so should stop the kitchen venting into the bathroom.

My ensuite has a room ceiling vent and an inline shower vent that connect in the loft via a Y connector and then out a single roof vent.

Not quite the same as you. Similar distances and not too far for the fans to push.

Soldato
OP
I think this is the main issue, I’m going to fit a Manrose to the bathroom to replace the crappy ceiling one we have currently but I’d need to replace the hob extractor with a much better fan that could cope with a 5m run.
Check extractor world, I think it says something like 10m is fine for the mf100

Soldato
OP
Got the vent fitted externally and in the roof of the bathroom:
3wZWdcN.jpg

I have ran out of ducting though. But I have also realised the ducting it came with is pretty naff.

What is the best stuff please?

Associate
Struggling to visualise ducting going out the eaves. I guess the normal ducting from in line extractor tapors off.

Interested as when our bathroom was done, they forgot to fit an extractor.... We've just had a new roof so don't fancy a roof tile vent.

Our loft is boarded out. But not part near the eaves... Hmmm

Caporegime
Got the vent fitted externally and in the roof of the bathroom:
3wZWdcN.jpg

I have ran out of ducting though. But I have also realised the ducting it came with is pretty naff.

What is the best stuff please?

I believe the best from an airflow perspective is meant to be the solid PVC ducting because there are fewer bends, and it's smooth on the inside so the airflow is theoretically better than flexible hose.

Rigid though is a bit of a pita to work with and the benefit is marginal at best, so I'm planning to buy some pre-lagged aluminium covered flexi hose for hydroponics from Amazon for when I finally decide how I'm doing mine.

Struggling to visualise ducting going out the eaves. I guess the normal ducting from in line extractor tapors off.

Interested as when our bathroom was done, they forgot to fit an extractor.... We've just had a new roof so don't fancy a roof tile vent.

Our loft is boarded out. But not part near the eaves... Hmmm

If I was able to vent through the eaves, I would in a heartbeat. So much easier and less disruptive than roof tile or wall.

Lack of boarding makes it easier if anything as you would have better access to the soffits from above? Just get / make a kneeling board to slide across the joists when you're working (if necessary).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got the vent all hooked up and it worked a treat for my first shower/bath. Zero steam.

The thing is LOUD though, have I got this backwards? I put the fan near the bathroom roof. Should I put the fan as far away as I can?

Soldato
maybe some resonance on the ducting (hadn't realised you'd plumbed in the bath/shower then or it was a virtual shower) but, yes, couldn't listen to the radio4 today whilst vent is operating,
tough call between that and the hob one.

from earlier thread I thought there was some criticality in fan position and duct seamless connections/fall to minimise condensation.

Associate
The noise is like white noise, it's the airflow itself. No vibrations etc and inaudible in the neighboring room.
Looking at the vent picture, that is the exact same vent cover I use, but I cut two of them into the roof of our bathroom. I actually modified the vent covers, removing every other ring, which changed the pitch of the airflow noise a lot. Not as visually appealing of course, what happens to the sound when you remove the vent cover?

Soldato
OP
Looking at the vent picture, that is the exact same vent cover I use, but I cut two of them into the roof of our bathroom. I actually modified the vent covers, removing every other ring, which changed the pitch of the airflow noise a lot. Not as visually appealing of course, what happens to the sound when you remove the vent cover?
Interesting thank you -- I will try removing the cover and see what that does!

Back
Top Bottom